Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nut Job

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

telegramguy

Website
www.youtube.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gYVU2Zccco

Here he is on Meet the Press getting grilled by Tim Russert. What do you guys over in Europe think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll watch this tomorrow and vote, but I just wanted to say that I recently saw that video of Huckabee talking about celebrating Christ's birthday. This is to be the fucking president of a country; keep the religious beliefs OUT of my face, thanks. Separation of church and state for the win ;)

The US is in pretty sorry shape atm. I just hope someone can step up to the plate and pull us out of the water in time.

Lets see the Google test:

107,000 : 83,000
visionary nut job

I have no opinion on this matter as of yet, there are still 31 other freaking candidates to compare him to and its making my head hurt.

Fat Agnus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gYVU2Zccco

Here he is on Meet the Press getting grilled by Tim Russert. What do you guys over in Europe think?

I've seen a bunch of his interviews and he usually is pretty calm and well spoken. This one, well, he seemed like a deer in headlights for a good portion of it. Not his best interview for sure.

Oh, I'm not in Europe.

~telengard

When I first saw Ron Paul I honestly thought he was a joke. A fake candidate, or possibly a real candidate with a silly policy (like the Monster Raving Loony Party here in the UK).

From what I've seen of his interview video, he raises important points (especially not acting as a global policeman, bringing troops home) but some of his policies are ridiculous. I don't see how one could perceivably eliminate income tax without considerable government debt (it stands at 9 trillion dollars apparently). This interview has given me a rather unfavourable impression of him - he can't produce anything except general ideas - but it seems to me that he isn't just crazy.

I can't say whether he is a visionary or a nut job but he is consistent in his views and I can respect that.

I just watched all 4 parts, and I have to say, I don't care much for this guy. I think he's completely full of shit.

Good luck removing the income tax! On the other hand, some of what he says is true imo, such as America becoming fascist and us losing our rights.

I'm still not sure who gets my vote.

This guy is a nut job. These "privitize everything" libertarian types are nuts. Get rid of government and leave everything to the for-profit large corporations? You see how "well" that works for health care. Health care is great in the US, for those that can afford it. Yeah that works real well for the rich, everyone else go screw yourself.

Yes the US is steaming full speed ahead towards facism, corporatism, and theocracy. But this nut isn't the one to get us out of it. While none of the candidates are a slam dunk I think the most electable and best one right now is John Edwards. The Republican side is filled with total wack jobs like that religious nutcase Huckabee, Romney or mob crime boss Guiliani which is just as bad as the Bush crime family. I guess if the president had to be a Republican, Paul would probably do the least damage. Most of his nutty plans would never be instated, and he probably wouldn't try to blow up the world like neocon Guiliani would.

I don't think any of the candidates Republican or Democrat are "visionaries" I think it is just a matter of choosing the best of the worst ;)

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Good luck removing the income tax!
Well, Huckabee who actually has a chance is in favor of stopping income tax by putting a higher tax on goods so its not a totally insane concept.

Ron Paul's ideas sound really great but as I'm no economist i cant really say that they would actually work, he seems a little to radical with the changes he wants to make to actually be someone i would vote for since alot of his ideas could really end up screwing a lot of people over if they don't work. If I could vote i would have to go with Obama or Edwards because all the republicans with any chance of being elected are straight up crazy and Hillary Clinton will somehow fuck up gta4's release.

nickspoon said:
some of his policies are ridiculous. I don't see how one could perceivably eliminate income tax without considerable government debt (it stands at 9 trillion dollars apparently)

Are you perhaps under the mistaken assumption that income tax is the only way the government makes money? There are many other ways our government takes in money, and many more that it could implement (why do telecom/airline/etc companies get subsidies AND make millions? the govt should be charging them for the privilege of their monopoly). And the best way to avoid debt is to spend less. Lets take the 40%+ of the federal budget that goes to "defense" and cut that back to 15%, that alone will reduce our accruing debt by over a third.

DaveC said:
Get rid of government and leave everything to the for-profit large corporations? You see how "well" that works for health care. Health care is great in the US, for those that can afford it. Yeah that works real well for the rich, everyone else go screw yourself.

Bullshit. Private healthcare is expensive in the USA because of the massively high cost of entry due to unfair legislation. There is a market for budget health care, but no one can supply it because of regulation. My optometrist, who is no more expensive than any other I have found, charges $100 for a 30 minute visit (i have unusual eye problems, this isnt just an exam). Even cutting out a bit for his office and his staff, that's still $50/hr+ to be told an answer I already know and get a prescription for the same steroid ointment that I got last time. Compare that to the dental college where I get my cleanings and oral surgery (wisdom teeth in the process of coming out) done, where they charge less than 25% the professional rate AND don't charge extra for follow ups ($64 for the visit, $50 to have a wisdom tooth out, and the $64 also covers the followup check a week later. Any professional oral surgery practice I can find wants $200+ for the two visits plus AT LEAST $200 per tooth, up to $500 if there are complications)! Deregulate healthcare (obviously not with regards to safety) and let the market take care of itself, those of us who can't afford insurance will thank you.

Huckabee has no chance in hell. I can't stand Hilary, but ya know Bill will be back in the White house, and he's just what this economy needs to fix the damage from Bush. For that reason alone, she may get my vote.

I'm still not positive, though.

mdinire said:
I can't say whether he is a visionary or a nut job but he is consistent in his views and I can respect that.
Bush was consistant too, you see how well that turned out :rolleyes:

Jackd said:
Well, Huckabee who actually has a chance is in favor of stopping income tax by putting a higher tax on goods so its not a totally insane concept.

Hillary Clinton will somehow fuck up gta4's release.
Yeah put a higher tax on goods and eliminate an income tax. And who will that hurt? The middle class and the poor (the poor especially as they hardly pay much in income tax anyway). The end result is a higher tax on the middle class and a lower tax on the rich. Is that what we want is another assault in the war on the middle class? If everything gets much more expensive and everyone including the middle class and the poor have to pay alot more for things that will further ruin the economy. They will buy less and/or eliminate many purchases when on a limited budget. The rich won't care of course. So then we will have businesses producing less due to a decreased demand. If you produce less you need less employees. Now you have more expensive goods, higher unemployment, worse economy. Huckabee is a Jesus freak. I can't put much behind a guy who actually thinks the earth is only 6000 years old, he is a nut job.

DaveC said:
Huckabee is a Jesus freak. I can't put much behind a guy who actually thinks the earth is only 6000 years old, he is a nut job.
i completely agree... im just saying that more mainstream candidates are also in support of ending income tax.

Sparr said:
nickspoon said:
some of his policies are ridiculous. I don't see how one could perceivably eliminate income tax without considerable government debt (it stands at 9 trillion dollars apparently)

Are you perhaps under the mistaken assumption that income tax is the only way the government makes money? There are many other ways our government takes in money, and many more that it could implement (why do telecom/airline/etc companies get subsidies AND make millions? the govt should be charging them for the privilege of their monopoly). And the best way to avoid debt is to spend less. Lets take the 40%+ of the federal budget that goes to "defense" and cut that back to 15%, that alone will reduce our accruing debt by over a third.

Don't be so condescending. I know that the government makes money in many many other ways, but income tax makes up a significant portion of it and until I can be given an answer which is more than just wishy-washy "new taxes, increase taxes on stuff like x, y and z" I can't really support that policy.

Jackd said:
DaveC said:
Huckabee is a Jesus freak. I can't put much behind a guy who actually thinks the earth is only 6000 years old, he is a nut job.
i completely agree... im just saying that more mainstream candidates are also in support of ending income tax.

Yeah some are just pandering for votes. They just try to put out sound bites that sound good to the ignorant among us. "yeah no taxes!! I hate taxes, Im votin' fer him!!" Of course they don't think beyond the sound bite. If you put any brain power to what they say you realize that they are either nuts or just pandering.

Although I'm still not sure who to support, I do think that reducing our government's dependence on tax money is a good idea. Perhaps then more people would be able to afford our fucked up medical system and be able to stay the hell out of Wal-Mart.

Blah said:
Although I'm still not sure who to support, I do think that reducing our government's dependence on tax money is a good idea. Perhaps then more people would be able to afford our fucked up medical system and be able to stay the hell out of Wal-Mart.
Where would the government get its money from if not tax money. Why would they stop shopping at Walmart, theres nothing wrong with low prices even if you have more money, it would just mean they could save more.

A little of both, I think. A Huckabee-McCain ticket would be pretty darned good, in my opinion. Get Washington out of gridlock, and cut down on pork projects.

Well Wal-Mart is decent for everything but food, their food sucks and its bad for you. Its all imported anyway and they pass the un-American non-union slavings on to you.

And I'm not saying that the government would stop taxing, its just that they could spend far less money than they are. For example, the most money is spent on welfare and other aid (which people wouldn't need if they had more money because of being taxed less and in some cases got a fucking job), followed closely by the huge military budget (for policing the world and our thoughts). Military brats live in luxury while their health insurance is paid by people living in near squalor.

Blah said:
Military brats live in luxury while their health insurance is paid by people living in near squalor.
You know, they're also the people getting killed, generally. Or injured, in which case they would NEED health insurance.

Back