Mediatek Helio X20 - Deca Core processor with 3 cluster design

Askarus

Forum Addict!
It seems to be a nice processor. Actually 11 Cores.
2 x A72 (2,2 GHz), 4 x A53(2 GHz), 4 x A53 (1,4 GHz) + 1 x M4.

If it doesn't fail in the end I might prefer this one over an Intel one.
Could be a nice Pyra processor.

We can't let the CPU discussion dying ;).

Here some Links.
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/38199-mediatek-x20-deca-core-is-actually-three-core-processor
http://techreport.com/news/28258/mediatek-packs-10-cores-into-its-helio-x20-soc

And the Successor:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Medi...esign-as-Helio-X20-but-with-new-cores_id75701

hmm.. the comments on that first page are more interesting than the article itself. Thanks for that.

How much more powerful would this CPU be compared to the current CPU planned for the Pyra?

How much more powerful would this CPU be compared to the current CPU planned for the Pyra?
Considerable, however availability, company willing to work with EvilDragon and such still may be a concern. Also it may not be the coolest thing on the block by the time ED is considering a new SoC module.

Let's do this in the worst way possible: dual A15 in the Pyra is comparable to an iPhone 5, where the dual A72 in this chip is like an iPhone 6. Apple bigwigs said the 5S was 2 times as fast as the 5 and the 6 is 1.25 times as fast as the 5S... so by using horribly inaccurate Apple arithmetic, this chip is 2.5 times as fast as the Pyra.

There. Proof.

Consider that Pyra will have two Cortex A15....
The performance of A72 is roughly twice that of the A15... and the power consumption (let this image talk):
See also and also(where the best currently offered SOC is the one the Pyra is getting)
powerconsumption.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, that's pretty cool. Of course with the Pyra still being in development it's a wait and see kinda situation right.

The only problem would be that Mediatek usually only supports Android. Read: They either publish a binary blob or their source tree is full of binary blobs.
And I doubt they take orders under 100.000.

I don't care what anyone says, but if ARM continues on the trend it has for the last decade of such innovative IP's... I feel like Intel will be the ones who are going to get worried.
I mean that 16nm FinFET process alone basically halves power consumption, simply incredible. Phones having battery life that is measured in days rather than hours is less than a decade away.

I don't care what anyone says, but if ARM continues on the trend it has for the last decade of such innovative IP's... I feel like Intel will be the ones who are going to get worried.
I mean that 16nm FinFET process alone basically halves power consumption, simply incredible.

Intel have been putting trigate transistors in its processors for four years now, which are pretty much FinFET transistors by another name. And 'that 16nm FinFET process' is probably a TSMC development, not an ARM one (though to be fair, I've no idea if you can simply swap a larger non-finFET process for a smaller finFET one, or if a redesign is strictly necessary).

Thanks for the info, that's pretty cool. Of course with the Pyra still being in development it's a wait and see kinda situation right.

Nope for all intents and purposes the Pyra is done being developed.

In time though ED will likely put out a new SoC, to upgrade the Pyra.

Last time mediatek was on the table, they weren't interested in selling SoCs in such small volumes and they didn't have any linux support at all. Has that changed since?

Last time mediatek was on the table, they weren't interested in selling SoCs in such small volumes and they didn't have any linux support at all. Has that changed since?

Don't know.
It was not meant specifically for Pyra usage.

During the processor wars I liked how I got informed of new processors here. So I decided I'd share this info here as it sounded pretty interesting. That's all :).

Hmm... I like the SoC and CPU discussions - but I don't think it belongs in Pyra General talk - maybe we should have a 'hot new processors' thread in Offtopic or Other Consoles that we can all pile these into and discuss them in?

That outlet would be rapidly filled with Intel and AMDs latest chip news though I suspect. While I'm interested in that to some extent, I already get enough Intel news from other sources. Perhaps we could have a 'hot new handheld CPU' section though, to limit that only to Intels tablet processors, and include things from MIPS and others where I don't really hear about their new processors or architectures.

Power is as encompassing a term as it is when applied to processors. Leaving out the GPU side makes the argument rather quaint, since the heaviest tasks arent superPI type loads. They also may or may not be accelerated. Those features matter on a battery operated device.

To get performance gains, upgrade the storage I/O and load it with more RAM. Its the slowest stuff you gain the most from improving upon, not the synthetic benches.

And lets not stare ourselves blind on CPU-power, how it applies to software is what matters. And considering the ARM-landscape, there are huge pitfalls there.

Performance is what you get when it comes down to it.
It is not one number, nor one graph. Apply grains of salt in copious amounts to PR-data from whoever stands to benefit from publishing it. Making the claim and also the product is not independent, nor in this case scientific. It is based somewhere in the landscape of best case/wishful thinking, and often spurious.

Glad we found the real reason mediatek is garbage. Also, I don't want an integrated non-modular modem built into my processor. Being fast on the 100meter dash stops being cool when you get cancer by getting there.

What intel does well is whatever the ARM business isnt. It is very much a cartel industry, and the products each are in don't have a great sense of overlap. One tries to make expensive throwaway performance products, the other tries to make inexpensive throwaway conveniences.

I think AMD has reason to succeed with their ARM line. Maybe that will be the cross-section that the pyra is in.

I think AMD has reason to succeed with their ARM line. Maybe that will be the cross-section that the pyra is in.
Their Seattle Opterons that were finally released this month do look pretty impressive. The only benchmark I have seen so far was coming from a leaked engineering sample about 3 months ago, though.

I guess we'll need to wait until they finish their own ARM architecture that they've announced for 2017 until we see something that fits for the Pyra, I doubt we'll see anything other than some other server chips until then.

Back