Hunt the Wumpus Clone

luteijn

Website
luteijn.xs4all.nl
Found some time to dig up an old small font I made myself, so can be sure it's distributable... so here's my hunt the wumpus (of 99/4a fame) clone-beta...
Who knows when I'll have time to fix the bugs you all might find, but I think it's at least playable:

http://luteijn.xs4all.nl/wumpus-0.2.6.tar.gz

download, unpack, put the .gpe somewhere on your sd card, along with the .oggs. Launch wumpus.gpe and try to figure out (or remember) the rules ;)

P.

Rules are here, except for the keymappings they ought to be correct... http://www.videogamehouse.net/huntwumpus.txt

EvilDragon said:
Nice :)
Should it also be uploaded into the archive and posted on gp32x.com news?

Not this version ;), too Beta... I hope to get some time over the weekend to package what I've got now into something I think is good enough for the archive, and upload it then.

P.

wumpus rocks :X

one of the first programs i copied from a printed version to a program that indeed runned
c64 magazines were nice :\

€:
if it's the game i remember, there's no need for screenshots, as it has the
default interface, which all good programs use :>

new version

http://luteijn.xs4all.nl/wumpus-0.2.7.tar.gz

This version fixes some bugs: not erasing 'easy' properly, bat attack after shooting and missing around a corner into a disturbed-bat-cave, more sound effects (the 'happy' tune is not 100% correct, but I haven't had opportunity to fix it yet. If anyone recognizes what it should be and has the correct notes for me, that would be great, otherwise I'll have to annoy my family some more one of these days, trying to figure it out by ear (not being a proper musician, this is annoying for people around.).)
SirDzstic said:
wumpus rocks :X

one of the first programs i copied from a printed version to a program that indeed runned
c64 magazines were nice :\

€:
if it's the game i remember, there's no need for screenshots, as it has the
default interface, which all good programs use :>

It's actually an adaptation of the classic. This one was made in the early eighties, and features caverns with 4 exits, and the map is torus-shaped, not a like a d20. You only get one arrow. Most importantly, it has (8x8 character-cell-based, 2 colors per cell) graphics! And really is quite addictive. You can recompile it to make really big mazes too (the gp2x screen can't handle more than 2 more columns and one more row, but that's still something.. and I could eventually make it zoom&scroll the map, make a neo-version that would use full color and better graphics etc..)

wumpus-shot.gif

Yes, it's not stretched/using the full screen. This is on purpose, as the original was at 256*192. I did color the 'overscan' area black, instead of white, to make it more clear where the wrapping occurs. Also the heart of the source is already quite old, and I'm actually considering moving it away from SDL.

Back