Release mooBoy

Discussion in 'Software Releases' started by mrz, Oct 9, 2013.

1. mrz

mrz Still Fresh

Hi everyone,

you can grab mooBoy, a Gameboy (Color) emulator I've been working on for quite a while now from the repo.

I've developed this from scratch, so it is nowhere near as advanced as VBA or gnuboy, but it performs pretty nicely for most games.

It features everything you would expect from an emulator such as a rombrowser, savestates and ordinary card-saves.

But there is also some extra candy:

• mooBoy remembers which ROM you played last. When you fire up the emu your first option is to load that ROM again, so you don't have to search it from the filesystem.
    • Even better, mooBoy also (if you wish so) creates a savestate when you stop playing a ROM, and offers you to instantly continue from that point when you load it again.
    • Especially for pokemon-fans: The battery clock is simulated even when mooBoy is not running.

This is still beta, so if you encounter any bugs (of which I already know a few), let me know - I'll keep working on it.

Thank you!

PS: Sourcecode's here: https://github.com/mrzzzrm/mooboy

Tags:
  2. ekianjo

ekianjo Hardcore Member

Will definitely give it a try :)

3. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

Just when ive forgotten the charger...

4. Gausen

Gausen Member

Thank you! It works really nice. It will be handy if it could load zipped roms. Finally, is there a way to turn vsync on?

Keep it up!

5. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Very nice!  Dennis, Q*Bert and Bomber Boy seem to run perfectly.  The buttons don't seem to work in Bomber Man, and Chuck Rock crashes quite specacularly, but when it works it works very well (some slight tearing aside).

Not tested any more games yet, but it's pretty impressive for a first release!

6. Klumpen

Klumpen Run away! Run away!

Interesting, maybe this will give us GameBoy-multiplayer sometime?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  7. mrz

mrz Still Fresh

Well, yes, that's part of the plan. I've no idea how good it will turn out because in theory GB-games could demand bit-per-bit transmission (which would be pretty slow), but I guess quite a few games would run nicely.

Trip likes this.
  8. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

I've just tried this with Serpent, Tetris, and Head On, all seem to work great. So thanks, and well done!

9. Gruntfuggly

Gruntfuggly Mostly Harmless

Tried this with Kirby's Pinball Land, but it seems to lock up - wonder if it's because KPL has a battery back up?

Other stuff works fine though...

10. PokeParadox

PokeParadox Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder Staff Member

This is a promising emulator - I seem to see a little tearing still, however!

(Or am I imagining it...)

Good work!