Installing Slackware on GPD Pocket

zedr0k

I tried installing Slackware on my GPD Pocket. I wasn't able to boot some of the regular install-iso's or live-cd. (they all stuck after the grubmenu)

So I finally tried the usbboot.img from usb-and-pxe-installers - section.

...and it booted without any problems. I connected the usbstick via a usb-hub with a usb-ethernet-adapter on another port of the hub. (be sure to connect power-supply to your pocket, if you use a passiv-hub).

I booted the usbboot.img and did a normal network-install with a current-mirror to get an current kernel installed.

At the end of the installation I installed elilo, rebooted and the pocket won't boot into the new system.

So I took an ubuntu-live-system from https://apt.nexus511.net/index.html (great thanks to that guy!). I chrooted into the Slackware-System:

mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/boot/efi

mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/

chroot /mnt /bin/bash​

Instead of tinkering with the installed kernel, I decided to install Hans de Goedes - Kernel (https://github.com/jwrdegoede/linux-sunxi) with the .config-file from nexus.

cd /usr/src
git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/linux-sunxi.git
rm linux
ln -s linux-sunxi linux
cp .configold linux/.config
cd linux
make oldconfig
make bzImage modules
make modules_install
cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-degoede-4.14.0-rc3+
cp System.map /boot/System.map-degoede-4.14.0-rc3+
cp .config /boot/config-degoede-4.14.0-rc3+
cd /boot/
rm System.map
ln -s System.map-degoede-4.14.0-rc3+ System.map​

generated initrd:

/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh -k 4.14.0-rc3+​

gives:

mkinitrd -c -k 4.14.0-rc3+ -f ext4 -r /dev/mmcblk0p2 -m usb-storage:sdhci:sdhci-acpi:xhci-pci:eek:hci-pci:ehci-pci:xhci-hcd:uhci-hcd:ehci-hcd:hid:usbhid:i2c-hid:hid_generic:hid-cherry:hid-logitech:hid-logitech-dj:hid-logitech-hidpp:hid-lenovo:hid-microsoft:hid_multitouch:ext4 -u -o /boot/initrd.gz​

You have to add the mmc_block module to the modules. So

mkinitrd -c -k 4.14.0-rc3+ -f ext4 -r /dev/mmcblk0p2 -m usb-storage:sdhci:sdhci-acpi:xhci-pci:eek:hci-pci:ehci-pci:xhci-hcd:uhci-hcd:ehci-hcd:hid:usbhid:i2c-hid:hid_generic:hid-cherry:hid-logitech:hid-logitech-dj:hid-logitech-hidpp:hid-lenovo:hid-microsoft:hid_multitouch:ext4:mmc_block -u -o /boot/initrd.gz​

gives you a proper initrd

copy the initrd and your kernel-file to

/boot/efi/EFI/Slackware/​

and run

eliloconfig​

now you can reboot and your pocket should start correct, starting udevadm takes some time (I don't know why) but at the end there's the login-prompt and you can login as root and do all the post-installation-stuff (creating user account, tinker the xorg.conf, ...)

Last edited:

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
Nice tutorial, thanks.

As the installer booted, you could simply have used the installer instead of using Ubuntu to chroot into the system.

HatTrick

Still Fresh
Good to know there's a path to get a leaner distro working! The Pocket is shaping up to be a solid UMPC option.

I've had the same udevadm delay before, the fix in my case was setting this particular kernel config option.
Code:
CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="/usr/bin/udevadm"

zedr0k

Thank you guys for that tip.

I will try this kernel-option with the next kernel. I'm currently running *rc3, Hans already has a *rc4 available. Hope I find the time this evening to configure the new one and build it overnight.

btw, thank you @Linux-SWAT for providing Slackware for the Pandora (really, really great)

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
I'm wondering what the appeal is for running Slackware - "pared down distro" = less precious space required for a working system?

Ok, I can understand it .. but I do wanna point out that the user experience with Ubuntu on the GPD Pocket is pretty freakin' great - we get nexus511's updates on a regular basis; there were many fixes in the 4.14 kernel pushed out last night, plus updated userspace stuff well-integrated with the setup.

I mean, and then there's "dpigs && bilboa" for getting rid of the stuff that's bloating up the system... so, while I get it that some people just prefer Slackware, I thought I'd add that I'm finding Ubuntu on the GPD Pocket perfectly cromulant, as well ..

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
btw, thank you @Linux-SWAT for providing Slackware for the Pandora (really, really great)

You're welcome :) .

About the
CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="/usr/bin/udevadm"

First check if the line
CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH=""
is present in the .config .
If not, just adding it without the udevadm path may be sufficient to get a fluid boot.

zedr0k

I have now compiled "Hans"-Kernel 4.14.0-rc4. The CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="" was already in the .config. So I changed it and let it point to the right location. Now there's no delay while booting and with the new kernel everything is working fine.
Thanks for that tip :)