Internet Connected Caanoo

Can your Caanoo access the internet?

• Yes, my Caanoo is or can be connected to the internet using Wifi dongle, USB cable or other option

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • No, but i am planning to buy a Wifi dongle (or whatever)

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • No my Caanoo has never been connected to the internet

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters

u9i

Call me Uni
Website
riotdigital.com
Hi,

I'm working on a little project here, which needs an internet connected Caanoo. So i would like to know how many people can actually get their Caanoo online.

I made a similar poll for your Wiz here.

/Uni

Last edited by a moderator:
u9i said:
Hi,

I'm working on a little project here, which needs an internet connected Caanoo.

/Uni

What are you doing?

Though I haven't got a caanoo yet, I am certainly planning on getting it soon, together with a wifi dongle. I voted #2, as that seemed the most accurate.

Well, I tried and failed. I bought a Buffalo Nfinity adapter with what is said to be the proper RT 2870 chipset, but I could not get the caanoo to recognize it as anything, much less a wifi adapter.

But.. I couldnt get the same adapter installed on a win7 pc or a win xp PC either, so its currently in RMA awaiting a replacement in order to try again. Im hoping that I just got a bad one out of the bunch, and im not just doing something rong.

So.. by this time next week, I might be able to offer up more assistance.

Thanks knoeki. #2 is perfect. What i am looking to see is if whether the majority has access to the internet (or will get it, given a reason ;) ).

RatoZumbi, right now i am just getting a lot of crashes, but i'm hoping to show off some stuff soon.

Viranimus Invictus, is that the really small one (few mm.) or the thumb-size one? I am looking for one of those that are almost completely hidden inside the port.

I would have expected more votes though. Is the community dying? Are we only 17 people left? Or are people just not bothered logging on to vote?

/Uni

u9i said:
Is the community dying? Are we only 17 people left? Or are people just not bothered logging on to vote?

I will vote soon as i get my caanoo. Probably it will be option 2.

I think the community is just seeing a lull due to the holiday season (working extra hours, shopping, spending time with family, etc.). We've had as many new apps\games released in the past month as we were getting every week back in October.

People are busy, so the community will slow down a bit. Hopefully things will pick back up in January.

I would probably buy a dongle / connect my Caanoo to the Internet if a few good games or apps came out for it. Without any reason to, I'm not going to connect it.

u9i said:
Thanks knoeki. #2 is perfect. What i am looking to see is if whether the majority has access to the internet (or will get it, given a reason ;) ).

RatoZumbi, right now i am just getting a lot of crashes, but i'm hoping to show off some stuff soon.

Viranimus Invictus, is that the really small one (few mm.) or the thumb-size one? I am looking for one of those that are almost completely hidden inside the port.

I would have expected more votes though. Is the community dying? Are we only 17 people left? Or are people just not bothered logging on to vote?

/Uni
I'm not sure why more people havn't voted :huh:. Maybe very few are even bothering with the dongles. I voted #1 in both sections as I have that big-ass official one and it works for both consoles. I struck out with 2 other thumb size dongles so I said screw it and bought the Caanoo dongle.

SolarLune said:
I would probably buy a dongle / connect my Caanoo to the Internet if a few good games or apps came out for it. Without any reason to, I'm not going to connect it.

Same here.

I'm not even sure what kind of apps I would want. Browsing the internet at 320x240 doesn't seem all that appealing.

A basic email app with an onscreen QWERT keyboard would probably be useful. And maybe a weather app.

@ozzuneoj - The weather application sounds good. Or, someone could port an already online-enabled game (like Battle of Wesnoth or something like that) to work on the Caanoo. A few of those would make me buy a Wi-fi module.

An email app. That would be kinda cool. I could use that! I find it nicer to type with a stylus then the finger, which i have to do on my phone. I make less mistakes. Maybe my fingers are too fat :blink: Or maybe my HTC Desire isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Orion4874, i know how you feel. I still haven't bought the official dongle. It is just so damn big. I was hoping someone would get something smaller to work. I don't really know how to do that myself. So right now i use ethernet over usb. It is fine for developing anyway.

/Uni

To answer the direct question, the very small drive with the RT 2870 chipset.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162030&cm_re=buffalo_nfiniti-_-33-162-030-_-Product

Its not the smallest one ive seen, but I chose this one based on its price at the time Plus what I had read on this forum that it was one that was pretty much plug and play. My first one wasnt.. Ill be getting the RMA replacement next week.

ozzuneoj said:
SolarLune said:

Same here.

I'm not even sure what kind of apps I would want. Browsing the internet at 320x240 doesn't seem all that appealing.

Browsing the internet at lower resolutions is doable, as long as you stick to mobile websites.

#3 got my vote. My Caanoo isn't currently net-capable and it'll probably remain that way until there's a particularly compelling app that requires me to be online.

I don't really play online except occasionally MMORPGs (and it's been a while since I touched any of those) so I doubt anything would make me want to connect the Caanoo. Usually whenever I'm in a usable wi-fi zone I have my laptop with me anyway so I can just play online using that instead. Unless your new project is really amazing you can probably count me in the "no" camp. :p

so i'm guessing i'm probably the only one here that plays quake over the internet on my caanoo...

blues2 said:
so i'm guessing i'm probably the only one here that plays quake over the internet on my caanoo...

I'd give it a try, but I can't get my wifi dongle's drivers to work. I know there's another thread, but does anyone here have any suggestions of a compatible small one, in white?

Back