Issue opening Paintown PND

DTH

Hello,

Unfortunately I couldn't find any other topic about this so because of that reason I am starting a new one.

About 2 months ago I got my Pandora Rebirth and every PND I tried until now works perfectly except Paintown. I downloaded it from the PNDmanager but when I open it from the simpleGUI it seems something is starting up but it just goes back to the menu after that. I tried it using the full desktop GUI but it will simply not open.

Does anybody know what I should do to fix this issue?

Thanks!

Looks like it's one of those PNDs broken by python update done a few years ago. Ideally the PND should be recompiled, but you can try this hack (run commands on the shell):

Code:
mkdir /media/<insert_your_card_name_here>/pandora/appdata/paintown/lib/
cp /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0 /media/<insert_your_card_name_here>/pandora/appdata/paintown/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Notaz for your quick reply. Since I am very new to this, could you please tell where I should put this hack? Sorry for bothering!

you need to open a terminal window to do this. Are you on minimenu or are you using xfce? In either case, try to find the terminal application and open it to get a command line.

to know what your sdcard is named as type "ls /media/" and it will list the directories in the media folder, where both sdcards are located.

then copy and paste notaz instructions one by one.

mkdir /media/<insert_your_card_name_here>/pandora/appdata/paintown/lib/

this creates a new directory. "mkdir" is the command for doing this. the path is written afterwards, you just need to insert the name of your sdcard folder (all drives and devices are represented by folders in linux/unix).

cp /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0 /media/<insert_your_card_name_here>/pandora/appdata/paintown/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0

this next line uses the cp command to copy the file "libpython2.7.so.1.0" to the path that you have created previously and renames it so the program can find it (it's looking for an earlier version of that library).

You should look at a quick tutorial on how to use the linux command line "bash". It's very powerful and will teach you a lot about linux and computers. Using text commands is quite fun, you'd be surprised at what can be achieved with this. Hope you'll get it working! Cheers.

EDIT: here is a nice guide for linux command line interface (CLI) beginners: http://linuxcommand.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks xnopasaranx, like this I should be able to understand although it will probably take me a while. Will keep you guys informed.

you can't do anything wrong with those two lines and it's a start. If you are not used to using a command line at all, it can be a steep learning curve. Lots of tweaks and things you can do with your pandora, require use of the command line so you'll encounter it again. You can have a lot of fun with it. There are a couple of cool scripts and CLI programs on the PND manager repository. Look into "mps" for a cool example. It let's you search and stream mp3s as playlists with a simple text interface. Very cool. There is also a collection of scripts and tools for the CLI on the repository packaged by StreaK here:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=cli-love-app

it's nice to have, just for trying things out. It comes with a very powerful and fun CLI and a multitude of stuff.

here's mps:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=mps

Thanks both, it's now running. Those links for sure look interesting, will need to take some time indeed to check them out.

Thanks again!

Back