Installing Games

Chipster

Still Fresh
I have the GPX2 and have followed guy falks guide to setting up. Ok the Shanghaix game installed ans seems to work. i also installed the SDL refering to install_libs.gpu file, the screen went black and the front menu returned as per instructions. I am now trying to install quke and Duke3d, but am having problems. i seem to need lots of extra files not in the download:duke3d.cfg, duke3d.grp, defs.con, game.con, user.con. Ple3ase tell me where to get these files and how to install on the sd card. If an illustration can be given of what the sd card should look like that would be very helpful

Hoping I can get this going

You need to add the textures and the audio to the SD card so the game knows what to process. It's just that that stuff is copyrighted, so you have to buy the game to get the files.

Basically, the ports (like Quake, Hexen, Wolfenstein, Duke) are just modified versions of the launcher, the thing that runs the game. The TEXTURES (walls, demons, menus) are all stuff you have to pay for.

They're not meant to be playable without them.

edit: It's also possible to use the textures of the shareware versions of the games (I don't know about Duke, but this is true with Quake, just copy 'pak1.pak' twice to the SD, rename one 'pak0.pak', so you have 'pak1' and 'pak0'). You just won't be able to play the whole game unless you buy it.

Rayek posted on Dec 15 2005 at 03:13 PM said:
You need to add the textures and the audio to the SD card so the game knows what to process. It's just that that stuff is copyrighted, so you have to buy the game to get the files.

Basically, the ports (like Quake, Hexen, Wolfenstein, Duke) are just modified versions of the launcher, the thing that runs the game. The TEXTURES (walls, demons, menus) are all stuff you have to pay for.

They're not meant to be playable without them.

edit: It's also possible to use the textures of the shareware versions of the games (I don't know about Duke, but this is true with Quake, just copy 'pak1.pak' twice to the SD, rename one 'pak0.pak', so you have 'pak1' and 'pak0'). You just won't be able to play the whole game unless you buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a freeware version of the datafiles for Quake/Duke3D? Like FreeDoom for Doom, which contains all the data entries of the official IWAD as far as names are concerned (which is what the engine really cares about) but using original material to replace the ID owned stuff(it looks weird of course because the sprites are generally massively different to the others, but better than nothing, and some of the levels are great. And it plays the same :)). Basically it would mean you could play the game for free without being a pirate or buying the game...

Is that all you need to have with the uhexen executable on your sd card is the hexen wad? As there is no readme in the archive I was unsure.

Back