e-ink e-readers & other e-stuff. No i-stuff.

UrNmAGR.png
I don't think I want to know what the hell you're reading there ;)

I don't think I want to know what the hell you're reading there ;)
It's nothing bad, although out of context and the headings do make it look odd:eek:

Nw7fRRu.png
xIVVfGu.png

But I am reading 'The Conlanger's Lexipedia' by Mark Rosenfelder, he also wrote 'The Language Constriction Kit' book.
Great reads if your interested in conlanging.

Last edited:
oh nice, my wife got a remarkable and i was hoping it would go open. it's very nice to sketch out ideas.

So I just found out that the reMarkable tablet has made their kernel/uboot source public. This is the first eink tablet with a Wacom digitizer that I have seen do this. (Onyx Boox have not done this since they switched to Android)

I am very tempted by it for this reason alone! It seems like a homebrew community is developing around it fairly quickly.

Didn't they -have to- since it is Linux based?

The Kobo line is also Linux based - though stripped down and modded. I recently stumbled into the development community for it, though I haven't tried many of the modifications yet.
Code:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=247

It appears that the Linux system is fully viewable/changeable by connecting to the Kobo as a USB storage device and exploring the hidden files & folders.

This guy probably has the most advanced Kobo/eReader hack that I've seen. He got his Kobo working as a Linux terminal and as a 2nd monitor:
Code:
https://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/660-Using_my_Kobo_eBook_reader_as_an_external_eInk_monitor

I want to give Koreader a try. I have a few large PDF files - they're supposed to render better and be more usable on Koreader.

It's pretty clear, though, that there isn't anything 'in the way' for development on these. It's just finding developers who find time to hack together solutions. I'm not even sure yet what SoC is in the Kobo Arua One Limited Edition that I have. I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually.

There was a trend for these ereaders to be Android - now the trend is for them to be Linux. I see this as a somewhat good thing. What is missing are ARM Linux programs optimized for a slow to refresh black & white screen. My Kobo has a somewhat hidden web browser that actually works pretty well. (Settings - beta programs - browser). It makes access to Project Guttenberg books REAL easy.
Code:
https://www.gutenberg.org/

I keep getting happier with my eReader choice. I wanted my eReader to have direct WiFi access to tons of content and have a large enough screen to have a true hardback book line's worth of text displayed side to side and a screen that can adjust to my eyes. I think I got it.

Because of the browser and Project Gutenberg I now have many years worth of classics on my Kobo and access to 56000+ free books directly from the device without needing to side-load.

Because of having Overdrive built in, I now have direct access to the eBook contents of my municipal library system's collection directly from the device without needing to side-load.

I have yet to have actually purchased and eBook. I probably will eventually - there are several series that I like to read right when they come out rather than waiting. But, the content volume I can get for free/borrow is beyond substantial. I can get more from anywhere with a WiFi connection too.

The things I wish it had:
*Bluetooth audio for audio books & music. Not having it isn't a huge issue to me - I bought it to read. It would add versatility though.
*Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. Again - no bluetooth on the device limits the fun a bit.
*An SD card slot. Yes, I got the version with 32GB of eMMC which is plenty for use as an eReader. In this case I'm accepting an OK eMMC size and waterproofing and Overdrive and a Browser as the trade offs for not having a microSDXC. Still - would be nice to have one.
*More documentation regarding the pre-installed Linux and Kobo desktop environment. I probably just need to dig further into the above links. It would be nice to be able to pop to a Linux terminal (top screen) with an on-screen keyboard (lower screen).
*Games. Sudoku, chess, Go, Backgammon, Sokobon, Nethack - all of the classics that can be played on a B&W screen could/should be ported to and playable on these Linux e-Readers.
[doublepost=1519405506,1519404990][/doublepost]Found a reference to the SoC for the Kobo Aura One: 1Ghz Solo Lite iMx6.

It would be nice to be able to pop to a Linux terminal (top screen) with an on-screen keyboard (lower screen).
The Kobo Start Menu package (which you've probably installed already) has a program for this under tools/ (start kbterminal.sh) in the full menu.

The Kobo Start Menu package (which you've probably installed already) has a program for this under tools/ (start kbterminal.sh) in the full menu.

I haven't gotten that far yet. Frankly, so far, I've spent more time reading on my Kobo than hacking it. It's only been a couple of weeks after all.

Cool that someone has already done the work on that though! You have just told me what my next bit to mess with is. Thanks!

Didn't they -have to- since it is Linux based?
Nope. I think what you are thinking is what I had in the back of my mind when I got the PRS-700, which runs Linux. Still nothing but official firmware/OS afaik. Really sucks.

Nope. I think what you are thinking is what I had in the back of my mind when I got the PRS-700, which runs Linux. Still nothing but official firmware/OS afaik. Really sucks.

So, nothing like this then? Latest updates 3 months ago.
Code:
https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader/tree/master/hw

I found that on a first-try Google search for, "Kobo Aura One Source Code". Were you thinking something else?

I was thinking exactly the situation that exists, which is that Linux doesn't mean they will release it. My PRS-700 is one of two devices that I got partially because of Linux, only to find out it also had proprietary stuff that wasn't shared and restricted what could be done. If you find out I am wrong or working off old info, please point it out.

Eink devices have run Linux for years. There always has been a mix both Android and Linux e-readers released at any given time. There have been homebrew projects to run Ubuntu on Kobo and Onyx Linux-based readers, but those lost steam as the newer reader models either run Android or can't boot from removable media. All the devices with imx6s or better SoC and Wacom styli have run Android and not released the source: Sony and Onyx mainly, but one is coming from Boyue soon too.

I think one of the things that I like about reMarkable is the team members have helped the homebrew devs out with advice or example apps. I think the guy who ported fingerterm is a team member.

But if Kobo released a model with a stylus, I'd buy it. I have always liked their community.

reMarkable definitely got my attention, but I can't afford it right now, and I don't think it meets all my preferences. In a few years things might change, as it is currently my next best preference over what I have.

So I just found out that the reMarkable tablet has made their kernel/uboot source public. This is the first eink tablet with a Wacom digitizer that I have seen do this. (Onyx Boox have not done this since they switched to Android)

I am very tempted by it for this reason alone! It seems like a homebrew community is developing around it fairly quickly.

That tablet is really interesting !!
Is the "Cloud" obligatory to transfer things ? Or you can just use a local connection ?

EDIT:

Found the answer in the "Terms and conditions" just before pressing the pay button... the Cloud is REQUIRED, you do nothing without their service (and an internet connection). :'(

Damn... this seemed great +o(

Last edited:
I believe the community has gotten around the cloud for file transfer. reMarkable provided IP over USB functionality for transferring files and the community built off that. More of a hassle than MTP, but it gets the job done.

However perhaps the cloud is required to log into the device for first boot? If so, that is too bad.

EDIT: Also, I realize there are a lot of issues with reMarkable too. I don't think a solid comic reader has been written yet. No backlight. Weaker processor than the more recent Android based readers. It is expensive. There are definitely reasons I have not bought in yet.
[doublepost=1519489221,1519487593][/doublepost]More info on the "hacker friendly" nature of the device.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16321531

I would e-mail reMarkable and ask if log in to the device without an account is possible.

you can get files off the remarkable using USB, without going through their cloud.

https://support.remarkable.com/hc/e...Transfer-files-with-a-USB-cable-to-reMarkable

i don't like the sound of cloud, as usually it's done by the company, and the company can go belly up and then you lose access to your device. but it seems like it would be ok in this event... maybe...

People seems to be able to transfer files (and also can access the filesystem as root by default), but those files can't be categorized (you just see them all together), because the device uses templates to manage them, and seems there's nothing for now to automate this process (it is not still clear how that template works). Also files moved by hand gives issues to the cloud if someone at some point decide to use it.

Not the best situation, but better than most closed devices at least.

@Grench, you should rename this thread to something more general, if you don't mind general reader discussion.

Does anyone know of any decent diy ebook reader kits, or have any advice on how to get started with it? I am doing some searches and not really seeing much that really helps me.

Looks pretty good on paper. It is not cheap but that is justifiable if it scratches enough itches.

I wonder if this would also be usable as a drawing tablet for use with e.g. Krita when connected to a PC.
Does anyone know if that wacom screen detects pressure and tilt and if the device can be connected as an input when used as a PC monitor?

<edit>Apparently it does support pressure: Onyx MAX2 firmware update adds pressure sensitivity to the stylus</edit>

Last edited:
@Grench, you should rename this thread to something more general, if you don't mind general reader discussion.

Does anyone know of any decent diy ebook reader kits, or have any advice on how to get started with it? I am doing some searches and not really seeing much that really helps me.

Done.

e-ink will sell displays from their shop - but they're usually $100+ for the display and $400+ for the board to drive it.

Frankly, if you're looking at hobby work on it, you might be better off buying 2-3 of the same ereaders used from ebay and busting them open.

Back