I got my OpenPandora 1GHz. I have questions though...

Lando23

Still Fresh
I got it from Ithic.com the day before Thanksgiving and I love this thing a lot. I'm not buying a tablet because this can do everything and more. I have a few questions...

- What is the color code for the TV Out Cable? I know that there is a video and a S-Video out. The red and white are line out (or in?). What are the black and blue ones then? Line In? And which color corresponds to L and R?  I want to try it out soon.

- The built in flash player doesn't work very well with Firefox, especially youtube plugins. Any other good alternative to the built in flash player?

- Do you know how many total OpenPandoras are out there when production has reched its end point? I'm curious.

Thanks!

Also, I am beginning to do 800 x 480 wallpaper projects for the OpenPandora as well. The application I use is Colors! 3D for the Nintendo 3DS and it easily makes 800 x 480 resolution artwork. Note, some of them contains Pony. So Bronies out there, you are in for a treat. Don't worry, I will make wallpapers without Ponies as well.

(Yes, I am a Brony)

- The built in flash player doesn't work very well with Firefox, especially youtube plugins. Any other good alternative to the built in flash player?
There is, but a more straightforward way to watch youtube videos is to download the application called "the tube" on the repo :)  

- Do you know how many total OpenPandoras are out there when production has reched its end point? I'm curious.
Current assumptions is between 4000 and 5000, as far as I can recall.  

I was just using The Tube this evening and it works great, but for some reason the dedicated TV out option wasn't working for me, I think using the regular one was what ended up working.

I believe the black and the blue ones are for line in, but I have no idea which one is which though and I haven't tried to use that.

- What is the color code for the TV Out Cable? I know that there is a video and a S-Video out. The red and white are line out (or in?). What are the black and blue ones then? Line In? And which color corresponds to L and R?  I want to try it out soon.
Red and white are the output, black and blue are inputs.. I have used them for audio input, but I would need to experiment to figure out which was left and right. 

The video decoder used by the flash plugin blows, "The Tube" player is what I use. if using the TV out ensure you are using the HW scaler mode before launching a video. 

^ What's the point of Audio in on your PC? 

You can record audio and such.. 

However the one time I was using the audio in was an odd situation I found myself in, I brought my PS3 down to a friends house and was forced to use a computer monitor without sound instead of a TV. Since HDMI audio couldn't be done, I used the regular analog line out which can't drive even low power ear buds.. So I used the line in on the Pandora and turned it into an expensive headphone amplifier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used Audacity actually, just the command line tools.. 

This is the post where I first played with putting the Pandora in a mode where it's capturing the Line in from the TV out cable and outputting it to the Speaker/Headphones..

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14453-how-to-use-pandora-as-an-amplifier/?p=277540/URL]

This command could be modified instead of piping to aplay it could be dumped into a raw wave file. 

Edit: found this on a quick google search: http://quicktoots.linux-audio.com/toots/quick-toot-arecord_and_rtmix-1.html

Welcome to the club.

I've found the number 4765.

The rest of them may be sold until about March/April and after that, we have to play through all the thousands of games for it very fast until there is a successor with even more games someday,

tormenting us with even more options on what to play or what to do.

The yellow one is composite TV-out, the S-Video is the only non-cinch of course. Red/white is Lini Out, red=right (easy to remember, r=r), white=left.

Blue/black is Line In, but I also would like to know which one is left or right ... I would guess blue is left and black is right, because blue/gray is coded like that for surround, and I think it would fit the order of the cables (left/right in, left/right out ... or whatever the order is).

Red and white are the output, black and blue are inputs.. I have used them for audio input, but I would need to experiment to figure out which was left and right. 

The video decoder used by the flash plugin blows, "The Tube" player is what I use. if using the TV out ensure you are using the HW scaler mode before launching a video. 
HW Scaler mode doesn't work. Use the other mode that works. Or at least it didn't when I tried that yesterday.

It's about 6000 Pandoras alltogether so far.
Awesome.

HW Scaler mode doesn't work.

HW Scaler mode is the only way the Tube can output video through the TV-Out cable.. It won't work on the Main Layer. It must be switched to HW Scaler mode prior to launching a video.

Also to note you will see a blank screen until you launch a video. This is the same with any emulator that uses the HW Scaler mode as well.

HW Scaler mode doesn't work.

HW Scaler mode is the only way the Tube can output video through the TV-Out cable.. It won't work on the Main Layer. It must be switched to HW Scaler mode prior to launching a video.

Also to note you will see a blank screen until you launch a video. This is the same with any emulator that uses the HW Scaler mode as well.
That's definitely not true.

Maybe there's something funky going on with my particular Pandy, but I wind up with video on both my Pandy and my TV when I use the normal option. When I use the HW Scaler mode I wind up with no video on my Pandy and none on my TV, but I do get sound out of my Pandy.

Maybe there's something funky going on with my particular Pandy, but I wind up with video on both my Pandy and my TV when I use the normal option. When I use the HW Scaler mode I wind up with no video on my Pandy and none on my TV, but I do get sound out of my Pandy.
very wierd, you should get video on both the unit and the tv screen. Which firmware are you on ?

Something isn't right with your setup. I've been playing with the TV-Out with homemade cables almost two years before the official TV-Out cable came out.. I have a good idea how it works.

very wierd, you should get video on both the unit and the tv screen. Which firmware are you on ?
It should be the most recent patch. I check most days when I turn on my Pandy. Theoretically that's how it's supposed to work, but it definitely isn't working on my unit and I don't think I'm doing anything too strange. I'll enable the TV out and then open the Program.

Something isn't right with your setup. I've been playing with the TV-Out with homemade cables almost two years before the official TV-Out cable came out.. I have a good idea how it works.
I'm not so sure about that. I'm patched up with the most recent version of firmware. And everything else is patched up as well. The unit itself is a 1ghz unit and I cannot see anything about my unit which isn't completely standard.

The HW Overlay mode is just broken as far as I can tell, it only works with SMplayer and I was reading somebody else's thread where they were having to use SMplayer for TV out because of similar issues.

SMplayer2 IS is the only media player I know of outside "the Tube" that works with the TV-Out mode.. VLC, gnome-mplayer.. etc don't work.

Many emulators like picodrive, gpfce and PNDs that use Notaz's SDL make use of that overlay (HW) layer.

SMplayer2 IS is the only media player I know of outside "the Tube" that works with the TV-Out mode.. VLC, gnome-mplayer.. etc don't work.

Many emulators like picodrive, gpfce and PNDs that use Notaz's SDL make use of that overlay (HW) layer.
I'll have to see what's going on there, because The Tube seems to only be working in a way that is apparently abnormal. Barring some change in the cables between the ones you're using and the ones I'm using, which shouldn't be relevant, I can't think of any other reason why it works for you and not for me.

I'm not even sure what the problem here is theoretically.

Back