LiFePO4 batteries for Pandora 2?

Prometheus

This thread was inspired by this post by Darkknight512, in a thread where a battery issue was discussed, wherein the safety of LiPo cells as compared to LiFePO4 ones came up.

Apparently they have a slightly lower voltage and capacity, but are safer than LiPo cells, whilst being available in the same forms, and being able to handle more charge/discharge cycles.

I was just wondering if there was any chance of this type of battery being used in the Pandora 2? Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Any other things to be aware of?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, they will work no problem as long as the system is built to work with 3.3 volts instead of 3.7 volts.

I think currently LiFePO4 batteries are still a little rare, but they are becoming more common.

The company that makes the current Pandora batteries probably also make LiFePO4 batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the P1 be tweaked to take LiFePO4 batteries?
Not to my knowledge. The twl and the bq gauge chip are both looking for LiPo batteries with nominal voltages of 3.7 and max of 4.2. The BQ could be reconfigured (a difficult task after it has been installed, but not impossible) but the twl is pretty much designed just for LiPo batteries, they'd have to find something else.

Back