I got an internship at Facebook!

EssoAir

Now I will control the universe with my evil advertising and sale of personal information!! >:D Mwah hahahahaha!

But in all seriousness I got an offer to be a frontend engineering intern for the summer and I'm super excited. I know a lot of you guys hate companies like Facebook, but they pay well and they look good on my resume so I felt it was a good opportunity for me.

I was actually told, to my surprise, that I'm the first freshman to get a frontend internship there. They've had freshmen for other programs, but not this one. So that's a pretty cool accomplishment I think. And the $8k/month doesn't hurt lol.

*pats EssoAir on the back* FAN-TAS-TIC man! Learn grow and use it as a stepping stone to your future.

*pats EssoAir on the back* FAN-TAS-TIC man! Learn grow and use it as a stepping stone to your future.
Thanks, man! I hope to go fulltime and then finish my degree during night school. Right now I have 3 years of school left so Id rather just do it while I work instead of being a fulltime student.

That's a nice monthly wage mate, and yes will look good on any CV, well done and hope it's fun too

That's a nice monthly wage mate, and yes will look good on any CV, well done and hope it's fun too
Thanks! I got to pick my location: London, Seattle or Menlo Park (HQ). I picked Seattle for many reasons but one of them was the lack of state income tax in Washington so I get to keep a greater percentage of my income :p haha

I'm sure it will be fun, but will also be a lot of work. Lots of 12 hour days I imagine :/

There's a good reason why they are hated.
But since you only care about money and not your reputation...
It is a huge worldwide website (probably in the top10). Like it or hate it, he will surely learn a lot. As an intern, this is perfect. He can then move to some other company or create its own once he has gathered experience.

$8k/month for an internship?
That's about what I earn in a year after working my way up for some time!
Well at least it's honest work. :p

Congratulations!
I hope you enjoy working there, because money is fine, but it's not everything ;)

There's a good reason why they are hated.
But since you only care about money and not your reputation...
My reputation??

It is a huge worldwide website (probably in the top10). Like it or hate it, he will surely learn a lot. As an intern, this is perfect. He can then move to some other company or create its own once he has gathered experience.
That's the plan. Ill stay there for a few years then move on to the next thing.

Congratulations!
I hope you enjoy working there, because money is fine, but it's not everything ;)
Not everything, but I do value financial independence

In Germany there is only a slim chance that you'll get paid as an intern unless you are doing it for a year long internship. and those are hard to get. lots of interns got ripped off hard. now we have a minimum wage law that leads to lots of companies not accepting interns at all if they can. really annoying situation. I wasn't able to accept interns myself anymore but suddenly (since I was a city employee at the time working for the local theatre in dortmund) some bureaucrat decided who would become an intern and who wouldn't. had a couple of shouting matches in some official fatasses offices because of this.

btw: this might be the normal way for a lot of businesses, but in theatre, an intern for the director is handled and picked directly by the directors assistent. these interns ("hospitanten") are vital to the operation of opera and drama theatres. it's a scandal that they weren't paid in the first place, but even worse that they even have a slimmer chance to get an internship at all because theatres still don't want to pay.

Back