Mmorpgm

javaJake

Jacob Godserv
Website
myhumblecorner.wordpress.com
40w bulb time! :D

So, I've been looking around for something that was like the RPG Maker. I loved that software, but, like Mario Kart 64, once I found out RPG Maker was illegal, I removed it from my system.

Seeing as there's no alternatives, I'm thinking about starting one. Ludicrous, I know, but it is worth a shot. I think it would be great for the Pandora, GP2X, and any other system that can handle 2D grids and maybe some simple animations (if I can pull that off *shiver*).

I've been programming Java applications for over two years now. I'm good enough to the point where I can pick up new libraries, read their API's and docs, and not need any help getting something rolling. At this point, I think I should learn C if I'm going to do anything fun.

So, I need some pointers to start. I can figure out C's syntax and all, but it's the SDL and Pandora bits that get me. I'd like some nudges in those areas, namely, how to code on the PC with SDL so that it ports to the Pandora (and maybe GP2X, though I won't own one) without much fuss.

Also, sound is a given (I'd love to have background music play based on your current coordinates) but the proper libraries to use is not. Linux has about 300^43 choices in sound systems, and I don't have a clue about where I should go to keep the Pandora port realistic.

If you wanted to sum up my post, it'd be: "HELP!!!" ;)

javaJake said:
So, I've been looking around for something that was like the RPG Maker. I loved that software, but, like Mario Kart 64, once I found out RPG Maker was illegal, I removed it from my system.

Seeing as there's no alternatives, I'm thinking about starting one. Ludicrous, I know, but it is worth a shot. I think it would be great for the Pandora, GP2X, and any other system that can handle 2D grids and maybe some simple animations (if I can pull that off *shiver*).
Rather than re-invent the wheel, why not try RPG Toolkit? The toolkit is written in C++ and the source is available under GPL, so it is portable. It would be considerably faster to port the toolkit and use it to make your game than it would be to do the whole thing from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
Rather than re-invent the wheel, why not try RPG Toolkit? The toolkit is written in C++ and the source is available under GPL, so it is portable. It would be considerably faster to port the toolkit and use it to make your game than it would be to do the whole thing from scratch.

It uses DirectX so, it isn't an option (unless anyone want to change all DirectX calls into OpenGL ES calls).

Does the Toolkit support Linux, Solaris, or other Unix-based, Mac, or non-Windows operating systems?

Currently, no. The Toolkit is heavily dependent on Microsoft's DirectX and the Windows API, so ports to other OSs require reliance on Windows API implementations such as Wine, or a substantial rewriting. As of version 3, the Toolkit is an Open Source project, and so anyone is free to port the Toolkit to other platforms if they wish.

Alright, in that case, I'll get an SVN server going and post all the stuff there. First I'll write up some design documentation (as it helps me to think it all out, and it gives people who care about it a chance to give ideas) and then I'll see if I can code the beast. :p

javaJake said:
Alright, in that case, I'll get an SVN server going and post all the stuff there. First I'll write up some design documentation (as it helps me to think it all out, and it gives people who care about it a chance to give ideas) and then I'll see if I can code the beast. :p
I think it's a good idea, but don't forget to look at their toolkit (and their sourcecode) so you can "borrow" some good ideas or "inspirate" in their work (don't forget that it's free software). If you want to do a full rewrite of their engine so it can work with OPENGL ES, it would be a win-win situation: Their toolkit could be executed in other OS (so they get more popularity and more users) and we get "magically" games developed with that toolkit (they only have to been recompiled).

On the other hand, you can start a new project from scratch. If I where you, I would do something similar to NetHack where "the game" and "its graphic representation" are splitted. This way, you can tweak the game rules as you want (with tileset graphics) while another person can be working on a 3D graphic engine for the game.

I think that taking an existing engine such as theirs, and rewriting it into OpenGL will be too much for me. I've only just started working with C, let alone DirectX, OpenGL, and SDL. :)

I didn't know that NetHack splits the project in half, but that's what I plan on doing. There'll be two major seperations: script/AI management and user-interaction. Within those splits there'll be separate "modules" that manage different kinds of user input, different ways of displaying the game, etc.

I'll certainly play around with their software, but I can tell you I won't be supporting many of their features in version 1. I'm just not able to do advanced stuff yet. :p

Oh, almost forgot, I'm thinking about registering at Launchpad.net instead of the usual SourceForge or Savannah. In dealing with Ubuntu, Launchpad has impressed me more than any other project in their ability to organize ideas, bugs, and code into a format everyone can understand and can be easily administrated. It's project administration for human beings (*chuckle*).

If anyone has an opinion on this, now's the time to speak.

javaJake said:
I didn't know that NetHack splits the project in half, but that's what I plan on doing. There'll be two major seperations: script/AI management and user-interaction. Within those splits there'll be separate "modules" that manage different kinds of user input, different ways of displaying the game, etc.
Well, I haven't look at NetHack source code, but as they are so many graphic user interfaces for that game I supose that "game logic" and "user interface" code must be splitted. If I had done something like NetHack, I would had done it that way: splitting "game logic" and "user interface" code.

[EDIT]
By the way, I am David Gutiérrez Palma that logged in with my old nickname by mistake (sorry).

Can't you just buy RPG Maker? I know that's kind of beside the point of a nice opensource program, but still... lol

You know, now that I think about it more, that would be pretty cool. As well as Zelda Classic. *shakes fist at Zelda Classic guys*

RPG Yes, "Nethack" no. :( I've played alot RPGs in my Life but The gameplay of Nethack was the worst experience for me. I don't complain about the "graphics" but the gameplay itself lacks completely of fun. You Die and you can start again. No real save (I've tested GP2X Version), no real Information of what to do, no real rewards...
This game principe is so far away from Diablo2 & Co. that "lightyears" can't describe it. Maybe I've played it wrong but I really couldn't find anything in this game what you could describe with "fun" :(

I would be happy, if someone use his Coding Skills to make a beefed Diablo2-like game or something like Dungeon Siege or Turn based things like Phantasy Star isn't bad to...

Y

Dimacus said:
Im currently working on a RPGmaker-ish game engine for the 2x and the pandora here
Is this the sort of thing you were looking for?

Yes, absolutely.

woogal said:
There's also CACK - GPL and cross platform. Feel free to use the code if you want.

Well, now we have two projects that do the same thing. We either copy code to another project, or we merge (with the better-structured project retaining more of its code).

fusion_power said:
RPG Yes, "Nethack" no. :( I've played alot RPGs in my Life but The gameplay of Nethack was the worst experience for me. I don't complain about the "graphics" but the gameplay itself lacks completely of fun. You Die and you can start again. No real save (I've tested GP2X Version), no real Information of what to do, no real rewards...
it has save, but its permadeath. othwise what is the point of random?
it has plenty of rewards!

This game principe is so far away from Diablo2 & Co. that "lightyears" can't describe it. Maybe I've played it wrong but I really couldn't find anything in this game what you could describe with "fun" :(

mm no you just played it wrong. completely wrong.

Well, Luminas source is not very pretty, is more in a state of chaos :p
This is the main reason I have not made the source available yet, I will release it tough when I have cleaned the source a bit (And if I for some reason discontinue to work on the project, i will release the source).

I don't really think CACK and Lumina is heading towards the same goal, I cant put my finger on it, but when I was reading about CACK in different threads, I got the impression that we want somewhat different things with our projects, but I might be wrong.

It would probably cost more time, and sanity, to merge the two projects, than to write a new-one from scratch.
If you do feel like trying thou, I could send you the current "working" source.
But I am not really interested in actively working on a merger, I feel I want to continue to work on Lumina.

I would however welcome anyone who want to contribute to Lumina in any way (sound Fx, music, sprites, programming, web design, story writing, level design and so on).

Dimacus said:
Well, Luminas source is not very pretty, is more in a state of chaos :p
This is the main reason I have not made the source available yet, I will release it tough when I have cleaned the source a bit (And if I for some reason discontinue to work on the project, i will release the source).
This is why I thought I'd go with CACK for the most part.

It would probably cost more time, and sanity, to merge the two projects, than to write a new-one from scratch.
If you do feel like trying thou, I could send you the current "working" source.
But I am not really interested in actively working on a merger, I feel I want to continue to work on Lumina.

Well, it depends, I guess. The idea would be to put the best of both projects into one.

I would however welcome anyone who want to contribute to Lumina in any way (sound Fx, music, sprites, programming, web design, story writing, level design and so on).

That's what I'm here for. (Mostly programming, but I do like a good story.) I'll soon announce what I've decided to do once I've finalized a current, very unique IRC bot project. :)

Back