Just Got My Caanoo. Cant Play Mpeg4 + Other Foibles

juanisan

Still Fresh
I am an old time die hard GP2X fan. I got NFS ported over to the GP2X so I could (via wired usb net) watch my videos and listen to MP3s from my main PC (Slackware Linux since Win 3.1 days). Ported the good ol' unix r-commands (rsh, rcp, etc). LOVE the thing! I have the old dev board that had no case. Love the expandability of the F100.

I got this Caanoo and am a tad disappointed. I read on the wiki that it could play mpeg4 files. It says invalid format to every video I throw at it that isnt xvid. Xvid plays fine (well almost) I have had some that really dissapoint.

I am super impressed in how SOLID the thing feels compared to the GP2X F100. I wanted this to be an upgrade. They had the GP2X-F200, wiz, and this? I feel like everything has been stagnant.

I convert videos with ffmpeg and use "-vcodec mpeg4" but they dont play.

I like the microphone in this and use it with the audio recording app to record jam sessions in the park like I used to use my iriver mp3 player.

Not much else is impressing me. GREAT SOLID FEEL though.

I plug this in and mount the SD card and it crashes half the time with USB reset errors. This aspect is worse than a GP2X-F100. Even that worked. I have to take the SD card out and put it in a USB drive to get it to work reliably.

I loved my F100. I am TRYING to love this. I bought it from Play Asia and it came with ... wait booting it now... Version 1.6.0 firmware. Is there something better? My main PC runs: Linux mrlinux 2.6.37.1 #3 PREEMPT Thu Jun 9 02:22:50 EDT 2011 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Usb net doesnt work. USB mounting is flaky as hell. I cant Play mp4 videos. What am I doing wrong?

I never had a F200 so I am not used to this touch screen tech. Very nice! This is one VERY solid machine!
Why cant I play videos?

try with Mplayer for the caanoo. ;)
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,114,525

Also try ginge.. its a software layer that lets you use Gp2x and Wiz software - It makes the caanoo backward compatible, it actually
Loads up like a F100 with 4.1.0 firmware ;)

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,655

ruffnutts B)

P.S Touch screen works on it to - and I was playing payback earlier :D

I havent had any issues with usb. But werent there some defective cables around? Or maybe that was a problem with some wiz' i dont remember. Anyone else remember?

Back