How To Remove The Joystick Cap

Shado23

Still Fresh
I finally got me a gp2x. (from gp2x.co.uk)
It features the mk2 cap with a circle on it and the one with the gp2x lettering that came with it seems to have better grip,
so I tried to just pull it off.
I tried for about half an hour and applied a considerable amount of strength, then thought that this can't be that hard and also I don't want to damage the stick itself.

So my question is if they maybe started gluing them on, or if there is some kind of secret trick to get it off.

Thanks in advance.

Try almost "screwing" it off
Hmm, I started that and it seemed to loosen a bit, but then I wasn't sure if it wasn't the actual stick moving, so I stopped.
Guess I'll give it another try.

Edit: Worked perfectly, guess this stick is more durable than people make it seem. ;)
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
wierd, mine just comes off (and i do it quite a bit when put the 2x in my pocket) wierd tho... cause t he original cap is a tight fit but isnt that hard to take off...mabey their put on differently now?

yer my replacement cap just falls off - its really annoying cos i prefer using it i might glue it on but i fink i might regret it later

yer my replacement cap just falls off - its really annoying cos i prefer using it i might glue it on but i fink i might regret it later

i think some of the blue loctite on there should do the trick, that's what i use for paintball. Just don't put more then 1 drop in!!!

I also have problem removing mk2 gp2x joystick cap, tried unscrewing and it seems like its loose but still no luck.

is the other cap with gp2x on any better to use

CAI posted on Dec 5 2006 at 01:08 PM said:
I also have problem removing mk2 gp2x joystick cap, tried unscrewing and it seems like its loose but still no luck.

is the other cap with gp2x on any better to use

just do what i did...play SVCchaos for a full two weeks straight till your eyes burn...those quarter turn "Ho-Du-Kens" will grind the shit out of the joystick cap and then it will just fall out ;) (quite easily I might add)

Wish I had seen this thread earlier, spent ages trying to remove the cap and finally removed it with a gentle twist.

This is how I managed it, to try the cap that came with my GP2x - the one with 'GP2X' across the cap. However, this other cap doesn't stay on very well and doesn't go down as far on the shaft due to the cap construction. The GP2X text is also on at a strange angle rather than being straight, so I may stick with the old cap as I know it won't easily get lost!

I lost that one after a couple of days... I also have the "GP2X" signed cap. It controlls much better then the other one, but it already came of like 10 times in 3 weeks...

Although I have the protection bag, I never used it, cause I think it's kinda irritating to: open it up, press select, press R(could be more then once), press select again close it, (then discover you'd closed it the wrong way so it doesn't shut), get irritated, find the bag irritating. <_<

The 2X should have a remote (cordless or with cord) to switch tracks...

wierd, mine just comes off (and i do it quite a bit when put the 2x in my pocket) wierd tho... cause t he original cap is a tight fit but isnt that hard to take off...mabey their put on differently now?
My GP2X cap from Craig just falls off, so I used a little bit of paper and it's great now :)

Back