It Arrived and it's totally awesome!

SiegfriedCroes

Game Developer | Pixel Artist
So, yesterday I had been at my "other home" for the whole day but went home in the evening. After arriving and opening the gate of my front yard I noticed some advertising brochure sticking out from under the door of my mailbox. I opened it and to my surprise there was more than just worthless advertising stuff inside...

A PACKAGE?

For ME?!

Confused I walked to my front door. Went inside and examined the package... scanning for info... Then I saw "OpenPandora GMBH" and I was like ................................... :blink:

Never thought I would have it this early, it really took only 7 days to get to me, from bank transfer payment on last Saturday to arrival yesterday. Weird actually, since when does UPS deliver in the weekends... Also, I didn't get any shipping confirmation so I wasn't expecting anything at all!

It really was a magical moment opening that box, seeing the device in my own hands... "it's real! It really is!!!" I said to myself...

Pandora.jpg

Now fast forward to this moment of writing I must say this device is the coolest handheld I ever hold in my hands. It all seems to work so perfectly! The keyboard, using the nubs as a mouse, the sound, the dpad and action button,... It's all just so great!!!

BUT......... I got 2 problems/issues............

After starting up for the first time I plugged in the adapter, red light went on and he was charging. I took my laptop + mouse out of my bag and thought, hey let's see if this mouse works on my pandora (it should, right?) I plugged it in but it didn't work... and then I also noticed the red light wasn't on anymore! tried a lot of things but I can't seem to charge it via the pwer adapter anymore (could the adapter itself be broken or...?). immediately tried charging using the mini-USB port and that seems to just work (although only when plugged in my laptop, tried using one of those USB to powerplug things but it only charges for a few minutes and then the red light goes off). That's one issue, the second is the fact that when I plug in a mouse (also tried xbox 360 controller) it doesn't work but a memorystick does. I tried plugging and unplugging one a few times and it just works fine but as soon as I plug in that mouse it doesn't work + it "kills" the USB for that session as when I try to put the memory stick back in it doesn't work either. After a restart the memory stick works again...

What do you guys think?

Aaaaaah, how can I be so stupid :p alright, one "issue" solved already. Now the other one. I'll try replacing the battery although I have done it a few times already...

EDIT: Replacing the battery didn't work...

Last edited by a moderator:
mice are usb 1.1, pandora usb port is 2.0 high speed only, then you must have a hub in between

charging issue: unplug the charger, take off the battery and reinsert it, from right to left, making sure it's well aligned with connectors,
That's odd.. there should be a usb 1 compatibility mode for that host..

EDIT: Should as in "I really think that would be feasible"

That's odd.. there should be a usb 1 compatibility mode for that host..

EDIT: Should as in "I really think that would be feasible"
It lacks a usb 1.1 host controller (i.e. hardware). Any usb port that has support for both usb 1.1 and usb 2.0 actually has two host controllers. There was no space to put in the additional controller. You should be able to connect usb 1.1 devices to the OTG port if you have the proper cable, though I never tried.

Probably wont help but you should try sticking paper between the battery and the battery cover to ensure a snug fit of the battery to the contacts. In addition if the unit has been provided with a fairly flat battery you may not see any lights or activity for some time, before the battery reaches a decent charge level and then it should charge up normally. Hope you get sorted and glad to hear you are happy with your purchase :) Just imagine waiting 2+ years instead of 7 days :) Then its like a visit from God herself.

Probably wont help but you should try sticking paper between the battery and the battery cover to ensure a snug fit of the battery to the contacts. In addition if the unit has been provided with a fairly flat battery you may not see any lights or activity for some time, before the battery reaches a decent charge level and then it should charge up normally. Hope you get sorted and glad to hear you are happy with your purchase :) Just imagine waiting 2+ years instead of 7 days :) Then its like a visit from God herself.

I'll try the paper trick, you never know :)

Oh and I upgraded to Premium by the way, I preordered mine in november 2009, that's not 2+ years but it sure was more than just 7 days :p

EDIT: Paper trick didn't do the trick :( ...

I'll try the paper trick, you never know :)

Oh and I upgraded to Premium by the way, I preordered mine in november 2009, that's not 2+ years but it sure was more than just 7 days :p

EDIT: Paper trick didn't do the trick :( ...

Glad it finally arrived! Also glad it's living up to expectations!

Hope you can figure out your charging issue soon!

If only I could find out if it's the charging itself or not... too bad I don't have a PSP and don't know anyone that does...

^ If it's of any help, this cable works perfectly with the Pandora (it's a multi-ended one that has, amongst others, the standard sat-nav/PSP charger tip which the Pandora uses), and is a decent price. It might be a decent way to see if it's the included charger, or the connector on the Pandora itself that's at fault (especially if you have a use for the other tips as well).

^ If it's of any help, this cable works perfectly with the Pandora (it's a multi-ended one that has, amongst others, the standard sat-nav/PSP charger tip which the Pandora uses), and is a decent price. It might be a decent way to see if it's the included charger, or the connector on the Pandora itself that's at fault (especially if you have a use for the other tips as well).

Hmmm don't own most of those so would be a bit useless... The weird thing is that the adapter worked in the beginning but after trying to plug in that mouse it doesn't work anymore (actually I don't know if it died the same moment I plugged in the mouse...) Could a power adapter just die, I really wonder?

@SONY: Thanks :) Took the picture with my Canon 600D I bought a few weeks ago. It can do Full-HD recording too, I should make a video!

@Jourdy288: It's a digital painting I made last year (from photo reference) ---> http://dssiege11.deviantart.com/gallery/12036523#/d2zjg3r :)

Did you try different outlets?

This may not be *officially* supported, but I've read and confirmed myself that the Open Pandora runs without the battery. Doing so could isolate the issue, whether it is the power adapter/connection being broken or the battery itself not taking a charge.

Be sure not to reinsert the battery while the Pandora is plugged in if you try this.

Hmmm don't own most of those so would be a bit useless... The weird thing is that the adapter worked in the beginning but after trying to plug in that mouse it doesn't work anymore (actually I don't know if it died the same moment I plugged in the mouse...) Could a power adapter just die, I really wonder?

@SONY: Thanks :) Took the picture with my Canon 600D I bought a few weeks ago. It can do Full-HD recording too, I should make a video!

@Jourdy288: It's a digital painting I made last year (from photo reference) ---> http://dssiege11.deviantart.com/gallery/12036523#/d2zjg3r :)

http://openpandora.deviantart.org

I created a DA group here!

Could a power adapter just die, I really wonder?
My understanding is that this is possible. I mean, not just with Pandora adapters - I gather that it could happen with any.
Yeah sounds like a dead adapter, although it would be good to confirm with a multimeter or something. Meanwhile you can charge through miniUSB port.

Did you try different outlets?

This may not be *officially* supported, but I've read and confirmed myself that the Open Pandora runs without the battery. Doing so could isolate the issue, whether it is the power adapter/connection being broken or the battery itself not taking a charge.

Be sure not to reinsert the battery while the Pandora is plugged in if you try this.

Just tried the adapter without battery, didn't work...

The battery is fine for sure as miniUSB charging just works :)

@SONY: I'll try and make one this week(end) :D

@Notaz: Maybe I'll try and go to my local game shop and ask them if they can check if the adapter works on a psp, or if they have a psp adapter lying around that I can test :) That could be a cool idea, wonder what they will thing when they see the Pandora :p

Back