Is Anyone Still Working On Lynx Emulation?

0-bake

hi,

i just wanted to know, if theres still someone working on a atari lynx emulator.
i remember that someone tried to, but i remember, the code to port was not good, so the emu was very slow.

i always liked the lynx (and like ist still), so i wonder, if this project is still active?

I think it was abandoned due to the lack of Lynx hardware documentation. The "Handy" code is too inefficient.

Too bad. The lynx was truly an amazing handheld...

Oops two posts at exactly the same time...squidge ... Keep up the good work !

Yeah, the Lynx was WAY ahead of its time. The reasons that make it great are also the reasons that it is a pain to emulate, all of those custom chips.

Lynx had about 100 games released for it, not that bad.

EDIT: Like the 3do, it was very expensive when it came out and it didn't have much third party support like nintendo had. Both systems died before its potential was reached.

the lynx had not that popular games, like the gameboy had. i guess, there are about 80 games. compared to the gameboy, it is very poor.

the lynx had also no super-top games, like mario, etc... and it had a bad marketing. nobody knew anything about the lynx.

Just like the Game Gear, Virtual Boy and Super Scope it required too many batteries. I have a broken broken Lynx and after taking it apart I noticed the mini flourescent light they used for the backlight. that may have been why it too all those batteries. The only game I like for Lynx is Chip's Challenge.

I'd look forward to a BETTER Lynx emulator for GP32 but I don't think anyone'll sppiut one out anytime soon.
Also a good Neo Geo Pocket Color emulator would be great too.

the lynx had some really good games. many arcade conversions, which were better on the lynx as on every other console.
california games and gauntlet for example.

my faves are (the above ones),
slime world (best version i know),
rampage (best version i know),
warbirds,
xenophobe (best version i know),
blue lightning,
toki,
rygar,
A.P.B.
and others, i don't remember right know.

Also:

Joust (blows the GB version away)
Robotron (excellent action)
Rampart (which I play every week - awesome arcade conversion with speech - a great combination of puzzle, strategy and action)

There is also a recent release (last year) for it, Alpine Games, which looks fantastic...

battery life

it was huge

lack of really killer apps although it had some good games

not nearly as much marketing as the gb

the gb was far behind the game gear or the lynx or turbo graphics 16 portable. However it was smaller, had good battery life, huge amount of games made by dig developers, and a huge amount of marketing so it won the hand held battle at the time.

was the lynx the one made by the same team who made the amiga custom chips (Paula, Agnus, Denise) or am I thinking abaut something else?

sh1976 posted on Feb 3 2005 at 02:24 AM said:
was the lynx the one made by the same team who made the amiga custom chips (Paula, Agnus, Denise) or am I thinking abaut something else?

It was the Lynx. These guys were involved with:

Atari 400/800 computers

Amiga

Lynx (originally the Epyx Handy)

Panasonic 3DO

Last edited by a moderator:
sh1976 posted on Feb 3 2005 at 12:54 PM said:

Yes. A lot of the original Amiga dev team (who were also the driving force behind EPYX) designed the Lynx. It was offered to Commodore (who bought the Amiga) but they were not interested so they sold it to Atari.

Interestingly enough, the Lynx dev programs ran on Amigas. Atari were not happy about having to buy their main competitor's systems to dev on the Lynx :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back