Lets Raid Bbc

The BBC run a short tech programme every Saturday morning, called CLICK! - I'm sure they'd be more than happy to report on this. They ask for feedback and news, so give them some!

Get real, they wouldn't even care if Craig himself would send them a package of himself in various nude positions, accompanied by a couple of funny winter hats and a brandnew Pandora, that's how niche it is.
You'd have to get a lot, A LOT more units out than 4000, think iphone sell numbers, etc.

edit: well as a german living in france i certainly don't know about Click!. That sounds more reasonable. But i wouldnt expect a bbc news site...?

The fact that it's "niche" is irrelevant. In the past, this would have been considered a newsworthy thing.

A teeny tiny team and a group of volunteers created a mass-produced miniature computer on a tiny budget! This is a *genuinely interesting* event, it's a great example of entrepreneurism, and is definitely more worthy of coverage than "Oh, there's a multi-million dollar press conference today for a multi-million dollar product that will soon be released.". The determination displayed is also a far better thing for kids to aspire to than overpaid leather-kickers and druggie celebrities could ever hope to be.

I'm not even one to normally say things like this, so heed my words. :p

Why does it seem like a good idea to you guys to promote a product that cannot even be bought by the general public yet on any nationwide television program anywhere in the world at this point in time? I would've thought the best time to do that would be after the first batch bugs are ironed out and when the supply of the unit becomes more consistent. Promoting the Pandora to the general tv viewing public would be like saying "hey, check out this awesome thing. You want one, no? Well guess what, now that I have aroused your gadget lust, YOU CANT HAVE IT! MWUHAHAHAAA! Suck it."

So, maybe it was newsworthy in the past when the technology sector was still a fledgling market, but these days media exposure is just free advertising for the newest tech fashion accessories. And if it isn't used as such, it is a waste of media exposure. We are talking mainstream media here. Every time you see a news story about Steve Jobs next shiny thing, remember. It is free advertising at prime time and you couldn't buy that kind of exposure otherwise anyway, unless you actually were Steve Jobs. And even he wouldn't want to pay for it.

It probably makes some sense to NOT try to promote too much until Craigix actually has plenty to sell.

People hear about a great product, go to the web-page, find that there's a waiting list .... most of them will say "Eh, oh well."

Perhaps we could insert a Y2K like bug into the firmware that causes every Pandora to automatically creates a Twitter account and start using the hashtag #Pandora... Just a thought. I think it'd be pretty cool if we could somehow get ingame tracking via Raptr. That would accomplish a couple things. For starters, it would certainly boost our popularity. For another, it would help make open source games more mainstream when people see that their friends are playing them on these new Pandoras... Just a thought, any ideas on it?

Jourdy288 said:
Perhaps we could insert a Y2K like bug into the firmware that causes every Pandora to automatically creates a Twitter account and start using the hashtag #Pandora... Just a thought.
That would be spamming. :p Also it would very likely be signing people up against their will to a service they probably don't want to use.

I think it'd be pretty cool if we could somehow get ingame tracking via Raptr. That would accomplish a couple things. For starters, it would certainly boost our popularity.
I have to question this. My first thought when I read this was "What the hell is "Raptr"?". :p I somehow doubt I'm the only one who will have that reaction - how can something obscure like this boost popularity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sold and VRAndy are probably right, you only get one or maybe (if lucky) two articles on a big network, best to do it when there are Pandora actually available for purchase as to not waste the coverage.

VRAndy said:
It probably makes some sense to NOT try to promote too much until Craigix actually has plenty to sell.

People hear about a great product, go to the web-page, find that there's a waiting list .... most of them will say "Eh, oh well."
Yeah good point. It may be better to wait until Craig catches up with demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there was even the remote possibility that it wasnt being built by three or four guys in a garage (c'mon we've all seen the car) there might be a chance but if they cant produce 2000 in a month it's a bit hard to justify an article unless you're specifically trying to tell a news story about a small band of plucky inventors "doin' it on their own"... heck When I say it that way it sounds like they might actually be able to sell it to Adam Sandler as a script for a movie and skip the whole BBC tech story all together.

Besides the the mighty apple gods and coughed up another ipwn and that's all any media outfit will be talking about for a month and a half.

This is a tough one, most of us were sold the idea a longtime ago and have stayed interested. It's not just a fancy gadget but a device which has captured our souls. I don't envisage the mainstream to sign up in this way. They would need a product that is available now or atleast within a few weeks and have polished software. I am not putting down the fantastic efforts of the sublime Pandora team but more units/software refinement would need to be produced quicker, but the economics of it don't stack up, a big capital risk needs to be taken to make the leap from niche to the masses. This capital just is not there. I have a few months yet to wait as am rear end of batch 1 (ordered Dec'09), I just hope things remain on track. And in due course OPT get the rewards they are all due.

Craig Via Twitter :

The BBC are obsessed with Apples every move and giving them absolute maximum publicity over every other tech company. Depressing.

Not sure if this is a response to this thread but it seems relevant.

Totally agree with comments on this thread relating to waiting until the Pandora is available to order 'off the shelf' until seeking reviews / articles / comments from big media organisations.

As for the BBC I'd recommend Digital Planet on the BBC World Service as an ideal place to educate the masses about the Pandora. Well worth a listen, a program made by geeks for geeks.

I've had a very quick scan, so I expect this to have already been mentioned.

The worst thing you could do is get it on click, I actually think they would cover it, it being unique and open source etc.

But the problem comes from the bad reporting that would surely come from the fact that OPT can't even supply the first 4000.

I think once the first batch is done, or at least the bare minimum of a smooth delivery is occurring, then it's best to wait for the end of batch one.

We don't even know if OPT needs that kind of attention at the moment. But in between batch two may be useful to drum up interest for batch three onwards?

Edit: Sorry it has obviously been said :ph34r:

How about when they are ready, say bollocks to the bbc. Go to channel 5,do the gadget show? or perhaps some adverts in retrogamer magazine with an interview perhaps?

Back