Is this normal?

NoeleyC

On my recently recieved Igig unit, I am gettingan occasional what can only be described as a "boing" noise upon starting certain PND's. It seems to be most noticeable on ones that boot directly into a menu like Picklelauncher. I don't remember this happening on my older First Edition batch one at all, but I've not tried both in tandem to investigate further.

Also, on the D-Pad, the amount of travel observed when pushing down mean I can see over the egde of the D-pad into the Pandora itself (I'm not describing it brilliantly I know!). Does this mean the pad isn't fully glued into place? It doesn't seem to affect use of the pad at all, all directions work perfectly...

On my recently recieved Igig unit, I am gettingan occasional what can only be described as a "boing" noise upon starting certain PND's

Yeah, It's more noticeable on my Rebirth Pandora than my first batch.. but it's just a result of the Amplifier powering back on, from what I gather the Pandora will turn off the amplifier if no sound is being played to save power and will power back on if sound starts being played.

Edit: Just to add, it's generally why you hear it at the start of a PND launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my recently recieved Igig unit, I am gettingan occasional what can only be described as a "boing" noise upon starting certain PND's. It seems to be most noticeable on ones that boot directly into a menu like Picklelauncher. I don't remember this happening on my older First Edition batch one at all, but I've not tried both in tandem to investigate further.
i get these sounds too under the described circumstances. it kinda sounds like periodical electrical discharge of the speakers. it does not appear while the speakers are being used to play sound (or it does but isnt noticeable), thus its not a super big issue for me.

Now I know I'm not alone with this, that makes it much more reassuring!! Thanks for the helps guys :)

I had this on my 256 mb unit, too.

Nothing to worry about :)

I only get this when I start up the SNES emulator, but mine sounds more like crickets chirping than a "boing" sound. Both on a 256 and 512 unit

Even my BeagleBoard does this. I actually wish I knew how to stop it: for the most part the only sounds my BeagleBoard makes are IM alerts and the sound chip doesn't turn on fast enough to play them. I just associate the "boing" sound with getting a message now. :p

I hear a sound when the amplifier switches OFF, not ON. Even if the volume wheel is all the way down, I get this. It typically happens something like 10 seconds after quitting some application that produces sound. I don't mind though - it doesn't seem to affect the sound quality in any way.

I also noticed this in my first batch unit. Exactly how _wb_ describes it, just after a few seconds of closing any application that produces sound.

Ah yes. I heard that, though very faintly. I believe I hear that mainly with vlc being open.

I kind of thought it was like a tiny frog burping...

I hear it too (1st batch 256MB). Always thought it's random. May focus on when it happens since now on.

And my feeling is that it started with some of the latest OS versions. Never heard it before.

Back