Huge Kudos!

Winterkid

Website
Visit site
Tonight I played an entire game of Countdown to Meltdown for the C64.

I played several great games on GPFCE including the original Mario Bros, River City Ransom, 8 games of Donkey Kong Jr, and a very long game of TETRIS 2. (Level 32 before I lost, not bad on that one)

I played several games of FreeDroid and many games of Omok. Quite addicting that Omok. I won like ten out of sixty plus games of it. The AI is pretty tough to get the best of

All this got me to thinking about the coders, not only the ones who made the games and emulators I've played tonight, but ALL the coders and programmers and the port makers and the people who come up with all the great ideas and the art and the stories for them.

This message I made for you, to say thank you. You have done, and hopefully will continue to create and recreate the programs and games and scripts to make the GP2X one of the BEST open handhelds on the market today.

I'm quite sure that they would also like some kinda economic compensation, just my two cents :lol:

No, I do agree with the fact that they do provide us all with countless hours of entertainment, I hope to be developing something soon, it'll either be a big headache or an RPG ( whatever comes first :lol: ).

Keep up the good work everyone, I'll raise my beer to salute you :blink:

Seconded (or rather, fourthed).

I was playing Freedroid for ages earlier today. Also played through the whole of Oh! The Humanity, a (long) level of Quake, got hooked on Super Metroid all over again (very playable using transhacks), discovered the Gameboy's version of Boulderdash (very different!), a quick zap on GBC Dropzone, marveled at Art of Fighting 3 running fullspeed on a handheld, and fiddled with Carrier Command on ST.

Yeah, I've been procrastinating from work way too much today (I call it "taking regular breaks to refresh" :ph34r: )

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad to see FreeDroid is so popular.

I'm quite sure that they would also like some kinda economic compensation, just my two cents :lol:

That would be nice (even two cents :) ) but it's a bit of a tricky one for someone like me who's just spent a few hours porting existing software, which the original developers have spent months creating.

The other thing is money changes the relationship between developer and user - I port games I'd like to be able to play on my GP2X and I enjoy development (I know it's sad but it's my hobby :) ). If there are problems, I like to fix them because I don't like to do a shoddy job, but this may not be my top priority, if I've got newer projects on the go. If I'm getting donations, I'd feel under pressure to fix things and it ends up as a job rather than a hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, true, but even so, none of you should say no to a bit of cash that in turn can buy the beer that could in turn fuel your imagination :blink: .

Ok, maybe not quite like that, but your hours of work mean something to the people that spend hours using it B) ... Anyway, it is optional :lol:

Nice topic Winterkid. May I add my thanks to the dev's for all their great work. Without them we would all be the proud owners of the worlds most expensive flashlight.

Well, I posted it for several reasons... Firstly cause the forum's been overrun by a bit of negativity about the array of available software, so I wanted the devs to at least know there IS appreciation. Money is great, and all, but I was sure they wouldn't mind reading how appreciated they are.

Secondly, as I was playing all the games on the 2X the other day and having a generally good time, I took a break for a drink, and thought about all the effort it takes to make excellent games. Also how much hard work it takes to make a machine act like another machine.

(Also to shout to the world that I love Countdown to Meltdown for the C64)

I don't get it. I get it if you are giving thanks to the emulator/port developers (which get much more appriciation than homebrew developers), but you are thanking the people that made the games that you can play on emulators? Who in this forum can recieve thanks from that?

not only the ones who made the games and emulators I've played tonight, but ALL the coders and programmers and the port makers and the people who come up with all the great ideas and the art and the stories for them.

This message I made for you, to say thank you. You have done, and hopefully will continue to create and recreate the programs and games and scripts to make the GP2X one of the BEST open handhelds on the market today.

From my first post, JaqAss.

It's for all the coders of all the software for the 2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back