Mame Cabinet

impressive!
i thought you were doing a run of the mill mame cab before clicking the link.
this is soemthing i always wanted to do, just don't have the space or time now.

keep us updated

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How could you totally destroy a Ridge Racer cab to make a Mame one?

I don't care if you've kept all the parts so it can be put back together, it's still sacrilige!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How could you totally destroy a Ridge Racer cab to make a Mame one?

I don't care if you've kept all the parts so it can be put back together, it's still sacrilige!

But ridge racer is available in mame, So there`s no loss.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
how much does a ridge racer cab cost, and how did you get it into your house :blink:

*would love one of those for GT4.....*

Does anyone know what is the LEAST expensive Mame cabinet one can buy/build that would look decent?? I've been wanting to do one of these forever... but can't really afford to spend much on it...

WOW!

It always been a dream to me to built one of these myself.I hope I will do so someday!
Good luck, craigix!

i think the cheapest thing to do is to buy an old capcom or snk/neo geo cab for a few hundred and then drop in a pc maybe an xbox :D
even cheaper is to build the cabinet yourself. also, there are pre-built mame cabinets like this one http://www.slikstik.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=8, but these are usually VERY expensive.
it's a fun and cool project that i've always wanted to get into...

the driving game/exotic cabs i have no clue on..

how much we talking for an old cab?

Do you guys try to use the joystick/buttons built into the cab or swap it out for something else? What about the monitor?

On ebay for a standard cab its about £50 give or take. The interfaces with PC equipment are a lot easier now with J-pacs (interface board) etc. I tend to use original fixtures and fittings, although you can USB joysticks if necessary.

As for software, the most easy to use and configurable I've found is MAMEWAH running on Windows XP. Even on an old 1100 Duron its pretty fast. Linux is just too hard to get around for me.

The whole point is using the original controls! :D

If you need to buy new joysticks and buttons, I'd recommend Ultimarc, who also do the I-Pac and J-Pac boards - excellent value...

As for processors, it depends what you want to play - if you wanted to play the same sort of games that gpMame can currently cope with you could get away with something very basic - my machine only has a 433 and a cheap old 2D graphics card in...

You can use the original monitors too, but they are usually lower resolution (the older ones at least) and your PC probably won't be able to generate a picture. You can use a J-Pac board to connect to one, but your probably better off just shoving an old PC monitor inside the cabinet instead...

I love stuff like this.

One day I might do something myself.

Have you seen that table thing you can get? It's pre-built like but it looks boss. It's like a flat table with controls on each side.

Looks good.

I'm teetering on the brink of building one. I have an old PC (700mhz), and have looked at these X style joysticks (can't find the link). But I reckon it should be quite easy!

It just looks so cool though, to have a ridge cab! God I loved that game! Best Sound Ever (apart from outrun, which mame still can't handle-or am I wrong...?)

You mean the old classic Sega Outrun? The psuedo-3d non-polygon one?

Hell, even mame on Xbox can play the original outrun and the sequel (I think it's called Outrunners? Reminds me a lot of the Cruisin' racing games) perfectly. I didn't think it would but threw it on there to try, and was very pleasantly suprised when even the sequel, which actually looks pretty darn good for it's age, ran perfectly.

The monitors I got are SVGA, upto about 1200*1600 so excellent value.

As for controls i'm still looking at the options, is X-Arcade as good as they claim? Or do I really just need the standard arcade unbranded ones?

The X-arcade, even the 2 player one, will be a bit too small for the size of the cabinet, so I think I might need to build my own panel.

It would be great to make it so the steering wheel and pedals could be used on racing games, but it all looks very analogue inside...

I really want to keep the ridge racer speakers - they sound EXCELLENT.

Should have the monitor in by tonight and be able to play some games on it - with the keyboard!

The cabinet cost me nothing, if people can't sell these things or they are broken they end up being dumped, check out adtrader and the like, often i've seen them free if you arrange collection.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

To connect up your streering wheel, you can get an Opti-Pac board from Ultimarc - I got one for mine to interface a track ball - the principal is the same, they all just work like a mouse basically...

Back