Mame Help

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
ok, so i downloaded win-rar like someone suggested in a previous thread, and I put the actual emulator on my smc. I downloaded a bunch of LEGAL roms from ares p2p, and now i have NO idea what to do!

the roms dont have any .fxe files or anything, it just appears as though they have a bunch of random files shoved into a folder, and when i extract them all to my gpmm/mamegp32/roms folder, the games arent detected. anyone know what the problem is?

edit: what do i need sources for? are they important, and are they a must have? :ph34r: :ph34r:

Did you read the README that came with the MAME pack?

The roms are contained within a .zip file.

Simply put this .zip file in the ROMS folder, as described in the README.

DO NOT UNZIP THESE FILES ... they won't work if you do :)

I'm new to the gp32 scene and don't really have business giving advice, but I can tell you that if it's anything like playing emulators on the pc, it usually works like this: Each emulator file is usually zipped with folders inside it for games. You usually just click and drag the game roms into a designated game folder within the emulator appropriate to it. This could be something you're already way past, but you didn't specifiy so it was just an idea.

Again, I don't know the gp32 specifics, so I can't say with authority. But if it's anything similar, you just need the games to be within the right folders for each emulator and then just begin the emulator like normal.

TelcoLou posted on Sep 15 2005 at 10:27 PM said:
Did you read the README that came with the MAME pack?

The roms are contained within a .zip file.

Simply put this .zip file in the ROMS folder, as described in the README.

DO NOT UNZIP THESE FILES ... they won't work if you do :)
hmmm, very curious. i think you may have just solve my problem :)

thanks to the both of you for the help. im trying it as we speak

Last edited by a moderator:
no, nothing <_<

and the read me files all say the same thing; they dont give any real advice, just where the roms came from and legal jargon...

i put the fully zipped files into the rom folder and still nothing was detected :huh: :huh:

Again, I'm working from the pc here:

Are you getting the roms in .zip format or .rar format? If they're in zip, if I recall correctly you just put the zipped roms in the mame games folder without opening them. Don't know about rar though..

Are you sure you read the README included in the MAME pack?

4. INSTALLATION
---------------

\GPMM\mamegp32.fxe   -> General frontend to select games
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mclassic.fxe -> Emulator for about 500 classics: Pacman, Frogger, Donkey Kong, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\matari.fxe -> Emulator for Atari games: Tetris, Missile Command, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mcapcom.fxe -> Emulator for Capcom games: Ghosts'n Goblins, Commando, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mdataeas.fxe -> Emulator for Data East games: Breakthru, Shoot Out, Oscar, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mirem.fxe -> Emulator for Irem games: Vigilante, Kung Fu Master, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mkonami.fxe -> Emulator for Konami games: Contra, Yie Ar Kungfu, Track & Field, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mnamco.fxe -> Emulator for Namco games: Motos, Xevious, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\msega.fxe -> Emulator for Sega games: Zaxxon, Wonder Boy, Pitfall 2, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mtaito.fxe -> Emulator for Taito games: Bubble Bobble, Arkanoid, Tokio, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mtechnos.fxe -> Emulator for Technos Japan games: Double Dragon, Renegade, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mtecmo.fxe  -> Emulator for Tehkan/Tecmo games: Bomb Jack, Rygar, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mvector.fxe -> Emulator for vector games: Asteroids, Tempest, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mwilliam.fxe -> Emulator for Williams games: Blaster, Defender, Joust, Robotron, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\mothers.fxe -> Emulator for other games: Pang, Psychic 5, Ninja Kid 2, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\m68000.fxe -> Games with M68000 processor: Snow Bros, Karnov, Gauntlet, etc...
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\CFG\  -> Configuration files
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\HI\  -> High Scores
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\JOY\  -> Analog joystick configuration files
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\KEY\  -> Control configuration files (joystick and buttons).
\GPMM\MAMEGP32\ROMS  -> ROM's directory, as ZIP files or in subfolders with unzipped ROMs.

And are you sure you put these roms in the folder I've bolded? Are you even sure they're MAME roms?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, is the game on the Mame 0.34 list of supported games
it may not be supported by GP32 mame anyway

I bought the Atari 80 classic games CD from my local 'Game' shop in the high street this has some Mame roms that work (and I legally own them)

I got some balls and went back to trying to get mame to work.

I advanced a step: I wa able to put bandito (just a test game that I found on the list) on in the 'roms' section, and it shows up in the directory :) :)

here's the problem:
" calling 'mamegp32/mclassic.fxe' to load 'mamegp32/roms/bandito'
unable to open....
gp:\gpmm\mamegp32\mclassic.fxe

what the FUCK is the problem?? shit this is frustrating....

Also, when I load up the gp32, there are 2 icons. one says "mamegp32 1.9 (drz80)", and one "mamegp32 1.9". they both appear to lead to the same thing.

im so confused :unsure:

any help is appreciated

-DCGM

gp:\gpmm\mamegp32\mclassic.fxe

That is your problem . ^

Look in that folder and see if the file "mclassic.fxe" is there, If it`s not, Then you don`t have the full mame release for the GP32 but maybe only the launcher.

Btw: There should be about 12 .fxe`s in that folder.

matari.fxe
mcapcom.fxe
mclassic.fxe
mdataeas.fxe
mirem.fxe
mkonami.fxe
mnamco.fxe
mothers.fxe
msega.fxe
mtaito.fxe
mtechnos.fxe
mtecmo.fxe

Trooper

hmmm.... well, as far as I remember, you just follow the readme and then make sure the roms you get are on the list of supported games (comes with full download). About those two .fxe's, i think that one of them is optimized for specific games, but i'm not sure (never tried it...).

delete it all off & start again...are the roms defo compatible?

ok, so what's the latest problem - what error messages are you getting?

what games have you tried?

is the error the same for each game?

how is your folder set-up? (re-check on your card rather than go from memory)

Back