Micro HDMI moved to above USB2.0 for lateral L2, R2 Triggers

Saber

Advanced Member
My question is was there a reason the HDMI port wasn't moved to above the other USB 2.0 port like was done with the Pyra's micro USB debug/charge port on the backside to allow side by side L2 and R2 shoulder buttons and maybe to fit a longer, easier sourced hinge assembly then?

The micro HDMI is relatively small, like the micro USB, and shouldn't interfere except in the rarest of cases if USB cables were coincided with the micro ones. Just curious why it wasn't or if it could still be done this way.

My question is was there a reason the HDMI port wasn't moved to above the other USB 2.0 port like was done with the Pyra's micro USB debug/charge port on the backside to allow side by side L2 and R2 shoulder buttons and maybe to fit a longer, easier sourced hinge assembly then?

The micro HDMI is relatively small, like the micro USB, and shouldn't interfere except in the rarest of cases if USB cables were coincided with the micro ones. Just curious why it wasn't or if it could still be done this way.
Because your suggestion is too late to do anything now.

Well, that HDMI port would be one side. On the other side is the Micro USB3.0 OTG port, which would also need to be moved.

However, the other problem is that the speakers need an empty closed space for backvolume - so we can't put anything on the other side anymore.

Well, that HDMI port would be one side. On the other side is the Micro USB3.0 OTG port, which would also need to be moved.

However, the other problem is that the speakers need an empty closed space for backvolume - so we can't put anything on the other side anymore.
Thank you ED. Hope the newer shoulder button designs work out but if anyone was curious below is what I was getting at: 

ckAXDt9.png

Note: Speakers wouldn't be seen from this vantage and are shown only for relative position to the backside. Empty spacing between the two rows is where the board is. Size is not exact to scale. 

Regardless, enjoy your weekend.  :)

some reasons:

* you sometimes want to use HDMI + both USB2.0

* but rarely the uUSB2 and all USB2.0 (because it is only the UART console for kernel development and secondary charger option if you can't charge through uUSB3)

* the other USB2.0 is combined with the eSATA port and that leaves no space for wiring a stacked uHDMI on the PCB

* at this position we already have the vibrator rumble motor (which should not be too close to the speakers)

Last edited by a moderator:
some reasons:

* you sometimes want to use HDMI + both USB2.0

* but rarely the uUSB2 and all USB2.0 (because it is only the UART console for kernel development and secondary charger option if you can't charge through uUSB3)

* the other USB2.0 is combined with the eSATA port and that leaves no space for wiring a stacked uHDMI on the PCB

* at this position we already have the vibrator rumble motor (which should not be too close to the speakers)
Thank you Nikolaus. I see it was quite the puzzle for you. Given what you've said though, is the rough sketched arrangement below a possibility?

VKY2g4v.png

Are you going to keep going until he says yes? 

The answer is clearly no.

Also read GTA04's last post carefully ;)

Wait, the speakers are on the back now? Why?
Larger LCD screen, no room on the lid.

No, they're on the top of the base.

Note: Speakers wouldn't be seen from this vantage and are shown only for relative position to the backside. Empty spacing between the two rows is where the board is. Size is not exact to scale. 

yeah, but they're still not on the LCD lid.. which I thought is what Silent-Hunter was implying was different.. I guess I need to make more of an assumption of what someone means in a poorly constructed statement.

Are you going to keep going until he says yes? 

The answer is clearly no.

Also read GTA04's last post carefully ;)
Just so we are clear, I didn't ask your opinion nor do I care if you even have one to sputter on about.  ;)

For the rest, I was curious why the micro ports weren't staggered at the upper backs gaps. Why the rumble wasn't placed above the full size USB ports in the middle away from the speakers, like Nikolaus mentioned, to facilitate putting those tiny ports in those places(instead of, in the case of the micro USB debug port, directly above the USB 2.0 port as we have now). Yes, I do know it's probably too late for any changes but I was interested in the reasons is all on what prevented him from doing it that way.

Larger LCD screen, no room on the lid.

No, they're on the top of the base.

Oh thank goodness. I thought they were facing out the back.

Back