I Can Offer A Prize For The Next Season

Blue Protoman

Ever hear of Totally Tiny Arcade?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nVDcLpbq4U&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Well, if you buy the game, you can send the full version of the game to three people for free! I've used two of my three invites, and I'd offer the third to whoever win the next season.

What are the conditions? First, limitations of the game;

*Totally Tiny Arcade is available only on Windows. I don't know if it'll run in WINE or not. Somebody get the demo and tell me!
*In order to send an invite, you MUST know the recipient's e-mail. It's not a link to give out, it's a direct e-mail from the TTA server.

And now for my condition; I'll offer it as a prize ONLY if next season focuses on (some of) the games that are spoofed in TTA. Preferably the arcade versions (though one or two of the games represented are console games). The two games here, while good, simply aren't retro enough for such a prize. Here's a list of the represented games.

This is a list of the three boss games.
Warning: Genuine spoilers. This is not hiding a sarcastic statement.
Each boss game has four levels, each with different gameplay. Based on other games, of course.

Star Chores (Star Wars)
Frogger, Robotron 2084, Skiing, original

World War III (No particular movie)
Commando, N-Sub, Combat, original

Fortran (Tron)
Pac-Man, original (I think), Zaxxon, original

I don't quite understand - that video shows versions of games you've not listed. Are there other games?

Edit: There are if I follow the link you gave. I assume they'd all be up for consideration (except the original ones)?

I don't vote for this idea personally - I don't have any Windows machines at the moment, but I like all the games you've listed so I wouldn't be against it as such.

I've not listed? What? I posted a link to a list.

I meant the next season being based on the source material. (Like Gyruss, Defender, etc.) Or even on other games from the era. (Like Donkey Kong; surprisingly, that didn't get a spoof in TTA.)

I think its pretty much a given that arcade classics will be covered :p There is a nomination thread, by the way :)

(And I have the arcade pcboards for Donkey Kong, Pacman, Asteroids, Galaga, and piles others. I even have Willow, but I've not fired it up in a million years. Woot ;)

jeff

Blue Protoman said:
I'll offer it as a prize ONLY if next season focuses on (some of) the games that are spoofed in TTA.
This would mean that you were effectively buying a game entry into the next season. While I do think that it is important for the league to have as many prizes as possible, it is not acceptable to accept such exchange (prize against game entry) in an unregulated way.

Here's my suggestion: This way of getting games into a season is allowed, but a public voting has to approve every single prize/game exchange with a majority of at least 2/3. Hopefully, this would make the whole process more or less "fair" even in case many people want to give prizes this way. What do you all think about this?

Blue Protoman said:
Warning: Genuine spoilers. This is not hiding a sarcastic statement.
This makes for a VERY deep and interesting insight into your personality, BlueP. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not really buying a game into next season. It's limiting the list of games we can vote on to a list of 20 or so retro games - and since there are 12 games per season, not all games will be played.

The idea doesn't seem to be getting much support so far though so I guess it's rather academic.

Personally I'm not really interested in prizes. I think people are much more likely to start cheating if they can get something out of it, and that leads to the hassle of proving scores and achievements etc.

Better to keep it for bragging rights only, at least for a while, the only prize being in knowing that you're the best. Or some kind of "sig trophy" is a good idea.

levi said:
It's not really buying a game into next season. It's limiting the list of games we can vote on to a list of 20 or so retro games - and since there are 12 games per season, not all games will be played.
Looks like I misunderstood BlueProtoman's post - I thought that by "ONLY if next season focuses on (some of) the games that are spoofed in TTA" he meant that we'd have to at least pick some of the games spoofed by TTA and, in addition to the regular, voted games, DEFINITELY play them, thereby being allowed to "cheat" the voting system (because the regular games would still have to be voted for/chosen) in exchange for a prize.

To me, your interpretation sounds even worse though. It would control the whole series, which is something that cannot be accepted - so much emphasis is put on keeping everything fair for everybody that it would undermine the whole idea behind the league and set the balancing mechanisms to risk, which might quickly become the league's death. Plus, it would be MIGHTILY unfair.

Tickles said:
Personally I'm not really interested in prizes.
It's interesting to hear what exactly it is that's making the contestants take part in the league. By knowing it, it can be improved.

Tickles said:
Or some kind of "sig trophy" is a good idea.
A good idea indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back