how to organize pandora

Lao Rebel

im new on Pandora. i am curious about how you guys organize your pandora. should i put games on one flash card, and apps on the other one? give me some advice. Flash cards are very expensive and i want to know how best to use them.

Most apps will automatically create an associated folder within the appdata directory on the same card upon first running the PND. Quite a few emulators will allow you to store game roms wherever you like, then you'll locate them after runing the PND. I've put most of my really big games files and associated PNDs (eg. SCUMMVM games and PS1 ISO's) on a seperate card to the smaller programs, but that's simply due to size issues!

im new on Pandora. i am curious about how you guys organize your pandora. should i put games on one flash card, and apps on the other one? give me some advice. Flash cards are very expensive and i want to know how best to use them.

Though I don't entirely agree with you on the cost factor, I can see where you're coming from. As far as I understand, you'd want all your apps/OS on one card, and data (music, movies, docs, etc) on another. Anyone care to confirm/refute? I'm a noob as well, so don't quote me on that.

Hi Lao Rebel & welcome.

Where are you buying your SDHC cards from?

What size cards are you using?

I've got 2 of these bad boys for my Pandora. Could just be my age but solid state storage at less than £1 per Gb still seems a oddly cheap to me.

As to How to organize the cards then I've found that Apps & Roms on one card and Video & Audio (+ PSX Isos) on the other works well for me.

I have two 32GB cards

Card one has all of my pandora apps, pnds, and roms, swap partition etc - Also keep a back up of the latest OS unpacked on the root of that card

Card two has all of my media on it in sub directories.

I always try to keep my cards in the same slot too, (left for card 1) ( right for card 1)

It makes it easier to just update my "apps" if I keep them separate from my media

Some also have a third card for alternative os

This being said do what works best for you.

I run the OS off of the NAND, and just use one card (16GB) for everything (I don't have much). I also keep a spare card around if I want to boot off the SD (Debian).

But yeah, I just sort of toss what I need on one card, and back it up like crazy as I don't trust it, ha.

I personally have two 8GB cards labelled "SD_APPS" (for PNDs) and "SD_DATA" (for ROMs and other content). What's interesting to note is SD_APPS has over 5 GB of free space, whereas SD_DATA has only around 500 MB. Most of the card is taken up by the few CD images (mostly PSX) I have.

I run a single SD, using the spare slot for whatever you use spare slots for. All apps, games, emulators and ROMs are on the one card.

The one thing I do outside the standard folder structure is create a /roms folder, and within that a folder for each emulated system. This keeps all your ROMs in one place, instead of scattered throughout /appdata.

[edit] Anecdote: My 16GB SD card fell apart, so for now I'm running a puny 2GB card. It's been doing the job surprisingly well for a couple of months now; you just have to manage your content instead of mass dumping it there. No PSX games on that card though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an SD card for .PND/roms/downloads

A 2nd SD card for music/video/pictures

One SD has Beta software for recovery in root, the 2nd SD card has an older Firmware bootable root if in slot 1, in case sh!t hits the fan.

I have two 32GB cards in mine. In the left slot, I have folders "A" through "M", and in the right slot I have folders "N" to "Z". Each folder (except the "Pandora" folder) is a single letter. For example, SNES ROMs are in "A", Megadrive are in "B", Speccy in "C", Amiga in "D"... you get the idea.

That way I can not only quickly locate what I'm looking for (Oh, you need a copy of Turrican for GB? That's in folder "J" then!), but I know which SD Card a particular game or PND is going to go onto - Emulators that use ROMs in the first 13 folders sit on SD card 1, others on SD Card 2. If one SD Card gets full (I used to have a 16GB card in the left hand slot, and PSX ISOs would fill up the "F" folder) then optional numbered folders can be used on the other SD Card - "1" would be for overflow Spectrum games, "2" would be PSX, "3" would be GBA, "4" for GB etc.

It's a neat way to do things, and keeps the ls listings tidy!

D.

I have two 32GB cards in mine. In the left slot, I have folders "A" through "M", and in the right slot I have folders "N" to "Z". Each folder (except the "Pandora" folder) is a single letter. For example, SNES ROMs are in "A", Megadrive are in "B", Speccy in "C", Amiga in "D"... you get the idea.

That way I can not only quickly locate what I'm looking for (Oh, you need a copy of Turrican for GB? That's in folder "J" then!), but I know which SD Card a particular game or PND is going to go onto - Emulators that use ROMs in the first 13 folders sit on SD card 1, others on SD Card 2. If one SD Card gets full (I used to have a 16GB card in the left hand slot, and PSX ISOs would fill up the "F" folder) then optional numbered folders can be used on the other SD Card - "1" would be for overflow Spectrum games, "2" would be PSX, "3" would be GBA, "4" for GB etc.

It's a neat way to do things, and keeps the ls listings tidy!

D.

:blink: Surely you're going to kick yourself when you leave the SD card alone for a couple of years and then come back to it... :p

Why do you say that? "J" is clearly the obvious choice of folders to file a GB Turrican Rom in.

;)

Back