Mobile Hotspot

Vasumati

Hello everyone this is my first post, so bear with me here. I tried searching around but i didn't find an answer; so my question is as follows. Will the 4g model of the pyra support mobile hotspot or usb tethering??

un-relates, i will finally be placing my pre-order next week :p

Yes,
with NetworkManager its only 2-3 Clicks to setup as Wifi-Hotspot, USB Thetering needs a little bit more effort from some OS Scripts, but I think those will set the USB as Network by Default (like it is on the Pandora).

Looking at various instructions I've found on the web about making an access point in Linux, it seems to depend on whether the wifi chip you're using has an access point mode. I can't easily find out which chip the Pyra is using though, but someone around here probably knows.

Yes,
with NetworkManager its only 2-3 Clicks to setup as Wifi-Hotspot, USB Thetering needs a little bit more effort from some OS Scripts, but I think those will set the USB as Network by Default (like it is on the Pandora).
excellent. now this truly can replace my smartphone. SAYONARA android botnet.

To be entirely upfront, the Pandora's chip also supported AP mode and it took years before it actually worked because of software issues.
So until someone has actually tested it I wouldn't say "definitely".
The difference between the Pandora and Pyra is that the Pandora's wifi used a closed source driver at first and we didn't get AP mode until the switch to open source, while the Pyra's chip has open source drivers from the start, so odds are much better.

To be entirely upfront, the Pandora's chip also supported AP mode and it took years before it actually worked because of software issues.
So until someone has actually tested it I wouldn't say "definitely".
The difference between the Pandora and Pyra is that the Pandora's wifi used a closed source driver at first and we didn't get AP mode until the switch to open source, while the Pyra's chip has open source drivers from the start, so odds are much better.

So it's more like: it will eventually support it, but that might just cost you a two-months* wait.

*might be slightly more :)

Back