Looking for an article on audio

T.T.

Master of Lightning
I've been looking for this article for a while, and have yet to find it.

I vaguely remember it being somewhere on these boards, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

I remember it being a couple pages long, the website had a light blue background, and the person who wrote it went into great details about certain audio subjects.

The two things I remember most about it were:

He had a rant on multitrack recording for music (I think that's was what it was called).

He described a setup he used to record a piano, it involved using multiple microphones at different distances in order to pick up the different frequencies of the piano better.

If it was indeed on these boards, does anybody remember it?

If not, is there anybody who knows where this article is?

Sorry, I do not remember that thread.

To record a grand piano, I hung two mikes over the soundboard, one to the left for low notes, the other to the right for high notes - gives some stereo depth to the recording. Then I added a couple of room mikes, mixed at about 1/4-1/3 volume, to capture the room ambience.

YES! That's it! Thank you muchly :)
Very interesting read, that Ampzilla 2000 site.

I'll add a note that James Bongiorno is the author of the article. He designed the Ampzilla amplifier which were often sold with the unbelievably good VMPS speakers, designed by the late Brian Cheney. Brian and James were good friends.

While I dont have an Ampzilla, I do have a pair of Brian Cheney's VMPS RM2s and can honestly say they are the best speakers I have ever heard. I drive them with a Yamaha P2500S power amplifier (pro gear) and of course the Pandora as audio source. The sound is .. exquisite.

Someone in Chicago is currently selling a pair of RM2s for $1200, which is a steal for speakers of this caliber. I can find his contact info if anyone in the Chicago area is interested in giving them a test listen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back