Jam Vm Support?

PLummer Sud

Still Fresh
Well as I have read JAMVM will be in the repos right?
Tho I got a question will there be a plugin for the webbrowser (firefox) on the pandora, so there is any use of JAMVM?

My biggest question is tho, will I be able to play Runescape on the pandora?
It's a Java MMORPG and requires Java VM to work and since what I know JAMVM can play Runescape.

Then if it works it's great, tho the next question is if a Java application is 800x600 in resolution, is there a way to fake that resolution on the pandora screen?
Since I know on a x86 system with windows there are some tricks to use higher resolution then supported tho loosing some lines of pixles, if thats possible on the pandora it would
rock! Since the pandoras screen only is 800x480 it will be quite annoying to scroll down when using some parts of the interface in the java applet.

Please do not flame me, just be gentle and tell me what you know ;)

//PLummer Sud

PLummer Sud said:
Well as I have read JAMVM will be in the repos right?
Tho I got a question will there be a plugin for the webbrowser (firefox) on the pandora, so there is any use of JAMVM?

My biggest question is tho, will I be able to play Runescape on the pandora?
It's a Java MMORPG and requires Java VM to work and since what I know JAMVM can play Runescape.

Then if it works it's great, tho the next question is if a Java application is 800x600 in resolution, is there a way to fake that resolution on the pandora screen?
Since I know on a x86 system with windows there are some tricks to use higher resolution then supported tho loosing some lines of pixles, if thats possible on the pandora it would
rock! Since the pandoras screen only is 800x480 it will be quite annoying to scroll down when using some parts of the interface in the java applet.

Please do not flame me, just be gentle and tell me what you know ;)

//PLummer Sud

There is the possibility in theory that you might be able to scale in the future through screen resolution virtualization. Angstrom doesn't seem to have java in its repository, but you should be able to build it from the source yourself.
I have played, so I won't flame you, but I think you should be able to at least see the man game area, and the map, but the inventory might be cut off... along with the chat box.

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/
I searched for "java" nothing from SUN or a VM

Last edited by a moderator:
Darn when i searched the forums i found someone posting it was in repos :(
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51668-jam-vm-support/

I would realy want java support because I would fancy the pandora to take with me to work and play instead of a clumsy 10" netbook :(

Anyone know anything about java support on the pandora?

Edit: also would it be possibelt o use a analog stick as mouse instead of using the touchscreen?

Kloplop321 said:
Angstrom doesn't seem to have java in its repository, but you should be able to build it from the source yourself.
Yes it does. I just installed it on my BeagleBoard. "opkg install jamvm" and it's done.
I don't know how I can go about testing it though.
Gimme everything I need to test this Runescape and I'll do so for you. If it works on BeagleBoard, odds are very very good that it'll run on the Pandora with no changes required.

Gruso said:
JamVM in the repo: http://www.angstrom-.../?pkgname=jamvm

Re: mapping the mouse to an analogue nub, that's a yes. Notaz had it working at one stage, I believe it was then put on the backburner while they focused on other issues. But it will be back.

Thank you for your answer, will it be possible to use Jam VM in the firefox browser the Pandora is shipped with?
Also anyone have any stats on how well Java preforms on ARM? It's quite resource hungry and the game im speaking of
requires on a x86 system 128 MB RAM, 500 MHz CPU so in my ears this seems to steep for the pandora to handle right?
But well I dont need fullspeed only if it runs im happy :)

Edit: Is there support on the omap used for the pandora for Jazelle? Then java could fly quite nice :)

WizardStan said:
Kloplop321 said:
Angstrom doesn't seem to have java in its repository, but you should be able to build it from the source yourself.
Yes it does. I just installed it on my BeagleBoard. "opkg install jamvm" and it's done.
Gimme everything I need to test this Runescape and I'll do so for you. If it works on BeagleBoard, odds are very very good that it'll run on the Pandora with no changes required.

http://www.runescape.com/game.ws - Browser based MMORPG

WizardStan said:
Kloplop321 said:

Sorry I missed your post, but as mentioned, Runescape is a browserbased MMORPG using java VM, so would you try it on your beagleboard and post results I would be a happy man!
just visit www.runescape.com create a free account if you like or just load the login menu and pos what you get :) in the options put everything to lowest possible for preformance also set the screensize to fixed :)

Edit: Im grateful for your fast replies, I like this community where people are helpful and nice to newcommers :)
Edit again: For the resolution problem Java2d.ddscale could be the solution :) Also some modifications to Java2d.opengl could optimize RS for OpenGL ES2.x?

My sheevaplug (arm v5, 512mb ram) running Ubuntu 9.04 has openjdk on it, though without a local display it hard to tell if it would play anything. I tried to start JBoss today and got an error that, that according to google results, was fixed in newer openjdk versions. So I think it should be possible to run java, just not sure about the java OGL-ES implementation (which I assume runescape uses?).

Nod51 said:
My sheevaplug (arm v5, 512mb ram) running Ubuntu 9.04 has openjdk on it, though without a local display it hard to tell if it would play anything. I tried to start JBoss today and got an error that, that according to google results, was fixed in newer openjdk versions. So I think it should be possible to run java, just not sure about the java OGL-ES implementation (which I assume runescape uses?).

"The HD version incorporates hardware acceleration, using Java's implementation of OpenGL as part of its rendering." - According the Wikipedia at least some mode of it does. But that might not apply to low detail. Someone will just have to try it.

fischju2000 said:
Nod51 said:

"The HD version incorporates hardware acceleration, using Java's implementation of OpenGL as part of its rendering." - According the Wikipedia at least some mode of it does. But that might not apply to low detail. Someone will just have to try it.

The standard detail mode only uses CPU for all rendering :) Hows it going anyone tried it on the beagleboard yet?

Edit: Just fired up my retro machine, it's a 350MHz celeron (clocked from 300) with 64MB ram and a cirus logic crap card with 1MB memory. (using J2SE 5.0)
Well Runescape worked just fine, not perfect but playable but long load times tho :) Tho I don't know how to compare ARM with x86, I don't know if the pandora with it's ARM
cpu and 256MB ram will outpreform a x86 350MHz celeron with 64MB ram in terms of java.

Edit: 6:11am here off to bed work in 4,5 hours but ill be back to check here after work :)

JRE, to me, would seem to be heavily optimized for ARM platforms because of all the cellphones. Don't quote me on anything, I am just correlating. Also, I believe the Cortex A8 is faster than a 350 MHz Celery.

Phawx said:
JRE, to me, would seem to be heavily optimized for ARM platforms because of all the cellphones. Don't quote me on anything, I am just correlating. Also, I believe the Cortex A8 is faster than a 350 MHz Celery.

Well cellphones don't have JRE they use J2ME and you can not run any JVM on that :/
Off to bed I go ^^

Hmm, I'm going to have to play around a bit. I've got the VM installed, but there doesn't seem to be a plugin to use it, neither in Midori nor Firefox. I'm sure there's a way to do it, I just can't figure it out right now. Perhaps tomorrow.
Additional interesting fact: Midori claims to have a Flash 9.0 plugin! Youtube *almost* worked! This will also require some investigation.

Kloplop321 said:
There is the possibility in theory that you might be able to scale in the future through screen resolution virtualization. Angstrom doesn't seem to have java in its repository, but you should be able to build it from the source yourself.
I have played, so I won't flame you, but I think you should be able to at least see the man game area, and the map, but the inventory might be cut off... along with the chat box.

http://www.angstrom-...ution.org/repo/
I searched for "java" nothing from SUN or a VM

jamvm and cacao are in the repo.

Phawx said:

Not really. There's a larger gap between compilers and JITs for ARM than for x86. Cellphones VMs are usually optimized for low memory consumption. Not high CPU efficiency.

If you want high CPU efficiency, go x86 64bit Hotspot VM running in server mode. Start times for JARs are ridiculously long, and it consumes a ton of memory - but performance is also incredibly good.

WizardStan said:
Hmm, I'm going to have to play around a bit. I've got the VM installed, but there doesn't seem to be a plugin to use it, neither in Midori nor Firefox. I'm sure there's a way to do it, I just can't figure it out right now. Perhaps tomorrow.
Additional interesting fact: Midori claims to have a Flash 9.0 plugin! Youtube *almost* worked! This will also require some investigation.

As I feared, no plugins in either of the browsers, you have to lead the applet on your own without the browser :( I hope all this gets fixed some day because I want the Pandora to be a fullfledged web machine also,
since I will use it instead of a 10" netbook, but for me Java is required to work :(

What happens if you copy the plugins from your x86 firefox browser and try?

1. JamVM is good for the Pandora but there are better alternatives out there.
  2. Runescape will most probably *not* work since it depends on JOGL, and at the time of writing, JOGL lacks ARM support (you need to port a tiny native OpenGL binding lib to ARM in order to use it, and there's no official port on the Java repos). Ergo, you need to compile JOGL for ARM for it to work.
  3. Mobile phones use J2ME, but that doesn't mean that the Pandora should. No one mentioned this, but just sayin'.
  4. You can't copy over a browser plugin for x86 to ARM. Java is cross-platform, but Netscape-based plugins aren't.
  5. Jazelle would be awesome (→Java apps would run at like 80% of the speed of C apps) but alas, no cigar. It's proprietary down to the marrow. If someone was to reverse-engineer it, however...

Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't aware of the incredible amount of different JVMs.

dflemstr said:
  1. JamVM is good for the Pandora but there are better alternatives out there.
  2. Runescape will most probably *not* work since it depends on JOGL, and at the time of writing, JOGL lacks ARM support (you need to port a tiny native OpenGL binding lib to ARM in order to use it, and there's no official port on the Java repos). Ergo, you need to compile JOGL for ARM for it to work.
  3. Mobile phones use J2ME, but that doesn't mean that the Pandora should. No one mentioned this, but just sayin'.
  4. You can't copy over a browser plugin for x86 to ARM. Java is cross-platform, but Netscape-based plugins aren't.
  5. Jazelle would be awesome (→Java apps would run at like 80% of the speed of C apps) but alas, no cigar. It's proprietary down to the marrow. If someone was to reverse-engineer it, however...

But as I have understood it dosent use JOGL when running in standard detail?

Also at the plugin issue, woldent it be possible to use Java SE for Embedded 6 for ARMs plugins?

Back