Major Question(for Me Anyways) Any Multiplayer?

RoboJoe32

I havn't seen any mention of it at all, and it would be a rather nice selling point for me (I'll still get one but my friends are also interested in the device, and the idea of being able to link GPHs and play multiplayer capable emus intrigues me.)

Can anyone find out if the GPx2 is multi-linkable in any way?

There's a possibility it'll be linkable via the serial port, if it's exposed, and the possibility of wifi compatibile via sdio, but certainly no guarantees - gph didn't seem to include anything by default, so it's completely upto the devs.

It would be nice.... somehow to get an sdio wifi card to work with the gp2x and then a web browser.... again so i can wave it in the face of psp owners.

For me, seeing as this will be a 'community' device, WiFi is a must!

I just wanna play with you guys!!!

Well I suppose if you want it the option is there, better than adding $60 to the purchase price of the 2X ;)

-Craig

www.gp2x.co.uk

aye, im just hoping we can actually put the cards to use as there is no browser.... only time will tell

When GPH said they wouldn't be offering a web browser, my guess is that they were talking about the OS they'll be releasing the GP2X with. It doesn't mean that one couldn't be added as a third party program or maybe as part of a replacement/alternative OS.

There's LOADS of software available for linux, but that has nothing to do with the feature list GPH need from the GP2X OS. It seems that they've decided not to support web browsing - that cuts out a whole load of stuff they'll have to get working in their OS, making the development a lot easier. The hardware will still be capable of it later on (That's based on the assumption that the hardware for SDIO will all be wired up from release - I don't know enough about the internals of SDIO, but am hoping).

But yeah - let's wait and see!

those sdio cards get cheaper i think, and i would buy one, we are just missing a linux driver for it.

In the gpx2 suggestions someone asked about wifi and the reply was:

The Sdio Port won't get locked. This means that you'll be able to use a wifi SD card on the gpx2. This won't be supported at launch, but the commnunity will be able to make it work with linux and adapted drivers. Who knows? maybe it will be officially supported in a future firmware update. Multiplayer games will be doable then, even Internet multiplayer matches could be done...and if you know that the gp32 have an unoficial keyboard, imagine what the future may reserve to the gp2x.

In the gpx2 suggestions someone asked about wifi and the reply was:

The Sdio Port won't get locked. This means that you'll be able to use a wifi SD card on the gpx2. This won't be supported at launch, but the commnunity will be able to make it work with linux and adapted drivers. Who knows? maybe it will be officially supported in a future firmware update. Multiplayer games will be doable then, even Internet multiplayer matches could be done...and if you know that the gp32 have an unoficial keyboard, imagine what the future may reserve to the gp2x.

yup, that's soemthing to look forward to!
would websurfing be ok on the little 320x240 screen?

Yes, we believe you, no need to repeat it. :)

I wonder, though, are reqular SD cards usable while wifi card is in place? As in, does the wifi card have a slot for the regular SD?

No they don't - the card would mean no other card could be plugged in. However, some of the SDIO wifi cards also have memory on them. They're not cheap though. But then the GP2X's 64MB of onboard flash memory would still be available.

Back