Mame 1.5 Released

x68000 posted on Aug 14 2005 at 02:57 PM said:
this is a great release - much more user friendly with the new front end - thanks!!!

Thanks. I'm quite pleased with how it's come out, as it's quite quick too (once the initial game list has been loaded up). I think it's faster than some of the original fxes, especially the Classics one which took ages to open.

If you add/delete any ROMs on your card, press the "Start" + "Select" buttons and the list will be recreated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, have I been waiting with anticipation for this! Many, many thanks!

Is there any way to "look back in time" through your site.

Looking at 1.5 now for example, shows no games rated. If there was a way to look at a particular version and then get a view of how it was rated in an old version it would make it easier to find information.

i.e.
You could have a rating for Galaxians when looking at 1.5 as....

Not rated in this version, last rating was
"Version 1.4
Rated as Cool"

Then if you looked at Galaxians when looking at 1.3, you'd get

"No previous rating available"

Unfortunately it is quite time consuming to go from version to version looking for ratings. Sorry if this would be a lot of work for you, but it would make your site a lot more user friendly to me.

thegrimreaper posted on Aug 15 2005 at 12:48 PM said:

Looking at 1.5 now for example, shows no games rated. If there was a way to look at a particular version and then get a view of how it was rated in an old version it would make it easier to find information.

i.e.

"Version 1.4
Rated as Cool"

Unfortunately it is quite time consuming to go from version to version looking for ratings. Sorry if this would be a lot of work for you, but it would make your site a lot more user friendly to me.

When viewing the games list, there's a drop down box at the top right, you can select the version numbers to view there. All games rated for that version will be shown!

At present there's no way to view previous rates. But I will think on this and see what pops into my head :D

TTFN,
Clare.

Thanks Clare.

It would be great for all your lists if you could just look at the latest version and see the most recent comment.

If you need help with a SQL statement, then I might be able to help as I've played around with those in my time.

Couldn't you just have a master list of all games with problems for individual versions being included in the comments box. After all, the gameplay is always the same and it is only the version that decides whether a game is broken or has problems. Btw, excellent job on adding Mame games to the site. Now I can check your site for how well a game plays rather than having to test myself. Excellent :D.

:)

thegrimreaper posted on Aug 15 2005 at 02:23 PM said:
Thanks Clare.

It would be great for all your lists if you could just look at the latest version and see the most recent comment.

If you need help with a SQL statement, then I might be able to help as I've played around with those in my time.

What I will probably do is on the games list screen, if there's no status set, then I will leave status unset, but include something like "Last Status: Problematic - screen corruption but still playable" in the comments field. This could possibly do the trick.

Thanks for the offer with SQL, but I'm pretty much a dab hand at it myself. I have coded the whole site from scratch so far, a little more SQL is no problem :) .

GA01 posted on Aug 15 2005 at 03:22 PM said:
Couldn't you just have a master list of all games with problems for individual versions being included in the comments box. After all, the gameplay is always the same and it is only the version that decides whether a game is broken or has problems. Btw, excellent job on adding Mame games to the site. Now I can check your site for how well a game plays rather than having to test myself. Excellent :D.

:)

It's pretty much that already, The way the database works is as follows:

Table for all Emulators/Systems
Table for all the versions of above Emulators/Systems
Table for all Games
Table for all Game Status's
Table for all Game Comments

So all the Games for say "DrMD" is just one single list, regardless of the Emulator version. So to set a games status, you add or edit an entry in the status table with a pointer to the game, a pointer to the Emulator and a pointer to the Emulator Version

As you can see, game comments are seperate too. So when someone comments or Rates a game, this isn't effected by Emu status. I thought a games rating is down to gameplay, and shouldn't interfere if it plays slow on an individual Emu version.

Anyone is quite welcomed to comment or rate any game without logging into the site. If you think a game has too many stars, then add your own comment and select less stars, this will lower a games average star rateing.

Nice release. :D I was using that other frontend that someone made but it was confusing trying to remember which game came under which company icon. Now I can browse the list of games much more easily. *Big thumbs up*

thegrimreaper posted on Aug 15 2005 at 12:48 PM said:

i.e.

"Version 1.4
Rated as Cool"

Hello again,

Okay I have implimented something which might be of help. When looking at the games list. If a games status hasn't been set for an Emu version, it looks up the last Emu version and tells you what it was set to in the comments box. However, the games main status for the present version will still need to be tested and set.

Hope this is of help :) .

TTFN,
Clare.

Just had a quick look at the site and I think that looks really good. Thanks for making the change.

One thing, is it possible to get the rating to be shown the same on all versions? Didn't you say that the rating is for the quality of the game in general and the status is for how it works in a particular version? If so, then the rating should be the shown the same on all versions.

I hope I've understood you correctly.

thegrimreaper posted on Aug 15 2005 at 08:50 PM said:
Just had a quick look at the site and I think that looks really good. Thanks for making the change.

One thing, is it possible to get the rating to be shown the same on all versions? Didn't you say that the rating is for the quality of the game in general and the status is for how it works in a particular version? If so, then the rating should be the shown the same on all versions.

Have you just fixed this, or was it me being stupid and not looking at the site properly.

I have my suspicions that it's the latter :unsure:

thegrimreaper posted on Aug 15 2005 at 09:10 PM said:
thegrimreaper posted on Aug 15 2005 at 08:50 PM said:

Have you just fixed this, or was it me being stupid and not looking at the site properly.

I have my suspicions that it's the latter :unsure:

The rateing always has gotten shown the same on all emu versions :). THe overall rate (stars) of a game is the average rateing, which has nothing really to do with versions. Regardless of what version of an Emu the game is run on, it's still the same game :)

Back