making use of the touchpad on a bluetooth keyboard?

Galaxis

So I have this bluetooth keyboard with touchpad that I bought to use with a tablet. Why not connect it to the Pandora?

Surprisingly, this mostly works - using slaeshjag's kblayout pnd, I can switch to a standard german keyboard layout (will need some minor adjustments to be perfect, and I have already collected the relevant keycodes).

The touchpad on the keyboard does not seem to be recognized though. (Neither does it work on a PC linux, but at least I see there' a new input device created there - just can't figure out how to enable it.)

The keyboard is reported by the kernel as:

input: Bluetooth Keyboard as /devices/platform/omap_uart.0/tty/ttyO0/hci0/hci0:1/input8
generic-bluetooth 0005:04E8:7021.0001: input,hidraw0: BLUETOOTH HID v1.1b Keyboard [Bluetooth Keyboard] on 00:23:D4:E4:14:4A
...and after installing the xinput package with opkg on the Pandora, it tells me:

$ xinput list
Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
   Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
   nub1                                        id=6    [slave  pointer  (2)]
   nub0                                        id=7    [slave  pointer  (2)]
   touchscreen                                 id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
   Bluetooth Keyboard                          id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]

Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    gpio-keys                                   id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    keypad                                      id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    power-button                                id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]

$ xinput list 12
Bluetooth Keyboard                          id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    Reporting 4 classes:
        Class originated from: 12
        Buttons supported: 13
        Button labels: Button Left Button Middle Button Right Button Wheel Up Button Wheel Down Button Horiz Wheel Left Button Horiz Wheel Right Button Side Button Extra Button Unknown Button Unknown Button Unknown Button Unknown
        Button state:
        Keycodes supported: 248
        Detail for Valuator 0:
          Label: Abs X
          Range: -1.000000 - -1.000000
          Resolution: 1 units/m
          Mode: relative
        Detail for Valuator 1:
          Label: Abs Y
          Range: -1.000000 - -1.000000
          Resolution: 1 units/m
          Mode: relative

Now I'm looking for ideas on how to access the touchpad as pointer device...

Last edited by a moderator:
In your XFCE settings (assuming you're running SuperZaxxon) you may have a 'Mouse and touchpad' configuration app.  In that you might be able to select the keyboard pointer and enable it.

If it's already enabled, then I'm not sure what other steps are involved between xinput and xfce's pointer management I'm afraid.

Hrm. Doesn't show up as a device in the XFCE mouse settings, despite being listed by xinput...

Ah well... As it turns out, the touchpad might be defective. Doesn't work under Windows either, even though the device is being detected.

Odd, as it does seem to be showing up in xinput as a mouse (named 'Bluetooth keyboard').  There's no guarantee it's picking up movement and button events from that, so it might still be broken, but it should be configurable as a pointing device somehow.

Have you checked the manual for the keyboard? (assuming it has one) Perhaps it has some built in way to lock/unlock the touchpad, and you just need to activate it?

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked the manual for the keyboard? (assuming it has one) Perhaps it has some built in way to lock/unlock the touchpad, and you just need to activate it?
Yeah, it has a FN key combination that can supposedly be used to enable and disable the touchpad - but when I press that, the actual key is sent to the computer instead of triggering the function (FN as such works with other key combinations). I've contacted the support of the keyboard company, but it's a public holiday today, so won't hear anything back until tomorrow at the earliest...

Back