Release Install JDownloader

TitanUranus

How I installed JDownloader On My Pandora

EDIT: I forgot to mention you will need to download and install the Java.pnd first, get it here:

http://repo.openpandora.org/includes/download.php?app=java

Ok, I use JDownloader a lot, and decided to try installing it on the Pandora - it works but not 100% perfectly. It should still perform well enough to make it useable. Here's how I installed it (I installed it on NAND, but I really recommend installing it on an OS running from SD). You might encounter some irritating problems setting it up, but once it's running it's fine. You will probably need to use a swap file to get some extra memory (especially if running JDownloader and Firefox). You can download and use this simple program from slaeshjag to set up a swap file:

http://repo.openpand...s-0.1-slaeshjag

For this guide I will use "cardname" where you see this please substitute the name of your SD. So here we go, this is how to get JDownloader on your Pandora:

Step 1:

Download the following file to the root of your SD card:

Step 2:

Open a terminal and type the following:

sudo su

(press return and enter your password)

cd \media\cardname

chmod +x jd_unix_0_9.sh

Step 3:

Now in the terminal type "

thunar

" and press return to open up the file browser. Once it's open, navigate to your SD card and find the file you downloaded called

jd_unix_0_9.sh

. Now

right click

on the file and select "

execute

". This should open the installer. For now, just install it in the default directory, with your own language. Just leave the default download directory when asked (for some reason it wasn't easy to change it with while installing). When/if asked

don't install "flashgot"

plugin and

don't create a desktop icon

(it won't show up anyway).

Step 4:

Once you have it installed it,

don't try to run it

. Close thunar, close the terminal, log out and

restart your Pandora

(for some reason I had to do this).

Step 5:

Click on the start tab, look in the "

Network

" utilities, click on JDownloader to start it up. You should be connected to the internet before you do this so it can update its self (can take a little while). Once it's started you can fiddle about with the settings. Firts of, change the default download directory (this is essential if you were silly enough to install on the NAND system), Some of the settings are a bit hard to get at because of the window size, but nothing of note is unavailable.If like me you have Firefox as a desktop icon, you can right click the firefox desktop icon and copy the run command from there and paste it into the "custom default browser" setting of JD. I also disabled the hjsplit and unrar plugins, but these things are really up to you. Now you can go browse the web (I use Firefox 9, but you'll need some swap available - I reccomend 512mb).

Hope someone finds this useful. I've probably gotten a few things wronf or missed something out, but really it's not that hard - even I figured it out. Now you can queue up all those rapidshare and megaupload roms you want and leave them downloading overnight. Any problems let me know and I'll try to help.

TITAN

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this, too. Only problem I had were a lot of crashes because of low mem, but with swap it seems to work.

You could also package it into a pnd.

Edit: Also you should mention, that it needs java installed.

are you using hotfix7alpha2? cause i can't get java pnd to work under this hotfix?

cheers

I thought WizardStan updated the pnd for use with hf6+ .

Are you using an old version? If so updating to the latest java pnd should do the trick.

Yes, hotfix 7a2 is what I'm running. I just installed it a couple of days ago, and the java pnd installed fine.

I thought WizardStan updated the pnd for use with hf6+ .

Are you using an old version? If so updating to the latest java pnd should do the trick.

ah thanks! i normally use pndstore to check quickly if i need to update and it did not have any update alert but looking more closely the pnd on the rep had a .beta tag attached which mine prev java pnd did not!

so downloaded java pnd from repo and it works!

The previous version was not on the repo, so it couldn't show updates :)

i did the pnd with jdownloader few months ago but it was soo slow so i decided to not to publish it

Well, I had to fiddle about to get it to install, so I'd have to fiddle about a lot more to figure out how to pnd it. Right now I can't be bothered learning to pnd it - maybe some other time. Besides, the updates to JDownloader are so frequent it'd be a nightmare to keep up to date in pnd format. If like me you enjoy tinkering with the pandora, this way of installing is just fine.

Back