Instability Caused By Power Drain?

abigsmurf

I've just got some high capacity rechargables for the GP2X and it seems that it largely fixes the movies crashing after a minute or so. As I had tried using fully charged refular batteries before it makes me wonder if most of the problems with the SD access are it needed too much current.

Can anyone else confirm that the <1m before crashing is fixed with high capacity rechargables or is my unit freaky?

I've just got some high capacity rechargables for the GP2X and it seems that it largely fixes the movies crashing after a minute or so. As I had tried using fully charged refular batteries before it makes me wonder if most of the problems with the SD access are it needed too much current.

Can anyone else confirm that the <1m before crashing is fixed with high capacity rechargables or is my unit freaky?

I don't have a unit yet so I can't confirm anything. It's possible though some units suffer more from high resistance than others. Crashing after less than one minute sounds a bit extreme. Like any electric device the GP2X needs enough current to work correctly. The amount of current in a circuit depends on the amount of voltage available to move the electrons, and also the amount of resistance in the circuit to oppose electron flow. If there's a lot of resistance you need batteries that can provide high voltage for as long as possible. NiMHs are much better at this than regular alkalines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alkaline batteries aren't designed for high drain applications. They're meant for slower, long period drains, whereas NiMH is meant for higher drain devices.

If you don't have enough current, bits will get flipped, causing all kinds of hell. Its just a better idea to stick with NiMH batteries.

Edit: stupidwordsthatruntogetherdontlookgood.

Back