Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 220 Mhz

• 236 Mhz

• 256 Mhz (or higher?)

• Total voters

180mhz with Drmd, though I think it may crash after about an hour, that could be just batteries though

one of them is 166Mhz, another is not tested past 166Mhz and the one I gave to my friend goes 254Mhz (or was it 252Mhz?...) on gpquake.

Mein only goes up to 144, maybe 150. I feel so tempted to use the pencil trick :'( You know what? All or nothing god damn it, I'll do the pencil trick right this minute :ph34r:

And what a glorious story it was: (my GP32 Blu+ only OC'ed to 144Mhz max.)

> I opened the GP32, found R52, stroked it a bit with a sharp B pencil. Result: freezes at 160Mhz

> Re-opened it, added more graphite to it. Result: stable at 172Mhz

> The greedy bastard inside me listened to its monkey brain and concluded that the more graphite you add, the higher it will OC. Result: freezes at anything past 144Mhz

> I got a small piece of kneadable eraser, put it on top of a screwdriver, and pat R52 until all graphite was removed. At that point I also added a bit of graphite on R48 to reduce voltage, so I cleaned that off too.

> Added some graphite. Result: stable at 160Mhz, freezes at 166Mhz

> Since I wanted to reach the 172Mhz I once had and lost, I added more graphite. Result: stable 166Mhz

> Added a tad bit more, and: Result: stable at 188Mhz, and OC'es without 'instantly' freezing at 200Mhz

All initial tests were done with DrMD, and let me tell you that full speed Sonic the Hedgehog, Lotus2, and Streetracer with FS0 is bliss. As is super smooth 166Mhz Goldeneye on GPDoom and relatively faster Quake on GPQuake. The only thing I need to test now is some SNES, Donkey Kong Country and F-Zero come to mind.

I would like to thank jcabrer for sharing his Pencil Trick mod with us, and Trooper for assuring me that it won't break my GP32 :D All I can wonder now is how high it would have OC'ed were it a native 166Mhz.

Last edited by a moderator:
i get about 185 when my batteries are full but find that i can barley overclock at all on a low charge i have a theory that part of the reason for different results depends on the batteries people are using i shall test that theory when they eventually realease 3000mah energizer batteries for under £10

I was excited to be able to overclock to 188Mhz, but I found that I have no use for it except for GPQuake, GPDoom, and OpenSnes. DrMD does everything fullspeed at 144-166Mhz with FS1.

I encountered one problem though: sometimes when playign the homebrew game Samurai, the game sometimes randomly reboots my GP32. I did not play the game long before I used the pencil trick, is it possible to crash because of it or is it simply a coincidence?

I was excited to be able to overclock to 188Mhz, but I found that I have no use for it except for GPQuake, GPDoom, and OpenSnes. DrMD does everything fullspeed at 144-166Mhz with FS1.

I encountered one problem though: sometimes when playign the homebrew game Samurai, the game sometimes randomly reboots my GP32. I did not play the game long before I used the pencil trick, is it possible to crash because of it or is it simply a coincidence?

I`m pretty sure it`s just a coincidence as i have 2 GP32 Blu`s (not +), One is pencil tricked (204mhz) and one is standard 166mhz (172mhz max) and everything i try in the standard GP32 (including roms) works in the pencil tricked one.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Only through circuit modification, one type a faster, rather unpredictable, with a certain type of pencil (can't recall the exact type, you can search if you like) and drawing a couple lines across two specific resistors.

The other by getting two resistors or two different measurements and replacing two of them on the motherboard, which means you have to desolder the old ones and replace them with the new ones. Which can boost the maximum speed of the CPU by allowing it more voltage to work with.

I did the #2 mod on my GP32 before I sold it, and I had a stable 240mhz with non-rechargables, 256 with the AC adaptor, one of the fastest Ive ever read about, however Ive read about 15 or so that beat mine, stable

overall, took about 2 hours of trial and error to get those results

~Octavious

Back