Release mhWaveEdit Record, play, edit and convert sound files

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
Just recompiled this utility.

It's an editor for sound files who can also record from the internal mic of the pandora.

I have tested with my Pandora and have recorded my voice correctly with it B)

Download on the repo http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=mhwaveedit

Some tip to enable mic recording on Pandora

First follow the wiki about enabling mixer controls see here http://pandorawiki.org/Audio_system#Recording

Now with the new version (1.4.23) all the settings are allready setted at the start of the program, only if you are using the old PND click on the spoiler

In order to obtain the mic to record from this program go to EDIT/Preferences and switch to SOUND tab,

now on driver options choose Settings and type on Recording device hw:0,1

Now go to PLAY menu and select Record at bottom (or press F12) .

The first time you run this utillity you have to set the Sample format, otherwise we can't record.

I choose other format and changed this parameters:

Channels : Stereo (mono is not supported by the driver)

Sample type : 16 bit PCM

and left as default the others.

Now some pandora shots:

Main of app:

main.png

shot of prefs on how to setup the mic:

mic_prefs.png

Happy recording :)

27/01/2013 erased the old pnd and reupdated a new one with screenshot and more compliant pxml file and added here some shots

12/12/2013 released the new version 1.4.23

08/10/2016 Update...fixed the pnd that was not running in new firmware.

Last edited:
Cool, recording works well, however it does not record both left and right, only the left side in my case... and 8bit PCM does not work, only 16bits. ANy idea why ?

Yes recording is done on one channel only...so not stereo but  enabling mono report that is not supported by the input driver..so it's bit strange..maybe it's the driver.

One thing that didn't work is the Launch mixer option on the record page, so clicking on it doing nothing as expect to run the prog xmixer (we don't have it on Pandora ..i think),

i tryed with alsamixer but nothing is launched...don't know maybe someone more expert on this.

I believe that the headset line is the right channel, and the built-in mic is the left recording channel. Why? I dunno - ask MWeston.

Yes recording is done on one channel only...so not stereo but  enabling mono report that is not supported by the input driver..so it's bit strange..maybe it's the driver.
So, does this mean it is not possible to record in stereo on Pandora ? Is the microphone a mono microphone and not a stereo one, or is this a software/firmware issue ? 

Left channel is the microphone, but right channel is somewhere in that cursed tv out port. So yea, it is impossible to record stereo.

Left channel is the microphone, but right channel is somewhere in that cursed tv out port. So yea, it is impossible to record stereo.
How about if you connect a USB microphone ? Would stereo recording work ? 

by the way Farox, an idea for improvement : can you setup the right recording settings before packaging the PND so that new users would not have to do the setup by themselves ? That could be great to avoid the extra steps :)

Actually, the right mic channel is in the headset socket on the front.  The EXT port OTOH has stereo line in.

I was able to get input to the right channel using the mic on the Nokia headset which came with my 6120c. (WH-701)

It should work with any headset that uses 3.5mm TRRS plug that was not designed to work with an iPhone.

- Neelix

by the way Farox, an idea for improvement : can you setup the right recording settings before packaging the PND so that new users would not have to do the setup by themselves ? That could be great to avoid the extra steps :)
I don't have an usb mic to test..but i think i still have (if i find it) the Nokia headset, so i could make a test

About the improvement in code, i could do it, but i want also to fix the mixer launch not working...i still haven't found what prog to run...alsamixer don't work maybe because is a cli prog ?

I don't have an usb mic to test..but i think i still have (if i find it) the Nokia headset, so i could make a test

About the improvement in code, i could do it, but i want also to fix the mixer launch not working...i still haven't found what prog to run...alsamixer don't work maybe because is a cli prog ?
I have a USB mic... what device should I setup in the preferences for recording?

Try xfce4-mixer

As for the USB mic:

I hooked up a Logitech USB headset. The mixer could see the microphone and listed it as a capture device (mono)

I ran arecord in a terminal to find the recording device:

$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: omap3pandora [omap3pandora], device 0: HiFi Out twl4030-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: omap3pandora [omap3pandora], device 1: Line/Mic In twl4030-hifi-1 []
card 1: Headset [Logitech USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
$
Going by the output it looks like the device in this case should be hw:1,0 (card 1, device 0)(hw:1,1 doesn't exist though that's the one I would have expected to be correct)

So I set recording device in Alsa Settings to hw:1,0 then clicked Play -> Record.

First thing it told me was that "This format is not Supported by the input driver" so I selected a Mono input. At this point mhWavEdit went to 100% CPU usage and effectively crashed. (I killed it within a minute)

- Neelix

this software works well but i was wondering, is there any way to up the sensitivity of the Pandora's built in mic as it's a lil quiet for recording stuff?

Just tested with my Samsung Galaxy S headset and it record from 2 sources 1) internal Mic 2) Ext mic ..don't know if it will be considered stereo.

Just enable (on the XFCE-4 Mixer on Switches tab) both

Analog Left Main Mic

and

Analog Right Sub Mic

Now (thanks to Neelix) if you change xmixer to xfce4-mixer  (in preferences/other tab under external applications) you should be able to launch the Pandora mixer

so you could enable the mics and adjusting volume of the channels

correct xfce4-mixer... and not xfce-4-mixer.... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Works great for me on newly-updated Pandora running SuperZaxxon 1.54, although the device names are different than on the wiki page now .. 

Also, couldn't get the xfce-4-mixer thing to work.

Hi everyone,

I'm the author of mhWaveEdit. I'm not involved in OpenPandora so I didn't see this post until now.

Regarding the launch mixer button, when you build the package you can change which mixer program is the default (instead of xmixer) by doing:

./configure --with-default-mixerapp=xfce4-mixerNeelix: If you want to, you could check out the latest development version from Git (https://github.com/magnush/mhwaveedit) and see if you can still reproduce your recording crash. In that case, send me an email and I'll try to debug it with you.
Regards,

Magnus

Hi and wellcome Magnush

I'm the author of the recompiled version of your great sound utility to the Pandora handheld.

Sorry for not noticing to you about my port, it's something that i forgot to do sometimes :rolleyes:

I want to try building your latest git sources and rebuild a new packages with your suggestions.

Thanks

Back