Main Mac Os X Problems Solved

carlgeorge

Website
Visit site
Under Mac OS X there are two major problems when using the GP2X.

1 – Getting the GP2X to mount on a desktop
2 – Formatting the card in FAT32 to update the firmware

Solutions:

1) Use a USB1 port (USB2 won’t work) on my iMac G5 I have to use the ports on the keyboard, the ones on the back are USB2 and won’t mount the disk.

2) This one is harder because Disk Utility formats in FAT16. By using the terminal it is relatively straightforward to get format the card in FAT32

a ) With the disk NOT mounted open terminal and type: ls /dev/rdisk?

scrn13bw.png

b ) with the disk mounted on the desktop again type: ls /dev/rdisk?

scrn27ev.png

c ) now you know the name of the drive you want to format, in this case /dev/rdisk2

d ) check the partitions by typing: ls /dev/rdisk2*

scrn38kg.png

e ) in this case I only have 1 partition, so now open Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities/) highlight the disk and select File > Unmount Volume

scrn48pz.png

f ) Back in the terminal type: newfs_msdos -v FAT32 -F 32 /dev/rdisk2s1
You can change the bit that says FAT32 to say whatever you want. This command will take a few seconds but you should see this:

scrn54lb.png

g ) Go back to Disk Utility and mount the disk that you unmounted earlier.

scrn65af.png

h ) The disk should mount on your desktop, and if you check the Get Info it is now formatted in FAT32.

scrn74oq.png

The GP2X can now have the firmware updated, after doing the above, I tried updating the firmware and it worked the first time.

NOTE! You can seriously damage your system using the Terminal so ensure that you understand what is happening before following the example above. I take no responsibility for you wiping your harddrive if you mess up.

I have the same mac as you ;) love it, but dont know crap all about the terminal, so im gana try formatting using a Digi cam :)

I tried that first. The standard for memory cards is FAT16. Check with Get Info. FAT16 will not update your firmware.

BTW I agree the iMac is great, my dad now has my old 3GHz Dell, and the headache of viruses and spyware.

carlgeorge posted on Dec 9 2005 at 06:00 PM said:
I tried that first.  The standard for memory cards is FAT16.  Check with Get Info.  FAT16 will not update your firmware.

BTW I agree the iMac is great, my dad now has my old 3GHz Dell, and the headache of viruses and spyware.
I love mac, grown up with every imac :) love the way its so compact. When i got my gp32 i had an old Digi cam that used smcs, that formatted to fat32, ill try sd on another card rite now..
Edit: no viruses rules :p
Edit: yeh :( it was fat 16 :( darn, is there any other way then possibly killing my mac?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way in which using the OS X terminal is "dangerous" in this case is that the commands for formatting the SD card can also be used to format, say, the main hard drive in your machine.

That's why it's important to notice which removable disk (rdisk) device is the one for your GP2X, since formatting any random rdisk device attached to your system could mean formatting anything you've got plugged in (e.g. cameras, cards in a card reader, etc.).

The only way to mess up your hard drive in this case would be to start running newfs_msdos on devices with names like /dev/hd* or /dev/sd*, which are the hard drives inside your machine. So... don't do that. :D

If you follow the instructions above, there is nothing dangerous about formatting your SD card this way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the dangerous element in using the terminal is YOU, the user. Just doublecheck what you're doing, follow directions closely, and maybe even read up on the commands you're using to make sure you understand they do. Things should work fine.

Thanks calqlater. As you noted, I reason I wrote the instructions with the ls /dev/rdisk? command before and after attaching the SD card is to highlight the correct drive. You are indeed right in saying that the instructions are safe to follow, but I do not want to be responsible for lost data.

Matt, follow the instructions and any questions just ask, I'll update the instructions in the first post if you find anything vague / misleading. If you are not sure of anything then ask.

EDIT: Chances are the instructions given will be word for word for you too.

I read on a mac os forum that you just have to format as MS-DOS Right Here i tryeed it and it came up with this:
Disk Identifier : disk1s1
Mount Point : /Volumes/GP2X
File System : MS-DOS File System (FAT16)
Connection Bus : USB
Partition Type : DOS_FAT_32
Is this right? the site says it is, but am just making sure :)

Sorry I didn't check yesterday.

I'm pretty sure the card is still FAT16 (what does Get Info state?).

Disk Utility can format in FAT32, but not a memory card. I have formatted an external harddrive in FAT32 using it, and that is what the link is refering too.

If you are scared of the instructions above find a friend with a Windows machine and use that.

AAH MAN! thanks! i just tried it and it worked! wow, thanks alot!

This should be posted in the mac section, worked a treat!

The first time i did it i messed up at the second last stage where you have to type "newfs_msdos -v FAT32 -F 32 /dev/rdisk1s1" i must of tyed one bit slightly wrong, and thus had to repair my disk :p

I then i copy and pasted your version replacing the "/dev/rdisk2s1" with my "/dev/rdisks1" now it works great, cheers for this man, and sorry for being too stupid to try it!

Glad to hear that it worked for you.

I didn't know that there was a mac section, I will copy and paste it when I find it.

EDIT: Have you sucessfully updated your firmware now too?

sorry, i didnt mean that you have posted it in the wrong place, i just think that it should be Pinned (thts the word ;p) so that other mac users can be guided too :) thanks for this guide, i havent got my gp2x yet :( xmas present, but just needed to make sure that i could format my cards before xmas day :)

Do I have a problem?

I used the above guidance and formatted the SanDisk 256MB SD with an $8.00 idotConnect SD card reader on my PowerBook.

Upon completion, Get Info from Finder shows: "Format: Macintosh PC Exchange (MS-DOS)"; Info from Disk Utility shows: "File System: MS-DOS File System" and "IO Content: DOS_FAT_16". So, based on that I think it failed.

However, the Terminal shows:
/dev/rdisk2s1: 486347 sectors in 486347 FAT32 clusters (512 bytes/cluster)
bps=512 spc=1 res=32 nft=2 mid=0xf0 spt=32 hds=32 hid=0 bsec=493979 bspf=3800 rdcl=2 infs=1 bkbs=6

My question is: Is the SD card FAT16 or FAT32? Will I be able to upgrade firmware when my GP2X arrives?

Regards

(Edit for punctuation)

no, thats still fat 16, i made that mistake.
Edit: read it all, and to be honest im not 100% but it seems to be 16 still

Hey thanks so much, when I get my gp2x fixed this will be much of help (yeah I don't think it liked my fat_16 card, {its dead}).

I too have an iMac G5 and love it so much. I have the 17in 2.0ghz, man does it rock.

EDIT: The reason why disk utility formats in fat16 is because it is smart. FAT16 is meant for all things under 1GB, but if you had a 2GB card it would formate as FAT32 (I sure hope so because it would not be readable other wise).

I jsut got a SD card, and it doesnt how up on my desktop and when i try to erase on disk ai it says it cant. please help :( All other cards show up fine

Do i have to create a new disk image?

It just comes up with the "Generic USB storage: icon, not the white disk icon, what shall i do?

sdd17mo.png

Whereas, with my old 64mb MMC from one of my nokias, it comes up with this.
mmc11mc.png

Please help, i need this formatted in time for xmas :(
How do i get the white mount thingy on my new card?

Matt, sorry for the delay. I am not at home with my Mac so I can't confirm for a couple of days, but it looks like the first disk (244MB) is simply not mounted.
I'll confirm on Boxing Day PM, but try highlighting the disk and then go to File>Mount Image. If that doesn't work then highligt the disk and Erase to create the partition.

It seems that there is nothing to mount, it is simply just the disk, i have tryed formatting it in a phone and it still doent work, does this mean that i have a faulty disk?

Back