I Need A Project

Kordman916

Still Fresh
Hey everyone,

For the past 2 months I've been unable to come up with any ideas for a game at all (Which isn't too surprising.) but the part that really bothers me is that I've recently acquired a scanner/printer all-in-one and even though I'm capable of drawing sprites for a game I can't draw any sprites because I don't have any ideas for a game.

So in order to solve this problem I've decided to ask you guys here if anyone would like to help me think of a project that we could work on as a team and port it over to the Pandora.

So what do you guys think? Anyone willing to help?

Here are some of my recent drawings just to show that I am capable of basic drawing. (Color and shading in Gimp)

winded.png

flyaway.png

goombakoopa.png

I know the pictures are very basic but if needed I could get into alot more detail.

I wish I knew a way to show you guys my programming skills (Very lacking.) but I can't even think of a way to do that. :p

Also I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting what some people would consider a team request but if I am breaking a rule then just let me know.

I've decided to make this thread where anyone can exchange ideas and form teams so that they may work on a project together.

Also if you have any art that you would like to post go ahead I'd love to see it. :)

If anyone needs anymore info E-mail me at: Kordman916@hotmail.com

First you should upload your images to some free image hoster like imageshack as the forum you linked only allows registered members to view the images - so they don't show up for (all of) us.

Then I don't think you break any rules by posting here, actually this section of the forum is exactly the right place to come in such situations.
I cannot give you any ideas, but I would really like to see your images ;)

In related news I planned on creating an accumulative thread for people to get together and form project groups a long time ago, maybe I find some time today...
But I hope you can get together with some guys and create something, so good luck with that.

Make a danmaku game where different consoles fight each other.
Of course, the player character is a Pandora.
The enemy NES fighters would shoot little Marios at you, and the PS1 would shoot polygons.

The final boss would be the Nintendo DS, and you could only win by convincing people that the Pandora is not actually a ripoff of the DS.

I'm in the same position, though. I have some code for a platform game, but almost no gameplay ideas. I'll just add random features and improvements until it becomes fun. Might be a while.

How about a game where you go on a predestined quest, all the while struggling against the idea that all your actions are predestined? Top-down Zelda-style; as you complete more and more quests, the game starts going on autopilot, and you're faced with the choice of either giving up your free will or letting the world crumble under some great big evil dude.

Or maybe a game about an archaeological dig; the map starts out as a barren desert, but as you uncover pieces of an old civilization, their world gradually fills in around you. This would probably have to be in 3D, first-person for best effect. For a social commentary bonus, make the player character withdraw further and further into this ancient world, slowly forgetting the world he left, including friends and family (he's getting lost in his work, see?).

Or maybe a game where you're a bomber pilot, heading a wing of bombers (about four or five), but there are many other wings in your squadron, so it's not really up to you to hit the target; someone else can do that. It's just up to you to see that all your people survive the battles while dodging flak from your superiors about being a terribly ineffective wing. If you realized that I'm basing this off of Catch-22, make the game end after a fixed number of missions, but keep increasing that number as more missions are completed.

In a similar vein, you could make WWII FPS where you play a really average military conscript who, like, unloads trucks and stuff. You build up relationships with the other lazy soldiers around you by shirking duties to go smoke, or by getting plastered nightly. Occasionally, your base is attacked and you're supposed to pick up a gun and help fight, but really, who's going to notice if you're actually hiding in a closet? This one might be tough to make since you would need really high quality graphics to compete with all the other WWII FPSes out there.

I just made those up off the top of my head. Ideas aren't that hard; just throw things together and see what you get. Because it's ultimately not the idea that creates a great game, but the execution.

Why not try giving crunchwrap a hand with knob polisher? That game's gonna be #1

edit: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52116-knob-polisher/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for all of the ideas keep 'em comin'!

Knob polisher? I'm not even sure what to think about that one...

I've also re-uploaded my art to imageshack so now everyone can see it :)

I'll give 5 points to the first person to tell me who the 2 characters are in the third drawing. :p

Alerino said:
i suggest a fan-made adventure game. Like this one: http://www.indylc2.com/

edit: also cool, http://www.barnettcollege.com/screenshots.htm

I would love to make a fan-game but one that isn't point and click preferably because I've never been a big fan of those games besides Monkey Island :)

Ive had this idea of a 2d prince of persia style game.But the central character is an acrobat capaple of many moves.
Trapezes ropes and traps,shimmying down ropes sliding on poles.overcoming many traps in a huge circus like complex
full of traps.Sounds rather complicated i guess though for a game.still ive given it alot of thought.Tiptoeing past
lasers and tripwires etc.You would be forced to negotiate the complex to acquire some mystical object for some shadowy
organization who have your family kidnapped.The character would be an ex circus acrobat.Too much detail?

Other idea is a little ballerina girl who twirls and spins and dances to evade destroy other cartoon enemies.She might
have a little music box too.She might be an old doll that comes to life somehow.cutesy style platformer.Damn i wish i could code or such but im shit at such things,oh well.

wrath of khan said:
Ive had this idea of a 2d prince of persia style game.But the central character is an acrobat capaple of many moves.
Trapezes ropes and traps,shimmying down ropes sliding on poles.overcoming many traps in a huge circus like complex
full of traps.Sounds rather complicated i guess though for a game.still ive given it alot of thought.Tiptoeing past
lasers and tripwires etc.You would be forced to negotiate the complex to acquire some mystical object for some shadowy
organization who have your family kidnapped.The character would be an ex circus acrobat.Too much detail?

Other idea is a little ballerina girl who twirls and spins and dances to evade destroy other cartoon enemies.She might
have a little music box too.She might be an old doll that comes to life somehow.cutesy style platformer.Damn i wish i could code or such but im shit at such things,oh well.

I love this idea but I'm not able to program most of the stuff you're talking about but I can draw scenery and backgrounds maybe if we can get a more seasoned programmer we could start working on a project similar to this. :)

Also keep the ideas comin' this thread isn't only for me but for anyone who's looking for an idea and wants to form a team to work on a project.

Also I'm going to use this tread as a place to post my art. :)

Kordman916 said:
I'll give 5 points to the first person to tell me who the 2 characters are in the third drawing. :p

Ummm... Goomba and Koopa. What are the points for? <.<

-God Ginrai

Kordman916 said:
wrath of khan said:

I love this idea but I'm not able to program most of the stuff you're talking about but I can draw scenery and backgrounds maybe if we can get a more seasoned programmer we could start working on a project similar to this. :)

Also keep the ideas comin' this thread isn't only for me but for anyone who's looking for an idea and wants to form a team to work on a project.

Also I'm going to use this tread as a place to post my art. :)
yeah im muckin about with a pixel art program called pro motion 6.trying to redevelope my old drawing skills. I used to muck about on dpaint years back.still trying to figure out the correct way to organise graphics and am trying to make some brushes.am a bit slow at the moment in doing graphics,trial and error and such but would like to make something for the pandy.

God Ginrai said:
Kordman916 said:

Ummm... Goomba and Koopa. What are the points for? <.<

-God Ginrai

Respect points my dear friend :D

I need someone to remake Plazmoids!. It's one of the best touchscreen games I have ever played. It's a pretty simple game. If you use a comfortable physics library it might not even be that difficult to code. You can find a video review of it here to get a better idea about how it works: http://www.plankfilms.com/pfm/palm/videoreviews.php#P
plaz2.jpg

Of course, reusing assets from the original game or the name is not an option. The scenario could be completely different. I just want something that plays like Plazmoids! on modern touchscreen Linux devices.

I could describe the gameplay for you, possibly make up a new scenario and maybe do some basic art. I'm still pretty much useless at programming, though.

OrR said:
I need someone to remake Plazmoids!. It's one of the best touchscreen games I have ever played. It's a pretty simple game. If you use a comfortable physics library it might not even be that difficult to code. You can find a video review of it here to get a better idea about how it works: http://www.plankfilms.com/pfm/palm/videoreviews.php#P
plaz2.jpg

Of course, reusing assets from the original game or the name is not an option. The scenario could be completely different. I just want something that plays like Plazmoids! on modern touchscreen Linux devices.

I could describe the gameplay for you, possibly make up a new scenario and maybe do some basic art. I'm still pretty much useless at programming, though.

I love the screenshot you uploaded the game looks amazing and I would love to remake a game that looks that fun.

But I have 2 questions:

Is there a demo for windows?

And....

What do you mean by basic art? Are you able to draw sprites or backgrounds?

Also I'm noticing the amount of ideas dwindling c'mon people post your ideas so others may take on the challenge of programming them.

Kordman916 said:
Also I'm noticing the amount of ideas dwindling c'mon people post your ideas
A rhythm game where you play an actual game as the framing device.
There would be, for example, directional buttons, a jump button, and a shoot button.
Everything would have to be pre-scripted, but it would save you from writing AI, showing the player what to do, that sort of thing.

Then if the player messes up, they lose points or health or time or something.

Not a great idea, but I haven't seen it fail yet.

lulzfish said:
Not a great idea, but I haven't seen it fail yet.
I haven't seen it yet even. And I would very much like to.

Kordman916 said:
I love the screenshot you uploaded the game looks amazing and I would love to remake a game that looks that fun.

But I have 2 questions:

Is there a demo for windows?

And....

What do you mean by basic art? Are you able to draw sprites or backgrounds?
Unfortunately, I couldn't get the game to run on a Palm OS simlulator. :( There is only this Palm OS version.

I could do some simple hand drawn or pixel art sprites probably. Nothing too fancy. Maybe some basic space backgrounds as well. Nothing as good as the original game, though.

Kordman916 said:
Also I'm noticing the amount of ideas dwindling c'mon people post your ideas so others may take on the challenge of programming them.
I thought you were interested in prograqmming something? Now it is for "others" to do?

Back