Looking for a Website designer

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As things are starting, I need a properly done website.

I could setup a quick Joomla site, but I don't really have that much time right now... and I'd rather have a properly created website done by a professional designer instead of something I'd hack up myself.

The site should be simple and good looking, work on almost all browsers but be attractive (good design is important).

The website will start with the FOSDEM - but it's enough to have a very simple website at first.

What I want to have working when the Website will be first made public:

• A basic layout with a few tabbed information pages I can edit myself (I'm fine editing HTML), so I can create static pages for information about the specs, the team, the idea behind it, etc.
  • A development blog - which is basically just a static page that pulls in information from the boards. With IPB I can almost include anything from the boards and include it into external pages, using own customized CSS. I made a very very simple (and ugly ;) ) test pulling in the latest topics from the Official Pandora News: http://pyra-handheld.com/test.html (simply check the source to see how easy that is).
  • A way to subscribe to a newsletter.

That's all there is for a simple page.

A full page should offer something more:

• Great design and well organized. If some in the community here want to form a team to work on design / organization, I can create internal forums for them. I don't want to make it fully public, as that would just lead to a mess ;)
  • The website should give information about the device, making use of videos and pictures / renders (I can create them) and also giving directions of where to buy, where to find more information, etc. It would be great to have other stuff like forums, wiki, etc. included in one page with a proper menu, maybe even with the same logins
  • It should be easy for members to supply links with different categories (press information, press reviews, community reviews, videos, etc.) which will be shown nicely arranged on a page after an administrator reviews the link.
  • An easy-to-handle link list of the official shops (Logo, Area and Link) needs to be included

The latter one will be a lot of work, but we'll also have a lot of time to do that one.

I'm perfectly fine paying a professional web designer for that if need be - and I rather have one from the community for that.

Maybe there's someone here?

I'm not looking for someone who just does a one-time setup of the site, but continuosly enhances the site as we get more ideas, so I would be a long-term customer.

Someone here who can do the job and has some examples from him?

I could do it -- I recently designed the website for my baby daughter (http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~jon.sneyers/lolasneyers/) so my HTML and CSS is reasonably up to date.

Only problem: next week I'm going on a holiday for 3 weeks, so I will not be very available in the next few weeks.
I'm not sure what is happening on that page, but babies are flying everywhere!.. Well anyway very nicely done. I have a bit of HTML and CSS skills, just no skills in making my designs look good.

Wow, that really looks good (well, apparently, it's not a good design for the Pyra, but you know what I mean :D )

I'd be happy if you could do it.

No time within the next weeks shouldn't be a big deal. The simple placeholder website is something I could do myself.

I would be interested in helping if you did form a team to work on it. I believe my HTML, CSS, JS, and PHP skills are up to date, as well. (and I have had experience working w/ IPB code, but it was a long time ago on IPB 2.x)

-God Ginrai

As things are starting, I need a properly done website.

I could setup a quick Joomla site, but I don't really have that much time right now... and I'd rather have a properly created website done by a professional designer instead of something I'd hack up myself.

The site should be simple and good looking, work on almost all browsers but be attractive (good design is important).

The website will start with the FOSDEM - but it's enough to have a very simple website at first.

What I want to have working when the Website will be first made public:

• A basic layout with a few tabbed information pages I can edit myself (I'm fine editing HTML), so I can create static pages for information about the specs, the team, the idea behind it, etc.
  • A development blog - which is basically just a static page that pulls in information from the boards. With IPB I can almost include anything from the boards and include it into external pages, using own customized CSS. I made a very very simple (and ugly ;) ) test pulling in the latest topics from the Official Pandora News: http://pyra-handheld.com/test.html (simply check the source to see how easy that is).
  • A way to subscribe to a newsletter.

That's all there is for a simple page.

A full page should offer something more:

• Great design and well organized. If some in the community here want to form a team to work on design / organization, I can create internal forums for them. I don't want to make it fully public, as that would just lead to a mess ;)
  • The website should give information about the device, making use of videos and pictures / renders (I can create them) and also giving directions of where to buy, where to find more information, etc. It would be great to have other stuff like forums, wiki, etc. included in one page with a proper menu, maybe even with the same logins
  • It should be easy for members to supply links with different categories (press information, press reviews, community reviews, videos, etc.) which will be shown nicely arranged on a page after an administrator reviews the link.
  • An easy-to-handle link list of the official shops (Logo, Area and Link) needs to be included

The latter one will be a lot of work, but we'll also have a lot of time to do that one.

I'm perfectly fine paying a professional web designer for that if need be - and I rather have one from the community for that.

Maybe there's someone here?

I'm not looking for someone who just does a one-time setup of the site, but continuosly enhances the site as we get more ideas, so I would be a long-term customer.

Someone here who can do the job and has some examples from him?

I like when a plan comes together!  Go ED!!!  Good to see Pyra is getting closer and closer within our reach (Two MonthsTM) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be interested in helping if you did form a team to work on it. I believe my HTML, CSS, JS, and PHP skills are up to date, as well. (and I have had experience working w/ IPB code, but it was a long time ago on IPB 2.x)

-God Ginrai

I'm perfectly fine with a team working on it.

I'm pretty sure there's enough things to do to let different people work on different features :D

I can help too if needed as part of a team? Is it just going to be static or should there be some server side code going on?

I can help too if needed as part of a team? Is it just going to be static or should there be some server side code going on?
The first one is static, but having a dynamic one later (showing the latest releases with screenshots, latest posts on the boards), nicely animated like _wb_s site would be awesome.

Thanks a lot, seems like a good start so far - so many members I've known for a long time now :)

That's awesome, as it's hard to explain to someone who has no clue what the Pandora / Pyra is all about :D

Pretty good start, thanks :)

I'd not use a logo at the beginning until it's decided, so just plain text.

For the dev blog:

IPB is pretty much flexible there.

I can create a block which only shows the latest post and another block with just the headlines of the previous news which we can put at the side.

I actually like the Red. The Pandora was Blue, so why not use Red for the Pyra? :)

Pretty good start, thanks :)

I'd not use a logo at the beginning until it's decided, so just plain text.

For the dev blog:

IPB is pretty much flexible there.

I can create a block which only shows the latest post and another block with just the headlines of the previous news which we can put at the side.

I actually like the Red. The Pandora was Blue, so why not use Red for the Pyra? :)
Red makes a lot of sense as a color theme for a Pyra website because the name Pyrrha means "red-haired".

I put Binky's logo suggestion there as a stub, to be replaced with the real logo once it is decided. Same with the rendered model -- that one is one of mrbazil2k's designs, but of course it's not how the Pyra will actually look.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ ED : Do you have an example of an existing site that offers a similar style / functionality that you'd like to see for the Pyra site.

What is the purpose of the Pyra site? Is it to generate sales? provide support / information to existing customers? entertain? educate? give a point of focus to the community? A mixture of all of these? Something else? etc. There is no right or wrong answer to this but it really helps to have a clear focus of the intended purpose of a website before design begins.

@ ED : Do you have an example of an existing site that offers a similar style / functionality that you'd like to see for the Pyra site.

What is the purpose of the Pyra site? Is it to generate sales? provide support / information to existing customers? entertain? educate? give a point of focus to the community? A mixture of all of these? Something else? etc. There is no right or wrong answer to this but it really helps to have a clear focus of the intended purpose of a website before design begins.
That's something that the team should discuss as well, it's on easy task.

Basically, I'd like to have a website that introduces the Pyra to newcomers.

It probably needs to be split somehow - one side shows the gaming aspects, the other side the laptop aspects (can be done with colors somehow, I guess).

An interested person should go there and know after a few seconds what this thing is.

He should then have the possibiltiy to find detailed information about the various aspects (gaming, laptop, etc.), so he can choose what he's interested in and see what the Pyra can do here.

However, support and the community also is a huge part here, so it shouldn't be left out.

Any customer should see right away that there's a huge community behind it where he can get all the support he needs.

He should also find information where to go when he got problems, etc.

I have some ideas for the Gaming side, I'll post them later today after I get off work. (Thinking about making a mockup)

-God Ginrai

I have some ideas for the Gaming side, I'll post them later today after I get off work. (Thinking about making a mockup)

-God Ginrai
Please wait, I'll create a forum for that, otherwise it'll all be hidden in one thread!

Back