How to disable avatars?

sporkbox

I couldn't find the appropriate place to post this, so I figured "General" would be the closest.

I've scoured the "My Settings" area and cannot for the life of me find out where to disable seeing avatars. I can choose to ignore signatures, but not avatars. Is this functionality available in IPB 3? One would think it's possible...

Maybe someday one of them will have boobs.

Or maybe he's going for minimalism for page load times and wants to disable as many graphics as possible. If the second thing is the reason then I would suggest using a browser setting to disable images or even page styles.

So the options are skinning (which requires admin access to the board(s) in question) or disabling it on my side...

Well, thanks for the info. It's pretty pathetic of IPB to charge for their forum software and then some third party asks for $5 for something a CSStard could do. :angry:

Good news is, 2 clicks with Adblock got rid of the problem. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, most avatars are fine, but sometimes you get really distracting avatars, possibly offensive in some way. But there's several reasons that one might want block avatars... I don't currently have any blocked.

why would anyone want to block avatars anyway? they are not advertisements after all?

It clutters things and adds unnecessary load times to forum pages. A more relevant question would be "Why can't users disable this in a profile option?" Note that the question is rhetorical; I know you're not an IP Board dev.

Or you could do what I do - live in a rural area where the wifi company's always say 2 more weeks tell you that you can get it , then 2 weeks later when the technician comes - oh sorry our jurisdiction ends 2 miles down the road . If you'd like you could have ditch with a cable for 90 cents a foot dug . Then your forced to use a IPhone belonging to someone else because it's faster than dial up . The vat of tars won't load half the time then .

Use AdBlocker and add a rule for this forum avatars, so they won't load. Problem fixed.

Back