Laptop power connector issues

AquaAnalogue

Hey guys-- I've been having problems with my power cord for my laptop. Recently (within the past 6 months) i've noticed a flicker in the screen. I first traced it to something to do with power; the backlight goes on/off depending on whether I'm plugged in or not. I looked closely at the connector last week and I think that's what it is.

It's one of those round connectors with the holes in the middle. On the tip there's a plastic yellow O-thing that I suppose separates the inner contact from the outer.

The issue here is that upon close inspection, I observed that the inner contact and the yellow plastic itself have corroded and burnt.

What could cause this? Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? It appears as if the laptop is drawing too much current, and is literally burning the plastic and metal as a result.

I'd post a picture but alas, I have no decent camera.

most common problem with that area is wear to connector/socket/solder joints holding the socket down, burnt would suggest a loose connection, so whenever it moves back and forth a small arc is formed, melting hte plastic ever so slightly

if it works in a certain position, and not in others that's the most likely issue, especially if you can hear a little click from it sparking if you wiggle it (gently)

Back