If tablets are today's fad...

Blue Protoman

If tablets are today's fad, then what might be tomorrow's, in terms of tech or software? Or what will die out? And I mean in the very near future; no more than five years, and that's pushing it. Let's throw some ideas around here. Serious ideas; not "lolol virtual reality", unless we're really five years away from that.

Folding tablets probably. Maybe you could wear them on your wrist or something along those lines.
In the next 5 years? hmmm I dont think the technology will be cheap enough or maybe even advanced enough in the next 5 years.

Though it is an interesting idea and I have seen/read about a nokia future tech conepts which sounds very much like what you describe.

Augmented reality, wearable computers... perhaps not for a few decades, though.

I imagine, as Craig says, that foldable tablets would be the next "thing". Coupling the large screen display of a tablet, with the portability of something that'll actually fit in your pocket.

Not having a rigid, glass display would also work wonders for durability... at least in some respects.

For the screen not to be floppy when folded out, I'd work a bit like a tape measure; being slightly curved.

i don't really think there will be an obvious fad so much as we will see technology converge and miniaturize but with more and more reasonably priced wireless costs.

speaking of wireless, i think we will start to see cable-free stuff more and more, provided the cost is not prohibitive. inc more induction charging.

The next fad will be the next thing Apple says is 'magical'.

Honestly, we should declare that having a usable computer and semi-fast internet in every home in America be the next fad. We're close, but not there yet. And I'd much rather see this in America than the other 'innovations in computing' like Windows 8 user interfaces or the next Apple product. Sure, new GUIs and devices are cool, but in the grand scheme of things having people getting connected has been more revolutionary in computing than a new product line.

Clamshell portables with a physical keyboard and gaming controls?

@Mr Rob,

I agree but the new "GUIs" there are coming out are there to make it easier for people to use which means more people will actually be able to get online without going to some sort of computer lesson, its alright being connected if you dont know how to use it, the easy "just works" way of thinking is putting the internet and connectivity into more peoples reach.

I think we are slowly reaching the point where we will start to see more ambient intelligence scenarios creeping into the home environment of people.

I don't think folding screens are very far away in one shape or another.

I envision a way to make the tablet pocket sized so it can be both a tablet and a phone.

Maybe only one segment of the screen is visible in phone mode, and it can then fold out to be two or three screens tall.

That's how I'd do it, if I was making one, and to save money I'd just use current flat LCD tech and literally have 3 folded screens in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another issue with tablets is no tactile feedback while typing, probably they would make that relief screens or maybe a physical keyboard on the rear side of the device for touch typists.

Try to read or type like that for 15 minutes. :) Of course it's not what you are supposed to do in the wastelands, but still.

Life needs a search engine. im getting real tired of searching for my keys and my tv remote. and faster, more affordable internet speeds need to make haste in many places, usa being one of them. but then again, Google has recently revealed 1gbps connections available to household users in the middle of the country, Kansas City of all places....

@Mr Rob,

I agree but the new "GUIs" there are coming out are there to make it easier for people to use which means more people will actually be able to get online without going to some sort of computer lesson, its alright being connected if you dont know how to use it, the easy "just works" way of thinking is putting the internet and connectivity into more peoples reach.

That is true, I don't disagree with you. One of the main selling points of the iPad and the like is that non-technical people can easily use them, which has it's merits, especially when the objective is to get more people connected in new ways.

However, I just think back to the 60+ years of computing, and grow a bit skeptical where every new product somehow revolutionizes computing.

Well, I'd imagine it might be something that doesn't actually replace the current tablet fad, but instead takes advantage of it in order to wedge itself into the market(that way it can also attempt to compel consumers to buy another new, yet familiar, barely useful tablet). Imagine a wristwatch-like ipod nano thing that syncs with your compatible tablet device to automagically download semi-relevant "apps"<-oh, how it bugs me to use that abbreviation... that way the casual market doesn't have to even think about finding anything, the i-device takes care of that for them! The user could then just blindly tap touchscreen icons into oblivion while the only thing the i-device has actually done is take a look at the user's download and web browsing history on their shiny, new tablet to take a stab at finding something that might be similar. If the guesses the i-device makes for things to download are quite wide of the mark, that would be even better, that way the company could advertise the second generation version as having an "evolved, new intelligent selection system!"

Fads are annoying and tiresome, all I need is a Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back