Just Volt-modded My Gp32

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
Well, after a long try, I finally got the resistors soldered in solidly and without any shorts. I have a feeling I probably should have used a different resistor combination (as it was only a 10 mhz increase) but it was worth it just to be able to play Chip's Challenge at a playable speed. If anyone wants to try the volt-mod, I reccommend not using leaded resistors. Use SMT resistors if at all possible, it is a pain trying to get leaded resistors soldered in solidly without shorting anything. I'm also thinking I may star doing the volt-mods for people in the US, once I get some SMT resistors (a lot less chance of me screwing up someone's GP that way). I'm happy. :D

what speed do you get now?
is there anyway that I can OC to above 166 by using a voltage mod??
could you post pics
and one more, was it hard/what tools did you use??
thx
( im thinking of doing the mod , so Im curious )

~Octavious

A volt-mod service in the US, Great!!!! I live in Canada, this could be a way to get a possible cheap FLU sold at Lik-Sang working at 166 MHz!!!!!!!!

Octavious posted on Dec 12 2004 at 09:18 PM said:
what speed do you get now?
is there anyway that I can OC to above 166 by using a voltage mod??
could you post pics
and one more, was it hard/what tools did you use??
thx
( im thinking of doing the mod , so Im curious )

~Octavious

I get exactly 166 mhz and no more. I could get more with different resistor values if I wanted to, but I just tried these for a start. You can find instructions and pics at the same site that I got the instructions and pics from at www.cobbleware.com (I beleive that's the right address). It was a very difficult mod, but would have been a lot easier if I could have used SMT resistors (the main difficulty lay in getting the leaded resistors to solder in solidly so that they wouldn't fall over, and at the same time not short out anything). What tools did I use? A soldering iron and a little scraper thing that came with my soldering iron so that I could pry up the old resistors while I was melting the solder.

--200th post!!!!!--

Last edited by a moderator:
Jmetal - If you decide to start doing them as a service, I'd most likely be interested. But answer me this, are you able to do it in a way that does not risk getting any dust in between the LCD and the screen cover?

bast525 posted on Dec 12 2004 at 11:28 PM said:
Jmetal - If you decide to start doing them as a service, I'd most likely be interested. But answer me this, are you able to do it in a way that does not risk getting any dust in between the LCD and the screen cover?

I don't ever take the LCD out of the casing, I just take the circuit board off the back of the LCD. As long as the foam gasket sealing the LCD stays sealed, no dust will get in.

Perfect. Well, my GP should be in tommorow or tuesday at the latest, it just cleared customs at LAX on Saturday. Man I can't wait. Well I'll see how high it goes by itself... but betting I"ll want to have it modded. If you decide to start doing them definately let me know along with a price.

I tested mine (one of those new BLUs from LikSang) with Mr.Mirkos clock speed tester and it seems to run fine at 166MHz. I got bored of waiting after 3 or 4 minutes or so, so i quit, so it might not be stable....

At higher clock frequencies the app simply freezes at the start screen (with the menu to select the speed) - I heard that the GP resets, but mine doesn't. Is this normal?

There is already a cheap volt mod service in Canada... why send your gp32 across the border to the states and have to deal with customs... if you are in Canada use mashmods... they did my glass screen, my buttons and my volt mod... I hit 166, and that's just because they play it safe and only put in a mod of 1.95 v, most places will go up to 1.99 v... mashmods will too but if you ask them to do this they will ask you to waive any and all real or percieved warranty on their service...;)

pea posted on Dec 13 2004 at 07:14 AM said:
I tested mine (one of those new BLUs from LikSang) with Mr.Mirkos clock speed tester and it seems to run fine at 166MHz. I got bored of waiting after 3 or 4 minutes or so, so i quit, so it might not be stable....

At higher clock frequencies the app simply freezes at the start screen (with the menu to select the speed) - I heard that the GP resets, but mine doesn't. Is this normal?

I read from the FAQ that it should either freeze or reboot.

Since when has the wireless RF unit been black, BTW?

Hi There, soldering in leaded resistors is much easier, all you do is run wires from the pads and solder onto the resistors. I think console fix does this also. I did this on my unit, and i gave an exact 1.95 and it plays at 166 perfectly.

pea posted on Dec 13 2004 at 07:14 AM said:

Where might I get this clock speed tester... Only one I tried didn't work too well. (I mean, it froze when I tried to run it at 200 MHZ, it's not supposed to do that, right? :p ) j/k

But it had the gray bars, was really hard to use, IMHO.

For testing speed of my new BLU I used GPQuake ... v 0.4 - overclocked it to 166 and was playing with it for about 10 minutes - reached level 3. So my guess is that I have got 166MHz stable BLU. Was afraid to go higher, but will try it one day.

Neptune posted on Dec 13 2004 at 01:39 AM said:
Hi There, soldering in leaded resistors is much easier, all you do is run wires from the pads and solder onto the resistors. I think console fix does this also. I did this on my unit, and i gave an exact 1.95 and it plays at 166 perfectly.

Wish I'd thought of that...... that would have save me a lot of trouble. Ah, well. I'm thinking of trying for a higher voltage anyway, just to experiment, maybe I'll try it when I put in some new resistors.

Back