Merciless life in Japan

I dont have time to read it in full, but it seems like a quickly written article when I see the suicide argument being dropped like a bomb out of nowhere: 

No wonder Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, at 18.5 per 100,000 inhabitants — about 60 percent higher than the global average of 11.4. As in most of the rest of the world (the most notable exception being China), men in Japan kill themselves at a much higher rate than women.
Suicide is a complex thing (everywhere, not only in Japan) and there's no single answer as to why people do it. 

I'll check the article in more details later, there are some known true facts but interpretation is always hazardous. 

... Hmmm Japan... That country has always made me feel strongly... in very different ways.

Overall I would love to see it once, but I will never. I am very sure about that.. :(

But to get to the topic again, I think that for somebody who grew up in a western country it would always seem strange how

they live their lives. But on the other hand, just look at the differences in every-ones own country. I can tell you that even in

the small part of germany, where I live, the people are very different... So I think that in Japan it will be just the same :D

As almost a "Schwabe" I can really connect to the working habits of the Japanese :D  

I appreciated the cartoon "Black Lagoon" years ago, but only after reading that article I can understand how the main character was feeling at the beginning...

It seems there is  always some truth in the cliche's about countries. ^^"  Still scary to read stuff like: "According to a survey conducted by OZmall, a popular Japanese women’s information site, 72 percent of women would not be willing to marry without money". 

There seems to be no real love anymore on this planet. :(  Yes, I have no money but still dream about to meet a cute asian girl. I have other qualities than ordinary money... ;)

In Japan, it's mostly due to overworked people.
Oh, wow, that's like an educated comment right there. Do you live in Japan ?

72 percent of women would not be willing to marry without money".
Well if women want to stop working after marriage, of course they need to ensure that the man is capable to generate income. Marriage is not only about love, it's a long term life investment especially in a country where divorce is still not super well accepted.

Is your life in Japan as merciless as this article?
To give you some perspective, life is way more merciless in a bunch of other countries and the ones who find Japan merciless are probably a bunch of crybabies who have never been in actual harsh situations. There's a lot of things you don't have to worry about in Japan and quality of life is overall pretty great. It's nowhere perfect and no country is, but Japan is one of the better places to live still.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think people in Japan consider the places that are objectivly worse off when they kill themselves. It could be that japan to some japanese people

is harsh, whereas it may not appear that way if you come from a different background.

Reported hapiness isn't synonymous with industrial evolution.

I think we moved from doing the good old things more efficiently with technology to relying on that productivity in doing things humans arent adapted to as a continuation.

Edit: I clicked this topic because i thought it was a Merciful Fate coverband. :)

Expats always have to deal with culture shock. If your personal culture is at odds with a country's culture, this is probably a sign that you shouldn't work there.

Too many conventions, too much priority on money, too few honesty in social interactions and in general, I could never be happy in Japan, even if all the cute girls would like my European features, colour-changing blue/green/grey eyes and long blonde hair.

I may be too conservative for many western people but surely too much of a hippie for people there.

As my half-japanese ex-gf said so nicely "it's nice for a vacation".

'nuff said.

I have seen a movie, "Lust of the Dead", that's actually a trash-movie, but there's a TV show in it with a man who explains how women destroyed the entire umanity just because they wanted to have rights :D

The theory was something like this (anyway he explains that better than me):

- At the beginning men were bashing a girl in the head to take her in their cavern, and all was working right, the strongest and his childrens were surviving to make a stronger next generation.

- Then the bats were substituted with flowers, so girls started to go with the ones that had MORE flowers, and men started to fight for those flowers.

- Flowers were substituted by money, the fights became wars, and at some point the evolution changed, a stronger man without money started to be also without females, and the few rich ones were to create the next generation, choosing from many females, but limiting in this way the diffusion of many genetic aspects, and starting a Devolution

Back