Linux Game Publishing Is Hiring

icurafu

The Hallucinogenic Elf
Website
gamesreborn.blogspot.com
Developers
Description: We are looking for experienced software developers.
The following skills are essential:
  • Strong C/C++
Also, one or more of the following skills are essential:
  • OpenGL, with some knowledge of DirectX
  • OpenAL, with some knowledge of Windows sound systems
  • SDL, with some knowledge of Windows programming
Any applicant must be able to supply references, either commercial experience developing on Linux, or significant involvement in a well known open source project. References for character and reliability are required.
Hours: This is a part time position, with applicants expected to work for a minimum of 10 hours per week.
Salary: This is a commission based position. Developers will receive a generous percentage of the sales revenue based on performance and share of the work done on a project once the game is released, for the lifetime of the sales of the game.

To apply please email jobs@linuxgamepublishing.com

http://linuxgamepublishing.com/jobs.php

I thought that some people here might be interested in this considering the experiance with OpenGL, OpenAL and SDL.

It's all commissioned based, so maybe this would be a good oppurtunity to port games to all kind of devices with a fat comission on top of that.

icurafu said:
Hours: This is a part time position, with applicants expected to work for a minimum of 10 hours per week.
Salary: This is a commission based position. Developers will receive a generous percentage of the sales revenue based on performance and share of the work done on a project once the game is released, for the lifetime of the sales of the game.
To apply please email jobs@linuxgamepublishing.com
In other words, you do ten hours work from home every week for six months, they say it's rubbish, use it and give you a pittance. Or you do a good job, they don't use it, they don't pay you a bean. Or you do a *fantastic* job, they use it all, but because it only took X amount of hours for you to do, you get 0.00001% of earnings. And looking at their catalogue is hardly inspiring - £25-ish for quite ordinary games that I'd expect to see in a bargain bin - let alone a Linux version of those same games. Linux fan that I am, *nobody* really pays for Linux games (I bought Pontifex2 and Gish because they were cross-platform - it cost me about £20 and that's my only Linux-compatible games purchase).

When you take into account their resellers (hefty discount off that £25), overheads (quite low?), low sales (Linux, budget games at premium prices), probably tiny commission (the sales position on the same page gets over 25% commission on all sales! What does that leave for LGP or the poor programmer?), that the majority of work (art, sound, gameplay, debugging, etc.) has been done on the Windows version and you're "just" porting it to Linux (I assume, given the way it seems to work), that it's part-time, that it's on commission and that they probably pay you lower than a market-average in the first place (working from home, commission-based, etc.), you're going to end up with next-to-nothing for an awful lot of work and knowledge on your part.

Now, if they gave a hint at how much you would expect to earn in an average year, then there might be more interest. I doubt it's worth the effort - if you can qualify for that job, you can get a much better job part-time just about anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess if you went for an interview, that is one of the questions you woud ask. Right now you are just guessing.

I kinda like a lot of the games; as a retro gamer ofcourse. I think they are mostly selling games where the distributor is happy to release the source to a third party to make a small ammount of cash. Probably to pay for the christmas party. :p

Back