Menu Corruption

newpakman1o8

Still Fresh
Hello. Everything was fine with my Pandora until I started applying skins. I applied a selected few such as Executive in /pandora/mmenu/skins. However, this would cause a corruption in my menu as now it just blinks setting up menu when I select in the Pandora itself with the please login screen over and over screen, even when I boot up. I tried to reinstate the default skin, but then that happened. How do I fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:
There were some skins for an earlier version of minimenu that seem to break everything. Delete the skin from SD Card, it should go back to normal.

^Minimenu really hasn't had much love over the years. Skeezix may know for sure.

just downloaded "executive" skin and comparing the file mmskin.conf inside the zip and the default one that you can find at etc/pandora/mmenu/skins/default

i see some more parameters inside the default one in the firmware....perhaps adding missing parameters the skin could work.

Anyway consider that this skins are really old (2010) and in this years firmware (and minimenu) have evolved.

Yupp, old MiniMenu skins can mess up MiniMenu for sure, DON'T use tem at all.  I wish MiniMenu would get some "fail-safe" mechanics to prevent this.  Deleting the wrong skin and/or changing to the default skin (manualy editing minimenu config file) should help.  

Warning2: it's also "deadly" to minimenu if you have the "remember last selected file" feature enabled and delete the corresponding app somehow (via desktop or elsewhere). MiniMenu will not even start then or hangs in a loop.  :(

How do I remove Minimenu completely from NAND to save some space as I don't use it at all these days (I used to use it but not anymore)?

Warning2: it's also "deadly" to minimenu if you have the "remember last selected file" feature enabled and delete the corresponding app somehow (via desktop or elsewhere). MiniMenu will not even start then or hangs in a loop. :(
Shameless self advertising ahead!

This specific issue is fixed (along with a couple of others) in the test version of minimenu I posted here somewhere (edit: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14449-proposal-recovery-menu-for-minimenu-aka-breaking-the-crash-loop ). Unfortunately I don't care for skins and haven't looked into the skin related failures, but the test version also includes a new wrapper that will allow you to at least start a shell in these crash loops. Caveat: it is a test version and may cause other issues. Also skeezix doesn't like it :)

Ah, I remember. :)

But I don't use MiniMenu much anymore. Would be nice to see "official" future improvements built into the firmware version. MiniMenu is actualy pretty handy and great for beginners. But it needs more polishing and some bugfixing.

I hope the Pyra Version of MiniMenu (if there will be one) does this right from the beginning. Should not be to hard.

How do I remove Minimenu completely from NAND to save some space as I don't use it at all these days (I used to use it but not anymore)?
sudo opkg --force-depends remove pandora-libpnd-minimenu I suppose.

Back