Low Performance Compiling Statically

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
I don't know why, but MAME is terribly slow compiling statically, i have to compile it dynamically (without the -static link flag).
Compiling it dynamically is about 3x faster...

Is it only me?

Is the problem in the devkits? It occurs in both devkitgp2x and the linux toolchain.

Also it is also strange that compiling dynamically, the devkitgp2x executable is 2x faster than the one created with the linux toolchain.

Really strange.

Compiling it dynamically is about 3x faster...

Is it only me?

Is the problem in the devkits? It occurs in both devkitgp2x and the linux toolchain.

Also it is also strange that compiling dynamically, the devkitgp2x executable is 2x faster than the one created with the linux toolchain.

Really strange.
I tried to use open2x to compile but it just wouldnt happen. Its is odd you get that much variance in speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be because when you're compiling with -static you're getting soft-fp based libs, or something. Use objdump to check the onboard contents of your binary file and see what the differences are between the static executable and the dynamic one ..

torpor posted on May 27 2009 at 08:37 AM said:
Could be because when you're compiling with -static you're getting soft-fp based libs, or something. Use objdump to check the onboard contents of your binary file and see what the differences are between the static executable and the dynamic one ..
Which is what he would want, since Wiz doesn't have an FPU.

I wouldn't expect MAME to be using a lot of floating point in the things typically emulated on Wiz.

Exophase posted on May 27 2009 at 07:17 PM said:
torpor posted on May 27 2009 at 08:37 AM said:
Which is what he would want, since Wiz doesn't have an FPU.

I wouldn't expect MAME to be using a lot of floating point in the things typically emulated on Wiz.
I use devkitgp2x (the same toolchain i use for the gp2x). The libraries are compiled with soft float. And dynamically the executable runs 2x faster than statically. It is something really strange.

Back