I Hate To Ask This But...

Azuma

Back when I first heard about the pandora I was looking for a device that would meet my fairly picky specifications. I looked all around the internet and even tried multiple devices out (such as the WIZ and an itouch) but none of them were quite right. basically I was looking for something that:

• Is very pocketable
  • has the ability to emulate ps1 games at or near fullspeed
  • has decent gaming controls
  • has a minimum of 7hrs for gaming and 12hrs of music playback from a full charge.
  • has a decent Media player
  • has at least 32gb of storage
  • has good wifi
  • and finally, has the ability to playback avi and other common video formats (converting that stuff for the psp was a real pain)

As you can see a few of my past device I've owned came very close, but none of them quite did it (if the wiz had like 4 more hrs of battery life and wifi I think it would have). When I saw the pandora I thought my prayers were finally answered, but when I got it I discovered it was just too big... It's an amazing console and for people in different circumstances I'm sure it's the perfect option, but for me it's not quite right. I only have like one pair of pants that I can even carry the thing in and I really don't feel comfortable carrying it even in those situations. I know many of you are thinking it would be nothing short of idiocy to trade it for something else just because it's too big but I really don't think I'll use it for almost anything else than what I listed above, so I would never take advantage of the pandoras future potential (it's pretty much as good as I need it to get right now). I don't know why I didn't hear about the n900 until way after I ordered my pandora but it looks like it may be better suited to my needs. I know it does meet most of those specifications but there are a few I needed to ask about.

I've seen vids of the ps1 emulator running pretty decent when overclocked, but is it going to get better anytime soon? Are people actively developing it? How nice is that gamepad add on? I've heard it's not that great but is it really THAT bad? I can usually deal with bad controls, the only controller that ever bothered me was the n64's. And finally, does it live up to my battery life requirements? I think everything else is pretty much covered. Another reason I want the n900 is because of the flash player and of course because it's a phone. The less stuff to carry the better. So would I be better suited for the n900? Or maybe some device I haven't heard of? Thanks for any help you can give.

The n900 fails on your third point. The game gripper is better than trying to use the keyboard for game control, but it's still not what I would call "decent". The buttons are still too close together, no more than two respond at once, and despite the name, the whole thing has a tendency to work it's way out of position.

Pandora might squash your nuts if you put it in your jeans pocket, but it won't microwave them like a mobile phone. My friend walked past my hi-fi and it started emitting the good old "deet de-deet de-deet" sound. It was the mobile in his pocket. I said "if it does that to my hi-fi from 2 meters away imagine what it's doing to your testicles".

In old sci-fi flicks if you got bitten by a radioactive spider you became superhuman. Reality taught us it's more likely you'll get sick, go bald then die. With the mass adoption of mobile phones we finally we get a chance to see the results from 1950's sci-fi mutation, people are really growing to gigantic proportions, though only horizontally!

Seriously, drop these toxic self-imposed electronic tagging devices, they blight everyones life and privacy. Stick with your oversized pandora instead. If you get an n900 you should incorporate a microwave door "ping" to your zip, just to remind you your sausage has been cooked when you open it.

very nice informative paranoid post you got there.....

n900
Is very pocketable - yes
has the ability to emulate ps1 games at or near fullspeed - didn't try but its almost the same as a pandora. My n900 can overclock to 1.1gHz
has decent gaming controls - not decent enough for most ps1 games.
has a minimum of 7hrs for gaming and 12hrs of music playback from a full charge.- i get about 2hrs gaming at most
has a decent Media player - has several decent ones
has at least 32gb of storage - has 32GB and you can add a microsd
has good wifi - yes + 3G
and finally, has the ability to playback avi and other common video formats (converting that stuff for the psp was a real pain) - yes

Well that would be good advice if I didn't already carry a phone everywhere I go, but even if I didn't there's always this... and at pcklee123, serously? only 2hrs? Wow, I guess I'll just stick with the pandora then...

Last edited by a moderator:
You will still have to convert files on the N900. You can't play files much above the 800x480 screen resolution (forget playing 720p files, xvid or h264). You can manually force mplayer to scale via software down to a proper, playable resolution, but it's VERY slow even overclocked. If the file isn't within the resolution restrictions, it will simply refuse to play outright and say it's because it's above the ~850x550 or so restriction.

N900 also only has 3G depending where you live / what bands are available. Here in Canada, you can only get 3G in the main cities like Vancouver or Toronto, everywhere else will be 2.5G/EDGE.

I use a N900 and I think gaming on it sucks ass (although with a gamegripper, it'd probably be passable for SNES and such, but PSX no) as well as it's multimedia capabilities, I much prefer my Cowon D2 for music playback. N900 is outdated and mostly stagnant as far as development goes, I wouldn't bother with one now unless you specifically wanted a full linux OS. Even then, nokia will probably release the N900's replacement soon anyways, since Meego is maturing.

N900 is not for gaming, the psx emulator is good technically but the buttons are too small to be able to properly navigate,
I played a bit of THPS and it ran well enough but without decent buttons its was pointless,
And yes you can run battery down in about 2 hours.
IIRC you can pair a sixaxis to a n900 and use that to game?

meandu229 said:
IIRC you can pair a sixaxis to a n900 and use that to game?

Yes, you can pair the Official Six Axis, and also the wii mote contoller.
Work great when hooked up to a television too !

Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I definitely will not switch to the n900 then... I think I'm gonna sell my PSP go and try out the Caanoo, That would fulfill most of my requirements. The main reason I sold my Wiz was because of the lack of wifi and lack of a ps1 emu anyways, so it should work out (maybe we can get ginge for the caanoo soon?)

Azuma said:
Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I definitely will not switch to the n900 then... I think I'm gonna sell my PSP go and try out the Caanoo, That would fulfill most of my requirements. The main reason I sold my Wiz was because of the lack of wifi and lack of a ps1 emu anyways, so it should work out (maybe we can get ginge for the caanoo soon?)

About the Nokia N9 ? http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-3398.php

I wonder if MeeGo OS can run any sort of emulator ?
nokia-n9-real.jpg

Looks interesting but it'll be a bit of a wait considering the website lists its status as:
Code:
Announced - Not officially announced yet
Status - Rumored.Exp. release 2011
. Definitely something to watch though.

This week I'll have an n900 \o/

Looking forward to have a phone with linux on it :D

Then hopefully in a month or 2 my pandora as well \o/

(I just hope my Masters won't get a blow because of all the hacking I will do :p)

Back