Mojang getting bought by Microsoft (title edited)

Timstertoo

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not Notch, it's Mojang. Mojang is not Notch.

And Notch has the IP for Minecraft, not Mojang. So Minecraft still belongs to Notch anyway.
Of course I realize it's Mojang and not Notch himself. Slavery has been abolished for quite some time even in the US.

But I must admit that I made the assumption that Notch has a majority stake in Mojang and thus it's pretty much him selling the company to Microsoft. If not I retract my statement.

Did a little Google after I wrote the above, this might explain a bit why the opportunity for MS to take over arose.

Of course I realize it's Mojang and not Notch himself.
Then you should change your thread title if you realize that :)  

But I must admit that I made the assumption that Notch has a majority stake in Mojang and thus it's pretty much him selling the company to Microsoft. If not I retract my statement.
Mojang is a company. Notch is an employee.They can buy Mojang but Notch can leave anytime.  

It'll be renamed to ClippyCraft and that turd will be like Navi from Zelda. "Would you like help killing this skeleton", "Oh shit you died.. Should I help you find your stuff?"

Of course I realize it's Mojang and not Notch himself.
Then you should change your thread title if you realize that :)

Mojang is a company. Notch is an employee.They can buy Mojang but Notch can leave anytime.
He is not only an employee, he is also the founder and big (possibly majority) shareholder.

If he is a key asset to the company he can also probably not leave at any time as his continued work for a certain time is likely brokered into the deal.

Of to bed now, more will probably be clear by the time I wake up again!

Sounds bullshit if you ask me.

2 billion seems way to high of a price for it.  Sure minecraft has made a bunch of money but right now they are a one trick pony that has made 100 million dollars which was a bit of a fluke. It wouldn't surprise me if the sales plummet this year to 10 million or so.  The other games mojang have released haven't nearly had the success and well you could almost say was riding on the success of minecraft.

Then again tech companies seem to pay way to much money for things these days.  Too much cash me thinks.

I also think it's funny that Notch was bitching about Facebook buying Oculus...

Persson will stay with Mojang through its transition to Microsoft but plans to leave beyond that
"Yeah, I'll milk this for everything it's worth and leave the company to be culled by MS"

Yeah, I'm *this* close to sending him a hand written letter about what I think of it as someone who's been around since the alpha days :v

Can't imagine that. Notch AFAIK doesn't own Mojang (completely) anymore but I'm sure his influence is still big. And we know how he thinks about big Software companies. Valve and EA were interested in buying Mojang, notch denied. I'm sure he is also not  big friend of Microsoft and overall, Mojang actualy doesn't need money, they are pretty successful and Minecraft still sells like hot cake.

I would really like to know what's behind this rumor. And why Microsoft actualy want to buy Mojang for so much money.

Hopefully this dosnt affekt Minecraft PSVITA Edition..

But i know some Games, some of them from the Original Gameboy, which came frome Microsoft and beeing developt for a Nintendo Console

Per Exemple the Mechwarrior DS Game, (if i remember Correkly)

I just want to throw in an old quote from Notch in here for the lols:

The future

I plan on developing Minecraft until it's a finished complete game, with a downloadable client (with fullscreen mode), custom key re mappings and possibly modding support.

For as long as people enjoy and purchase the game, I will develop extensions after the game is done.
Once sales start dying and a minimum time has passed, I will release the game source code as some kind of open source. I'm not very happy with the draconian nature of (L)GPL, nor do I believe the other licenses have much merit other than to boost the egos of the original authors, so I might just possibly release it all as public domain.
http://web.archive.org/web/20121014094057/https://minecraft.net/game

BTW: What's the first thing you see when visiting https://mojang.com/ ...

I just want to throw in an old quote from Notch in here for the lols:

The future

I plan on developing Minecraft until it's a finished complete game, with a downloadable client (with fullscreen mode), custom key re mappings and possibly modding support.

For as long as people enjoy and purchase the game, I will develop extensions after the game is done.

Once sales start dying and a minimum time has passed, I will release the game source code as some kind of open source. I'm not very happy with the draconian nature of (L)GPL, nor do I believe the other licenses have much merit other than to boost the egos of the original authors, so I might just possibly release it all as public domain.
 http://web.archive.org/web/20121014094057/https://minecraft.net/game

BTW: What's the first thing you see when visiting https://mojang.com/ ...
I guess it wasn't a binding contract, sadly, but we should really remember everyone about that.
On the other hand, I'm not sure I would really like to read that source code, probably it's a mess. :)

Seems like a great shame to me if Mojang 'sell out' to Microsoft. I can't imagine it's for want of money, surely they're rolling in the stuff from sales of Minecraft. If it's not for money then what is it for? Does anyone at Mojang, or elsewhere, really think that Microsoft will do a better job bringing the wonders of Minecraft to the masses?

Seems like a great shame to me if Mojang 'sell out' to Microsoft. I can't imagine it's for want of money, surely they're rolling in the stuff from sales of Minecraft. If it's not for money then what is it for? Does anyone at Mojang, or elsewhere, really think that Microsoft will do a better job bringing the wonders of Minecraft to the masses?
Well there was this tweet of Notch posted that sounded somewhat pissed off (I don't know about what, some critique he received for what he did with Mojang, I guess) and he seemed to just want to get rid of Mojang so he could do something else.
Not that I would agree to that reasoning, that's just how I would understand it.

In fact I could imagine it really well that he actually does get a lot of annoying messages/feelings and that possibly isn't the most well respected indie dev also among indie devs, because he basically just got lucky without being a really good game dev while others work really hard and get much less money. Maybe that's just how I personally perceive him.

Back