Libs For Better Mp3 Playback / Usage Than Sdl_mixer?

Quiest

I like turtles!
Anyone know some good libs which also work on the 2X i can use for mp3 playback?

cool features would be:
-know when a song is done playing
-get rest playtime from a song
-being able to fast forward/backward
-getting id3 tags

though these aren't all necessary. is there something i can use?
I'm currently working on a touchscreen mp3 player i can use in my car.

Greetings.

Oh okay, this kinda confuses me... is there a special version for the 2X?
Any hints on usage, as there is no .lib coming with this... arent there any precompiled ones?
Or am I getting the whole idea behind this wrong?

Use SDL_mixer, it should do the job for MP3s. SDL_mixer also links to libmad for MP3 playback but libmad is GPL'ed so if you ever release this, the source code must be under GPL as well.

sorry, i wasn;t much help. The source for libmad is available which would need to be compiled for the target platform (gp2x) not sure exactly how to do this now, you would need to run configure passing gp2x as a flag...

...but...

it seems there are precompiled versions for the gp2x, including libid3tag (to read id3 tags i guess!) look here: http://wiki.gp2x.org/index.php?title=Preco...amp;redirect=no

also, it seems there is a version of sdl_mixer using libmad:

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,19,1648

Again, i'm not sure if it has the features you are looking for (except libid3tag, which should read tags), but, you can access the api at a low level ( see http://www.bsd-dk.dk/%7Eelrond/audio/madlld/ for help) which should make it possible to manually code most of the features you need.

In any case, AFAIK, libmad is much more efficient than sdl for playing mp3s.

Sorry i can't be more help!

All the Open2x lib packs include libid3tag and libmad, but as yaustar says, I can't enable libmad in SDL_mixer because then anything using SDL_mixer would need to be GPL-ed (see the quote my signature ;)).

Orkie said:
All the Open2x lib packs include libid3tag and libmad, but as yaustar says, I can't enable libmad in SDL_mixer because then anything using SDL_mixer would need to be GPL-ed (see the quote my signature ;)).
Speaking of which, I can't get any OGG music playback from the Open2x SDL_mixer for DevKitGP2X. It seems the same issue occurs in Yaustar's Codeblocks package, is there a workaround for this? Sound effects work fine, only streamed music is a problem. I tried some older libs, but then the OGGs play twice as fast, so that's a no-go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i'm having weird problems with it. Sometimes a mp3 is played, sometimes it is not.
Nothing to do with bitrates, and it also should have nothing to do with my code... otherwise I would be really overseeing something strange.

Alex. said:
Speaking of which, I can't get any OGG music playback from the Open2x SDL_mixer for DevKitGP2X. It seems the same issue occurs in Yaustar's Codeblocks package, is there a workaround for this? Sound effects work fine, only streamed music is a problem. I tried some older libs, but then the OGGs play twice as fast, so that's a no-go.
Do you have a file I can try which doesn't work? I've had oggs working, so I wonder if tremor is being picky (I've had problems with that before).

Last edited by a moderator:
Question, do you have a specific OGG that plays? Is there a specific set of encoding settings that I should follow to get it playing?

Back