Hurling Game

emcp

What are your thoughts on this style of gameplay, based on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTwP2RdrIDA&feature=related
It is going to be a street / mario strikers style game

screenyeo.jpg

screenyrd.jpg

screenyl.jpg

The hardest part of game programming for me is the art and stupid stuff such as scaling of objects (ie body on the pitch)
It is only a quick mockup

also if any one wants to donate 2d images or 3d models, please contact us, i know theirs a few from ireland on these boards soo........

Interesting concept!

But i'm wondering, is this going to be a multiplayer game? Or do you have good AI programming skills? Seems like a *bad word* to program proper AI for a team based 3d game. But i could be completely wrong :)

Curious how things progress.

Cheers!!

Neat! Gotta say I've never heard of this sport before...how does the goalkeeper stop any of those shots?! :unsure:

I'm all for sports games on the Pandora! Good luck!

Judging by the video I'll say, that the sport looks interesting. However IMO the players shouldn't be allowed to hold the ball in their hand that much. If they weren't allowed to run with the ball in their hands I would call this an awesome sport.

But it would be interesting to play this game on the Pandora.

pstudio said:
Judging by the video I'll say, that the sport looks interesting. However IMO the players shouldn't be allowed to hold the ball in their hand that much. If they weren't allowed to run with the ball in their hands I would call this an awesome sport.

But it would be interesting to play this game on the Pandora.

They arnt allowed to hold the ball (much)
And they general dont do it, just when they catch the ball and are about to hit it, (dont forget they were goals, soo they were close to the nets, and didnt have far too run, which makes it look like theyre allowed to run with the ball)

theres a few more clips there, which may give a better idea of the sport
It mostly an Irish Sport, hence why you havnt heard of it before, the scots have a somewhat similar sport, although i dont particularly appreciate it
Its played a bit in London and New York (although normally antrim has to go over to ny, cause many of the members are aliens lol)

Ive chosen a funsize version, because AI would be alot more simple, basically set up advantage points, which the player run too when a team member gets the ball, alter the position slightly depending on the other players getting in the way

Its an amateur sports, so no matter what level you play it at theres no money for it, basically keeps it about entertainment and not dirty tactics.
The sports is one of the most sportsmanship field sport i know of

And regarding the goalkeeper, im still undecided on how to get him to save, i want it too look realistic
so far this is the largest let down of the 2d sprites,
btw it would be open-source, ill probably make an engine out of it, soo other lesser known sports get there highlight, soccer is dominating too much

Last edited by a moderator:
MarkoeZ said:
Interesting concept!

But i'm wondering, is this going to be a multiplayer game? Or do you have good AI programming skills? Seems like a *bad word* to program proper AI for a team based 3d game. But i could be completely wrong :)

Curious how things progress.

Cheers!!

In theory this is only 2D - not 3D. You could even render it in a terminal.
And besides that the team AI is probably not too hard as its a square field, you just have a few rules per player.

- Never heard of hurling before though, so I can't really help I think.

pstudio said:
However IMO the players shouldn't be allowed to hold the ball in their hand that much. If they weren't allowed to run with the ball in their hands I would call this an awesome sport.
Umm, btw hurling isn't some fad sport that is trying to settle on good rules. It is *at least* 2000 years old, and in Ireland it is a serious mainstream sport (not some clique/heritage-type minority sport).
I don't thing the GAA league is going to consider changing the rules based on suggestions from some guy who saw a game on u-tube. (Im not slating you, im just saying.)

It seems to me a totally crazy thing to try to base a computer game on, as in 'its crazy but it just might work...'

Personally I would go for 2 player over network/web first. It would be cool, and I think there is a big difference (and a lot of work) between getting an AI that 'works', and one that you might actually enjoy playing against. But if programming the AI is the fun part then...

I always fancied playing the (real life) game myself, but I never really got the chance. Carrying a hurly stick where I live would be suicidal.

right, im coming back to this

im not sold on the 3d, billboarding type style

ive made two different projections for a 2d version

i think 2d, would be better due to
1. its portability

right, im coming back to this

i wasnt so sold on 3d
i believe 2d, could be more visually attractive, with a lot less work

below are two possible projections, i was working on for abouts 5 mins each

hurlingtrap.png

hurlingiso.png

The problem with these, is will gameplay suffer

i was examining other games

and bizarrely fifa 09 PC was still limiting players to 8 degrees, so that was a positive

which one do yous find more comfortable, btw it may or may not be fullscreen/scrolling

thanks

any help in getting a good projection, (size and skew of pitch)
would be greatly appreciated

There was a Hurling game for the PS2. It was 3D and mainly used a side projection.

Here's a Vid, though it'll give you a headache with all the flickering :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zevfWeYOXOI

Lobo said:
There was a Hurling game for the PS2. It was 3D and mainly used a side projection.

Here's a Vid, though it'll give you a headache with all the flickering :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zevfWeYOXOI

I know, have the game

shame its not for ps3 (online), or ps1 (could play it on the pandora), its ps1 quality which just adds to the hurt
its a good game, although scoring was far too easy

anyway i dont really have time to invest in 3D, it also alot quicker easier and more portable, if its done in 2d, can really get its own unique style, which would otherwise require shaders etc in 3d. Although saying that if we could rip the models ........

and the fact that its the official game, leaves little to experiment, id like to add my own touch, powerups etc

anyway thanks for replying

ive came up with another mockup of cuboids on the field. the perspective is wrong but it was done quickly

hurlingpitchiso.png

hurlingpitchperstrap.png

hurlingpitchpersbox.png

i think the last one is best, the last two would have perspective added (gets smaller the further away)

EmuGuy said:
Neat! Gotta say I've never heard of this sport before...how does the goalkeeper stop any of those shots?! :unsure:

I'm all for sports games on the Pandora! Good luck!
Hurling is a mad sort of hockey. As far as I can tell the goalkeeper being a sensible sort is in the bar having a Guinness.

Only the other day I caught some of Gaelic football. Hell! Only saw the tail end of the match. A subtle blend of Football/Soccer(there is a goal),rugby(there are posts) and thai-kickboxing (this may be me misunderstanding things).
In this game you punch everything, the ball, the opponent and the crowd even was punching the ref after the match. The game was in the balance with Team A winning 1-10 and the other (B) trailing by the thin margin of 0-11 and in the dying second there was a mosh-pit on Team A's goal line and one member of Team B rolled over the line to score a goal. They win 1-11! Only the ball was not punched or kicked over the line. I mean, come on!

Without understanding WTF was going on. This was by far the most entertaining 10 minutes of random sport I have every watched.

Back